THIS JUST IN...NO MORE PIRATES IN GASPARILLA!!!

Paisley

By KATHRYN WEXLER, Times Staff Writer

© St. Petersburg Times

published December 25, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA -- Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla, the all-men's club that founded Tampa's oldest parade, is tired of other krewes stealing its thunder.

So beginning on the parade's centennial in 2004, Ye Mystic Krewe has decided it should be the only group allowed to dress as pirates.

"We fund it," said Fred Dobbins, captain of Ye Mystic Krewe. "We want to remain established as the leader and the reason this parade exists. Therefore, we want to re-establish our identity as a group of pirates storming the city."

Other krewes learned of the new mandate during a meeting several weeks ago at the Tampa Yacht Club. The news sent a murmur through the crowd, which numbered about 100.

Ye Mystic Krewe organizes the parade, decides who participates, lines up corporate sponsorship and says it chips in about $500,000 of its own money every year.

So when it comes to Gasparilla, the group gets what it wants.

Some parade participants are not happy.

"Ye Mystic Krewe can't dictate to the others, especially if there's some historical significance to their costumes," said Eddie Adams Jr., president of Grand Krewe of Libertalia, which is modeled on a multiracial band of pirates that once roamed the Caribbean.

"We have our own traditions, our own events. We wear pirate costumes for everything we do," said Adams, an architect.

It's unclear how many of the 35 krewes will be affected by the no-pirate rule. Ye Mystic Krewe spokesmen declined to provide numbers. One group, Ye Krewe of Sir Henry Morgan, was just admitted to the 2003 parade and will have to alter its pirate theme for 2004.

Its captain, Gerard Didier, hasn't broached the issue with his krewe members. He's hoping they don't vote to cancel all future participation in the parade.

"I just didn't want to stir it up before Gasparilla because we're going to have a lot of members who are going to be disappointed," said Didier, a merchant marine in real life. "We put a lot of hard work into this."

For much of the parade's history, Ye Mystic Krewe ruled supreme. A group of 40 of Tampa's most successful businessmen started the club in 1904. They paraded that year through south Tampa in pirate costumes -- homespun celebrities for a day.

They have marched nearly every year since, and in later years allowed a few other krewes to join them. But in 1991, when the parade was to coincide with the Super Bowl in Tampa, public fury erupted over the krewe's all-white, all-male membership. Some considered it a remnant of the old, racist South.

Ye Mystic Krewe canceled the festivities rather than integrate. The city stepped in and threw its own, all-inclusive parade. In 1992, Ye Mystic Krewe admitted its first black members and launched a bigger, more colorful Gasparilla.

Since then, pirate garb has multiplied. Jim Tarbet, executive officer of Ye Mystic Krewe, said that given all that the krewe does, it's only fair they stand out.

"We've been pretty selfless about bringing it along and nurturing it," Tarbet said. "The community doesn't have to pay to enjoy it."

Taxpayers foot the bill for law enforcement along the parade route and for cleanup. Tarbet said he is talking to the Tampa Bay Convention & Visitors Bureau about funding national promotions for the 2004 event.

Carol Ferguson, president of the Bonney-Read Krewe, was worried when she heard Tarbet make the announcement. Her group has dressed like pirates since it formed in 1994. She went to the podium at the Yacht Club to voice her concerns, she said, and Tarbet agreed her costumes were distinct enough to avoid confusion with those of Ye Mystic Krewe.

She is sympathetic to the krewe's concerns.

"If it wasn't for them, we would not have this parade," Ferguson said. "This is just another way that it doesn't become just another great melting pot, that every krewe is distinct and can be easily identified."

Tarbet said the krewe will not be "heavy handed" about the new requirement, and will judge costumes on a case-by-case basis. Not all krewes have been notified.

"I'll be damned," said Greg Davidson, president of Anna Maria Island Privateers. His krewe has participated in Gasparilla since 1972.

"We have a pirate ship, a 60-foot float. We can't change," he said. "They're actually forcing us out of the parade."

Didier, of Ye Krewe of Sir Henry Morgan, already is thinking up ways to alter his group's new outfits. He said the new requirement didn't surprise him at all.

"It's Gasparilla," Didier said. "It's what I'm used to. I grew up in this town."

-- Kathryn Wexler can be reached at wexler@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3383.

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

I actually heard about that, they dont want any of the other crews that resemble Pirates to get attention. They asked everyone to change their outfits. That is going to be tough to pull off with a crew of Grace OMalley and Henry Morgan. Sound impossible to me.

Gabrielle :lol:

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

What a bunch of B***S**T! Now I've never gone there but that is the biggest bag of crap I've heard since way back when, Southern Faire and Phyllis Patterson tried to run off all the other faires starting up, cuz she wanted to be the only one!

Well I for one say, "Baloney! There's nothing stopping one from dressing up as a pirate and participating! Even if it's only standing and watching! What are they going to do, sue?"

The people that are saying that no one else can do it but them, are going to learn a very hard lesson, when people rebel! Trust me, it will happen.

Notice how many Renaissance Faires there are now in just about every state? You cannot mandate that only one group can do what others can't. Those people may have started the parade, but they cannot tell people what they can and cannot wear! The end result will be, no one will participate at all!

If nothing else, wear yer pirate costumes and carry STRIKE signs! :lol:

Rumba Rue

** B) **

Well what a bunch o' sour pussed pirates! The best thing about piracy is the enthusiasm of others! The more the merrier! My goal is to overrun anyplace we are with as many pirate as possible. That's the whole idea. Every other pirate group I work with (and we work with several) brings something special and different to the table.

Have ye' forgotten mates- we be BRETHREN.

The kids love it, the pirates love it, the adults love it. It's sad when people's egos get in the way of fun and a good time. I think that they are losing sight of the purpose of all of this. The purpose of piracy is not to stroke their own egos, but to please their audience. That's where they got the 500K from in the first place, is it not?!! :)

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

The kids love it, the pirates love it, the adults love it. It's sad when people's egos get in the way of fun and a good time. I think that they are losing sight of the purpose of all of this. The purpose of piracy is not to stroke their own egos, but to please their audience. That's where they got the 500K from in the first place, is it not?!! :)

Well spoken Claire....it is quite sad to see such pitiness that will ruin such a fine event. Unforunately, it does sound like this attitude of theirs as been around for some time (refering to the part in the article abouth "Ye Mystic Krewe canceled the festivities rather than integrate."....and that was in 1991!). Good grief! Considering there are many other krewes, perhaps they will rebel, and have plenty to form another parade or event on thier own. And more power to them. :D

Captain of The Morrighan.

Yes maybe, they cant knock us to the ground and arrest us for being dressed like a pirate!!! LOL

The original Pirate group is made up of rich docs and lawyers, that dress up like pirates one day of the year, and they dont want the other crews to steal the attention, how funny.

They have no beef with us because we are a Titanic theme, but our freinds are having a hard time trying to alter their pirate costumes, I guess we will see Henry Morgan in jeans this year.

Gasp!!!!!!

;)

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

Arrrr alright! Since demands are bein' made... From now on, I intend ter refer to every musical note (brought on by a flagon o' beans and hardtack) I make ter be known as Gasparilla.

*poot* Oop! Pardon me Gasparilla!

:P

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

• 2 weeks later...

So, how do ye tell someone what be dressed as a seaman from one dressed as a pyrate?

Will they be passin an "Anti-Arrrrrrr Ordinance" in Tampa?

Ah, the sweet charm of the inbred.

:lol:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Damnably Ironic! A "Pyrate Festival" just begging to be raided and overrun by...aye, wait for it..."Pyrates!" :lol:

And when one of them "Snooty-Bootses" gripes about it, just look at them with shocked incredulity and offer the one-word explanation.

"Pyrates?!?"

I can picture their meeting now. :lol: "Here's a great idea! Let's create this fabulously fun festival and then set about to make it such an ego stroke that nobody wants to come anymore! And next year, we'll choke the life out of Christmas, too!" :lol:

They need an extra dose of "Lighten the hell up!"

Cap'n Slappy

Arrrr alright! Since demands are bein' made... From now on, I intend ter refer to every musical note (brought on by a flagon o' beans and hardtack) I make ter be known as Gasparilla.

*poot* Oop! Pardon me Gasparilla!

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Well said, Red! As a matter of interest (although, I suspect it may not be) I'm feeling a bit "Gasparillish" meself! Must have been the cabbage chowder! :lol:

Cap'n Slappy