My big plan for next summer

Silent

(please move this post if needed)

Sorry I've been MIA for god only knows how long. I'm 22 years old so I've been trying to live it up the best I can. Got addicted to a few online games, kicked that habit out the door and now just trying to enjoy the outdoors and life.

So the past few weeks my best buddy of mine who I've known since high school, a real good guy, like the brother I never had, hell I've even saved his life, twice. Anyway, him and I were sitting around talking about the prices of things and how crazy gas is getting. How we don't enjoy our jobs or the city we live in and really just having one of those drunken talks but haven't been drinking kind of talks if you know what I mean and well we realized we are very young and the world is there for the taking.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. I grew up with very little and I can appreciate the things I have and I don't need much to be happy. Same as him, he lives in a small apt with not much either, we're pretty much in the same boat. I even thought about joining the army a few years back just because I really didn't know what to do. Life is crazy like that sometimes I guess.

BUT ANYWAY this is what we are planning on for hopes for next year, next summer. We both love the ocean, it puts us at a calm, a since of peace. We both love music and love to play music. So we figure why not live out our dream of being "pirates." More less meaning, do what we want for the most part, go to work when we want and live where we want.

<<<<<<<POINT OF THE STORY>>>>>>>>

Sorry, him and I are planning on buying a sailboat next year, maybe a 28footer or if we can afford it something bigger and nicer. A liveaboard boat and we are going to live on that and sail up and down the Washington Puget Sound until we get good at sailing and who knows, the world is our oyster. Maybe go down to Cali for the winter or Hawaii. For food we will fish, go to food banks, maybe even get donations. We were even thinking about pitching the idea to T.V. networks for a reality show. For extra cash we'll go ashore and do musical street performances and if need be we'll dock and work normal jobs but the idea is to be free like pirates, go where we want with out being held back by rent, electric bills, gas stuff like that. We'll be having the time of our life's living out our dream. We are young, no need to settle down now.

Before the year is up we are going to be attending a sailing school, learning our musical instruments and saving cash for the boat. I just wanted to share that with you all, I'm really excited.

I'll keep you posted! ;)

Good luck with that. May I suggest that you set specific goals (with dates of accomplishment) to turn your fantasy into a plan. When you write (long hand) such things down fantasy starts to becomes reality and you begin to see (and are able to fix) the holes in your plan. You'll also be surprised how much that will help you stay your course and achieve your ends.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Well done. :D

Fair Winds and God Speed lads!

(What do you both play that you'll be take'n on board this ship?) :(

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Listen to Papa lad.

I am a yacht broker and I have heard many a story. Get a job in a boat yard. Go to community Col. and study marine diesel or marine electronics.

get on a boat and go to sea when you can. Learn a trade get your 100 Ton ticket. There is a great need for marine professionals.

Rember. the seaman of the GAP had a trade! Learn a trade and you will be valued. The route you are going is the easy way that will get you no where!

lad, I am from an ocean going family. The biggest compliment that I ever heard was from an eighty year old retired captain. He said, "your George's son? Damn good seaman!"

The sea is work! Work be fore you head out. Dare to be great!

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

(please move this post if needed)

Sorry I've been MIA for god only knows how long. I'm 22 years old so I've been trying to live it up the best I can. Got addicted to a few online games, kicked that habit out the door and now just trying to enjoy the outdoors and life.

So the past few weeks my best buddy of mine who I've known since high school, a real good guy, like the brother I never had, hell I've even saved his life, twice. Anyway, him and I were sitting around talking about the prices of things and how crazy gas is getting. How we don't enjoy our jobs or the city we live in and really just having one of those drunken talks but haven't been drinking kind of talks if you know what I mean and well we realized we are very young and the world is there for the taking.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. I grew up with very little and I can appreciate the things I have and I don't need much to be happy. Same as him, he lives in a small apt with not much either, we're pretty much in the same boat. I even thought about joining the army a few years back just because I really didn't know what to do. Life is crazy like that sometimes I guess.

BUT ANYWAY this is what we are planning on for hopes for next year, next summer. We both love the ocean, it puts us at a calm, a since of peace. We both love music and love to play music. So we figure why not live out our dream of being "pirates." More less meaning, do what we want for the most part, go to work when we want and live where we want.

<<<<<<<POINT OF THE STORY>>>>>>>>

Sorry, him and I are planning on buying a sailboat next year, maybe a 28footer or if we can afford it something bigger and nicer. A liveaboard boat and we are going to live on that and sail up and down the Washington Puget Sound until we get good at sailing and who knows, the world is our oyster. Maybe go down to Cali for the winter or Hawaii. For food we will fish, go to food banks, maybe even get donations. We were even thinking about pitching the idea to T.V. networks for a reality show. For extra cash we'll go ashore and do musical street performances and if need be we'll dock and work normal jobs but the idea is to be free like pirates, go where we want with out being held back by rent, electric bills, gas stuff like that. We'll be having the time of our life's living out our dream. We are young, no need to settle down now.

Before the year is up we are going to be attending a sailing school, learning our musical instruments and saving cash for the boat. I just wanted to share that with you all, I'm really excited.

I'll keep you posted! :blink:

Congrats on such a fabulous goal. My significant other and I are both on the way to making this happen , we're a bit older and plan to buy something bigger but like Mission said, the best thing you can do is set smaller goals working up to the bigger goal to make it happen. Just doing it is really challenging and setting yourself up for success is for the best.

My advice, get on a Crew- either private or volunteer- and SAIL SAIL SAIL! Learn from the bottom up as part of a Crew, get down the basics, volunteer or sign up to do a short cruise with a boat (moving it or on a work aboard) and get a handle on live aboard. Or find a sailing school with a college semester on a ship (I know Long Island University in NY has one but so do other places) take out a student loan and take a sailing class that lasts 4 months cruise around, and learn skills and such which can help both with the goal and also with a trade.

Financial advice: Buy the boat outright, don't take a loan. (meaning don't screw up the credit card issues) save twice as much as the boat you will need to buy it, you'll need to make sure the boat is sea worthy and well equipped if you are going out into the Pacific.

Always always always get boat insurance (its super cheap compared to cars but someone will come save your butt if something breaks).

Other than that, SAIL! ASA classes are great and will provide you good knowledge but nothing will prepare you with the confidence and experience you will need like sailing with a unpaid or paid Crew somewhere. This may be a good place to start for Crew opening and reading about other people who have done this: http://sailnet.com/forums/cmps_index.php

Gain a skill that you can do anywhere in a marina/travel environment- be it on the water or at a bar. It'll help you with income when you need some!

Last bit of advice, do it! But do it smartly and be prepared. Living conditions are easy to deal with but being ready for the weather and safety for boat/yourself/crew is most important! So I wish you luck, because I know how much work it is to be on your way to do this.

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg