D&D!

blackjohn

Yep, so there I was, casually strolling through the gaming aisle, when the 4th edition D&D books caught my eye. Having no intention of buying said books (I own at least three other prior editions), I assumed I was safe in picking one up and flipping through it. Here we are, three weeks later, and I've dropped at least $100 on new stuff! My group has played once. In between, I've played a bunch of solo encounters to familiarize myself with the rules. And... I think this is my favorite edition!!!

:angry:

Anyone else out there caught the 4e bug?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be old - I haven't bought a book since the first edition was out. (You must drive your wife crazy, John. :angry: )

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

You must be old!

Geezer!

:angry:

(You must drive your wife crazy, John. wink.gif )

Heck no! Actually, when we first met, I was surprised to find rpging (and gaming in general) was one of the things we had in common. In fact, she was the one who prompted me to buy this new edition. It was Father's Day, we were at a game store, and I was flipping through the new PHB, not really planning on buying it, when she walked up and said, "why don't you buy it."

However, she's aghast at the price of miniatures... she didn't want to pay $10 for a one of the very high quality ones.

:o

My Home on the Web

:angry: Does she have a sister?

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Fwiw, rpging is my longest lasting hobby. If I had to choose between it, and reenacting, I'd choose rpging. It costs less. You can do it in the privacy of your own home. There's as much creativity involved, more actually. I can't think of anything reenacting has over it, except for the possibility of being outdoors and traveling to interesting locations.

My Home on the Web

Ah. Well, he's probably not my type. (Unless I have deep urgings about which I have never yet been cognizant.)

Fwiw, rpging is my longest lasting hobby. If I had to choose between it, and reenacting, I'd choose rpging. It costs less. You can do it in the privacy of your own home. There's as much creativity involved, more actually. I can't think of anything reenacting has over it, except for the possibility of being outdoors and traveling to interesting locations.

Actually, it's the stories that interest me. Like Cascabel's story about buying a shark that we were talking about in Twill. Or how Captain Sterling came to be a pirate-hunting captain. Or Michael Bagley's charge against the viking hoards (and bouncing off their wall of spears or whatever it was). Or the Bone Island Buccaneers night out in costume for fun that turned into a fan fest. Or Bilgmunkey's adventures in wrangling with The Man when trying to get a radio show going. Or Mary Diamond bringing a kilt to a gun-fight. Or Patrick Hand...anything about Patrick Hand, come to think of it... Etc. Etc. Etc.

My experiences of rpg-ing mostly involved planning adventures for whiny prima-donna characters, sitting around a large table eating Cheetos, drinking sodas, rolling dice and imaging interesting stories. (Not that that's not fun, too.)

Anyone else out there caught the 4e bug?

Not yet. I haven't played RPGs in about five year but I am eyeing 4th ed and I'm seriously considering it again. The problem I face is I have a favorite CCG that is trying to make a comeback (the manufacturer officially killed the line a year ago and now someone new is making it) and it looks like it'll be a lot more expensive than it used to be. So between piracy, RPGs and CCGs I don't know that I have enough money to spend on all three hobbies. Maybe Santa will bring me the books this year?

My experiences of rpg-ing mostly involved planning adventures for whiny prima-donna characters, sitting around a large table eating Cheetos, drinking sodas, rolling dice and imaging interesting stories. (Not that that's not fun, too.)

Personally I prefer beer and pizza rolls when I'm playing my whiny prima-donna characters. :ph34r:

I'm giving 4ed the cold shoulder for now. I've just put too much into 3.5 to start up with a whole new system. My friend that usually DMs for us has bought WAAAAAY too many 3.5 books and it would be a waste of money for him if we changed up.

Besides, I just taught my 13 year-old cousin to play 3.5 a few months ago. He loves the game, but it will really confuse him if I switch systems on him now.

Don't get me wrong, I know myself well. In a few months I'll pick it up, or someone will suggest we give it a try, and I'll love it. Then I'll be buying the new books... That's why I have some books from each of the editions in my collection.

We couldn't yet drink beer when I used to play. :ph34r: I had this guy who played the perfect character. I couldn't kill that SOB Paladin off - he had an item or potion or some counter for every possible tragedy. I finally figured out a way to amputate his arm and when he re-grew it, discovered it had been cursed resulting in a skeletal arm which dramatically lowered his Charisma. (Do they still have Charisma as a primary character trait?) He got it cured once they left the boundaries of the castle, however.

Actually, it's the stories that interest me. Like Cascabel's story about buying a shark that we were talking about in Twill. Or how Captain Sterling came to be a pirate-hunting captain. Or Michael Bagley's charge against the viking hoards (and bouncing off their wall of spears or whatever it was). Or the Bone Island Buccaneers night out in costume for fun that turned into a fan fest. Or Bilgmunkey's adventures in wrangling with The Man when trying to get a radio show going. Or Mary Diamond bringing a kilt to a gun-fight. Or Patrick Hand...anything about Patrick Hand, come to think of it... Etc. Etc. Etc.

I can see you and I are, to use a term in keeping with this thread, diametrically opposed in this respect. I got into reenacting to have personal experiences. And have I had some doozies!

Wow. That's nothing like my experience rpging. Ok, maybe the cheetos and sodas (or chips, salsa and rum), but other than that, my gaming experiences have always been about sitting around a table with my friends creating stories together, stories which leave us laughing harder than ever.

My Home on the Web

I'm giving 4ed the cold shoulder for now. I've just put too much into 3.5 to start up with a whole new system. My friend that usually DMs for us has bought WAAAAAY too many 3.5 books and it would be a waste of money for him if we changed up.

That's me with 3.5. Having spent a ton of money on 2, I was slightly hesitant on 3. It didn't rock my world (unlike 4!!!), and when they came out with 3.5 a year or two later I said "you can have it."

But I do know how you feel. And I wonder if I'll feel the same way when 5 comes out?

Don't get me wrong, I know myself well.  In a few months I'll pick it up, or someone will suggest we give it a try, and I'll love it.  Then I'll be buying the new books...  That's why I have some books from each of the editions in my collection.

Come to the darkside Rogue. Join us! Join us!

(roll a 20-sided vs your willpower)

:ph34r:

My Home on the Web

We couldn't yet drink beer when I used to play. :ph34r: I had this guy who played the perfect character. I couldn't kill that SOB Paladin off - he had an item or potion or some counter for every possible tragedy. I finally figured out a way to amputate his arm and when he re-grew it, discovered it had been cursed resulting in a skeletal arm which dramatically lowered his Charisma. (Do they still have Charisma as a primary character trait?) He got it cured once they left the boundaries of the castle, however.

The new DMG has a whole chapter devoted to how to deal with a wide variety of troublesome players. And the not troublesome ones too.

Some players can be like kids, so you have to spank them every once in awhile, sometimes take away all their toys, etc.

:ph34r:

Yep, Charisma is still one of the stats. In fact, it probably plays a larger role in this version than in any other. They've done a great job of overhauling the rules, balancing them, and giving every character class something useful to do during the game.

My Home on the Web

I haven't even considered D&D I guess since the big debate was between D&D and AD&D, but just you wait 'til Amazon ships out my copy of "Dark Heresy; the Warhammer 40,000 RPG."

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

And, of course, I'm still waiting for Eden Studios to put out the "Arrgh, Thar be Zombies!" pirate sourcebook for "All Flesh Must be Eaten."

sig2.jpg

I haven't got the bug yet.... But I have been mildly missing gamng in my life for almost the last decade... And I've actually started to meet some local people that are into gaming, so it might just be a possibility for me.

Although I did pick up Talisman a month or so ago, and we have dubbed that cardboard crack. :ph34r: I think the only reason we've been continueing to play Talisman over switching to D&D 4.0 is for want of another person or two to play....

Michael_banner.jpg

I can see you and I are, to use a term in keeping with this thread, diametrically opposed in this respect. I got into reenacting to have personal experiences. And have I had some doozies!

Well, I like having adventures too, but my primary interest is learning things. And it's through stories that you learn things (and find yourself being massively entertained most of the time.) Plus I have this aching need to write and stories are amongst the best things you can write about.

As for your stories...well I've mentioned to you before that there are three people I'd decided I wanted to meet in my first month on this forum. Yet, I've not met a singled damned one of you! I would very much like to hear your stories. I would like to put bits and pieces of them into a Surgeon's Tale. I would like to take you up on that single malt scotch you promised me long ago.

________

"I would like... I would like? I would like a trip to Europe!"

Oh I love the stories. My buddies and I would get so into our every-other-Sunday game that we would continue the story aspect onto e-mail at work on Monday. I've saved all those e-mails and it's just insane how very little work we got done on Monday in the office!

However, there is nothing that will annoy non-players at a party more than a group of gamers telling stories about their adventures and conquests. I have to use a little restraint!

Has anyone seen the movie Darkon? I was pretty surprised to find out the whole thing took place in Baltimore.

• 2 months later...

I've heard of the movie... hell, for that matter, I know some people who were into the whole Darkon thing... for instance...

http://www.darkon.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=84

is...

http://www.piratebrethren.com/lockhouse06/lh0604.html

(hmm... I really should consider trying this Darkon thing out)

But I digress...

And I'm going to be lazy and cut-n-paste this bit from another forum... (and it also gives me a chance to check the functionality of this forum)

I've been having so much fun playing D&D 4e that I decided to try my hand at something I have never done before - making terrain. One of the encounters in the Keep takes place in a room that has undergone partial excavation. I decided to re-create that in three dimensions. As luck would have it, one of my players was out of town for this battle. So I took some pictures of the layout so he'd get an idea of what he missed. Without further ado, the pics:

http://www.piratebrethren.com/dnd/view1.jpg

http://www.piratebrethren.com/dnd/view2.jpg

http://www.piratebrethren.com/dnd/view3.jpg

I made the planks connecting the walkways from wooden coffee stirrers. I was hemming and hawing over how to make them as I was driving in to work one morning. Stopping for some java, I noticed the stirrers and Bingo!

My Home on the Web

John, do you ever go to conventions on the East coast?

William, yes, I have gone to a few. Once upon a time Balticon used to be a really good con. Now, not as good as it used to be. I went to Balticon in '07 to see Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, and the con was just so-so. It didn't seem to have nearly as many people attending as it did back in the 80s.

The next con I'm going to is SheVaCon. One of the folks organizing the con asked if the Pirate Brethren and yours truly would be interested in doing a lecture on pirate shtuff. For some odd reason I said yes. But I'm looking on it as an opportunity to run a game or two... D&D 4th edition pirate scenario possibly. And for me... beyond that... I don't know if piracy is even in my future.

As for gaming cons... I haven't been to one in years. Origins used to come around to my neck of the woods once in awhile, but I don't know if it does anymore. When Avalon Hill was still in business, Baltimore had more pull on the gaming community. Now, not so much.

Interesting tidbit... the place where modern wargaming (ala Avalon Hill) started is not too far from where I live. There's an old road called Gun Road, supposedly name thus because artillery used during the Revolution took that road on their way to crossing the river. The guy who founded the company ran it from his garage in the early days. I really want to find his old house and pay homage... cowtow to it or something silly.

There is one other con that I'd like to attend... TravellerCon! I missed the first one, and chances are I'm going to miss this one too, unless I go up on Sunday. But Traveller was always one of my favorite games. And Lancaster PA isn't tooooo far away. So, we'll see.

My Home on the Web