'Ship's hatch' furniture

Back in the old days, sailing ships had hatches which were latticed wood. I remember a few decades and a fortnight ago when I used to work for a yacht manufacturer, seeing some of the skilled carpenters making such things out of teak. This is really tricky. I am embarking on a side business of various furniture. This is the beginning of a prototype one of a teak folding table. it has not been fine sanded yet.

teak2.jpg

teak1.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg

Actually, I made my life more difficult because the hole spacing is 1". Most dado blades such as mine's are maxed out at ¾", so I had to compensate very carefully.

Honestly, I thought 1" spaces were the standard till I measured some examples after the fact. This is is a prototype...basically my first shot.

Take a look at the deck of the HMS Bounty, though I gather the hole spacing is like 2½":

bounty.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg

Nah. 2.5" spacing would be too wide for a table. Unless you put a glass top on it. Then I'd end up shattering it on a drunken binge some night. :lol:

Stick with the original 1".

You could even build the table as a storage cube, where the hatch is propped up to access the items inside. That would be a great thing to have for those of us in smaller houses.

Looks great!

Why not try the 1" spacin' w/ the 3/4" stock? It might look just as well while simplifyin' yer life at the same time.

And wouldn't we all likes our lives ta be simple,,,,

Evil Tiny

I'm not really evil...oh wait...yes I am!

Discipline is on the severe side of harsh, and I likes it that way.

Why not try the 1" spacin' w/ the 3/4" stock?

EvilTiny, it's far more easier to make the holes the same dimension as the strips.

What I did is nothing extroardinary in the marine world, it's pretty standard, except some manufacturers use gang saws to create the slots.

Teak grating

SHIP2-1.jpg