Repro Ear Scoops and Personal Hygiene Items?

Misson

Actually, if you read back a few posts, I already ordered one. But thanks to everyone for the suggestions! :P (Wes, talk to me about the bone saw, though. ;) I'm also looking for a brace trepan like one of the ones on my webpage here.)

Below are some photos of similar ones...although a few of these have plastic handles which would be either wood (preferably) or unplated metal.

mvc-003f.jpg

neurosurgery__trepan_Lictenberger.jpg

bracetrepan.jpg

(That first one is wrong for our period. )

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

For those of you hungering for a repro-ear scoop (and I know I am talking to many thousands of people here) PoD found this one for me on eBay UK. At US $8.45 shipped, I don't think you can beat it. I've added one to my medical collection. This is also a personal item that a gentleman (and thus, further down the thieving food chain, a pirate) might have had as well. I'll post my thoughts on it once I receive it.

Thanks PoD! ;)

Looks quite a lot like the one Scarlet Scarab shows in their catalogue. But at a much better pice!

Plus now I can say I got it from the mother country. ;)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here ya go Mr. Mission...banged this out after I got off duty today:

Medspoon1.jpg

Medspoon2.jpg

Medspoon3.jpg

Sorry..had to use my phone camera....

Forgot to add...it needs to be filed and buffed

Edited by wes1761

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

Wow, that looks really good based on what I could see from blowing up the picture! And you did it in one night!? Awesome work! Let me know what you want for it via pm and I'll get you my address and so forth as well.

FYI (for those of you who are not Wes), this is actually not an ear scoop, it is a spatula mundani. John Woodall invented this and he shows this and three other types of similar devices in his schematic for the 1639 edition of the surgions mate. You can read more about this charming device at the Jamestown Discovery site.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Do you know what sort of finish was on these? It would be really easy to charcoal blue it. I am assuming it was not painted since it was a medical instrument.....

Wes

I believe it was just raw steel. If you were able to put something on it to prevent rusting, though, that might be a good thing based on my past experiences.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Heres a better pic with some buffing done:

CIMG2909.jpg

spoon end:

CIMG2910.jpg

I'll send it out after I get a mailing tube....me no want a bendy!!! Hope it works for ya Mr. Mission!!

Wes

Very cool. I like the finish on it - it looks period. I look forward to holding it. (Imaging having that thing stuck up...never mind.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 month later...

I thought this (up for auction on eBay) was kind of cool for an ear scoop. It's a little pricey for my needs, but perhaps not outrageously so for someone who does period impressions with kids.

Mission_banner5.JPG