New boat (Stolen of course...)

Just finished building this... Er, I mean I stole it from the limeys... That's why it has all the British markings... Yeah...

All the iron parts are hand-forged except the swivel gun. (Yes, it really fires...)

:lol:;)

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

Wow ! Congrats sir on your super PLUNDER ., very nice indeed sir :lol:

Well done !

Rich

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Well done... nice new toy!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

nicely done.. do you happen to know what set of plans... the.. er.. um.. limeys.. used and i'm sure that you were also able to secure detailed accounts of their ventures building it as well that pubbers might enjoy reading.....

in short.... good gosh man! share the adventure!!!!!!!!!!

Get this book: (It has complete plans)

Building the Pirogues, Jim Jacobs

Building the Pirogue; Creating a Cheap and Ideal Boat for Hunting, Fishing and Voyaging, by Jim Jacobs. A thorough, step-by step guide detailing the materials needed and how to cut the parts and bring them together to build a handy little boat. Included are tables for part angles and the dimensions of the parts for pirogue of four different sizes, as well as the formulas used to figure the parts dimensions. A novice who only plans on building one boat using a set plan can build a good boat in a couple of spare weekends using this book, but there's also enough detailed information provided to enable someone to do their own engineering and designing should they “catch the bug” and decide to go further. 29 pages, over 50 illustrations

$ 15.00

Click here for a picture of what it looks like without my "customizing"...

It can be bought here: Blue Heron Mercantile

Or you can buy a basic kit: Blue Heron BoatKit

I chose to build it myself off the plans. I wanted to make modifications and I had to hand-forge all the metal parts myself. The plans can be a little tricky, but if you're handy with wood and know a thing or two about boats, you'll do fine.

I plan on building more boats like this, so it's likely that someone could talk me into building them one for the right amount of swag... :lol:

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.ladywashington.org

she seems to be flat bottomed, how is her stability? she seems to sit a tad low with two people aboard, how much freeboard is left and did the designer mention how much weight can she safely carry?

Just finished building this...

IMG_1287.jpg

Wow! That's awesome...

Oh, you me the wee one in the foreground?

:lol:

Very nice. I am building cabinets and having enough trouble with those; I can't imagine dealing with something with all those curves. (A common problem for me, to be sure.) I really like the hardware you used. How did you make that?

*Edit - actually, upon reading Dutch's post and looking closer there appear to be few curves - it's all angles. However, this ruins the joke, so I stick to my original comment. To my engineering brain, angles would indeed seem to make it more susceptible to wobbliness in the water.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

She does sit low in the water, but that's what gives it stability. And yet it's still a shallow enough draft to be able to get through marshes and swamps. She can safely carry about 450 lbs. Gets scary above 500lbs...

When I first tried her out, I thought it was a little tippy, but then I learned how to use it and realized that it's actually more stable than a canoe. The only thing I will do differently on the next one is I will make it a little wider. Flat bottomed boats are very stable, but the wider you make them, the more stable it becomes.

The flagpole and swivel gun throw off the balance a bit, but it's still not any worse than an average canoe. Without them it becomes increasingly more stable. Wider would allow it to accomodate the cannon and flag better. Wider still and with a leeboard added, it would be a fine sailing vessel... That's the plan for number three...

;)

Mission,

The hardware is hand-forged... I used a coal fire, anvil, hammer, tongs, etc and some scrap steel. Next time I make hardware, I'll take pictures. It's easier than explaining how to do it...

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

What's the GR stand for?

Good Riddance? ;)

(Teasing)

Well done lad! ;)

GR stands for "Georgeus Rex", which is Latin for "King George". It's a mark of distiction stating that the item with said mark is the property of the Crown. The broad arrow is always in accompaniement to it.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

• 3 weeks later...