WWII Reenactment Fun

Duchess

A few weeks back I was involved with a group of pilots who were hired up to provide air support for a WWII reenactment day. Good thing too since the Allies were really out numbered!

img2058ks5.th.jpg

img2077bt3.th.jpg

img2054lx6.th.jpg

img2032se1.th.jpg

Interesting jewelry those allied pilots wore.

Did you have to make your plane look period?

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

ha yes, and that helmet isn't exactly period either. :rolleyes: But I'm all for safety and frankly no one on the ground can see the necklace. We weren't THAT low.

The plane I was in (nav. /gunner on this run) is a fairly stock end of the war already. All five planes were either AT6 Texans or SNJ's, which are just the army and navy versions of the same plane.

You got to fly a real war-era plane? Cool! For some reason I thought you were flying your plane. How did it compare to newer planes? How different were the controls from modern planes? Have you ever flown an F4U Corsair? (I love Baa Baa Black Sheep.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

I actually got my complex/high performance rating in AT6. Really they fly just like everything else. The landing gear is a bit narrow so they can be squirrely on the ground and it is more maneuverable than common civilian only planes. Basically it is a big, heavy under powered fully aerobatic bird. And of course it sounds better than just about anything with that big round engine. :rolleyes:

I've never flown a Corsair, but if I had a list it would be on there. In the warbird community time in a T6 is what opens the doors to everything else, so I'm just building time.

Wow, Duchess, I'm impressed! I had no idea you were a pilot.

I sent the links to my dad. He's been a pilot for over 50 yrs, and is still flying. He has flown a Corsair, which is an extreamly difficult plane to fly, due to the huge amount of engine torc. I guess that was the biggest reason they lost pilots during the war while training them. My dad flew it so well, he got a compliment from the man who owned the plane. I believe he did this in Texas, but I can't remember the airfield. It's the place they have the Confederate Air Force collection of vintage planes. I think I got that right. It's been a long time ago that he flew the plane.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

It's the place they have the Confederate Air Force collection of vintage planes.

Owing to the PC thought police it's now the "Commemorative" Air Force. The organization was catching flak because of the "joke" designation of being Confederate. Instead of having a fight over stuff that was a non-issue to flying they changed the name. The prudent thing for them to do, but geeze, nobody can take a joke anymore.

:rolleyes:

The organization was originally known as the "Confederate Air Force." Following a membership vote in 2001 and made effective on January 1, 2002, the organization is now known as the Commemorative Air Force.

CAF Official History Page

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

:rolleyes: Figures.

But you know, us non-PC types can call it what we like! :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I sent the links to my dad. He's been a pilot for over 50 yrs, and is still flying. He has flown a Corsair, which is an extreamly difficult plane to fly, due to the huge amount of engine torc. I guess that was the biggest reason they lost pilots during the war while training them.

Really? In some perverse way that just makes them more interesting IMO.

I'm not sure it was about a joke. I believe at the time the CAF had just acquired a C model Mustang flown by the Tuskegee Airmen and it was a bit hard to get funding to rebuild it and develop an educational program around the Airmen and the plane while calling themselves the Confederate Air Force.

The airport is Midland, TX.

Tailwheel airplanes (nearly all warbirds) take much more skill and proficiency to fly than trikes (nearly all modern airplanes). That and the extra power and maneuverability are what make the difference.

QUOTE (Ransom @ Jul 10 2008, 10:17 AM)

I sent the links to my dad. He's been a pilot for over 50 yrs, and is still flying. He has flown a Corsair, which is an extreamly difficult plane to fly, due to the huge amount of engine torc. I guess that was the biggest reason they lost pilots during the war while training them. 

Really? In some perverse way that just makes them more interesting IMO.

...and that's why we had "Pappy" Boyington.

say, anyone remember the tv show Baa Baa Black Sheep?

SHIP2-1.jpg

Yep, mentioned it one one of my posts above. Great show. The planes were cool. I have Boynton's book, but I haven't read it yet. I may save it for Key West. (Boynton actually played a character on the show in one episode.)