smoke and fire news

Dutchman

I'm not much for flooding my mailbox with junk, but I received a sample copy of Smoke and Fire News. Of course I would happen to get the one copy i've ever seen with the Kalmar Nykel as the Centerfold. Over all it seems to have some informative articles and lots of listings.

Does anyone have a subscription and is it worth looking into as a regular read?

A lot of the period sutlery have finally begun to catch on that the serious period pyrate re-enactor community is another source for trade.....most have been so busy with F&I, RevWar that they can't book the smaller festivals (by comparison to their known venues) but they want to broaden their revenues like any good business and what better way than with pyrates hungry for good period kit!!! I have read Smoke and Fire over the years and dealt with them even before I had gotten into Pyracy. They are a good outfit.

B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)

• 3 weeks later...

I am subsrcibed to Smoke and Fire because I also do F&I and Rev War, and Rennaisance. There really isn't all that much in it for pirates, but it is starting to improve.

One thing that is useful though is reading about other reenactments and making notes of the things that worked well for them and trying to find ways in which those practices might be adapted to making a pirate event work better.

My group "the Great Lakes River Pirates" mostly attends pre-1840 time line events, in the states around lake Michigan. The event listings in S&F are great for finding new regional events where one can meet new people who also are interested in piracy even if they happen to be a Voyageur at the even at which you meet.

But once you have one issue, the value of the event listing drops way down for the next few issues.

So to answer the question. Yes it is worth subscribing to, sort of...

Your most and obliged humble servant,

William Dezoma