Lady Barbossa please check in!

Rumba Rue

:::Trudges in:::

Hi, Rumba. :::hugs:::

Thank ye for the concern. I've not been able to pop online for a couple days due to the communication lines so tied up around here. And was helping my sister out.

I'm fine. For now. Eventhough the river is quite literially a little over a hundred yards from me. I'm up on a hill and remain untouched by the river waters. However, I nearly was blocked in on Thursday with flash flooding. Not fun. The flash flooding only made the matter worse.

My sister got lucky as only her basement was flooded. So, today, the waters receeded enough for her to go back in with a generator (no power) and bilgepumps to pump out the yuck water.

Now... to give you a scope of the situation mates... my sister lives nearly a mile and a half from the river! Yes, it flooded that far!

Dalton's classmate's (Tanner) family's home was flooded up to the second floor. We spotted it on Friday morning when the local news station (KCRG) did a boat tour of the neighborhood. We couldn't believe it. Lots of landmarks we saw and never really thought would be underwater ever!

Hailey's friend's family's home is completely underwater we know that for sure as they are 2 blocks from the levy... or what was once the levy.

A friend of mine has a candy and chocolate store downtown next to the historic Paramount. And cringing at both her store and the paramount as the Paramount is just absolutely gorgeous and was recently restored, too. But, my friend's store was submerged... which is generally 8 feet so, that was just absolutely heartbreaking to see. As well as the small store downtown of the BBQ I worked for... that wee store is gone. The Saddle and Leather shop across the river in Czech Village was submerged. I don't think they got everything out of there cause when I drove past the Saddle and Leather shop on Wed evening, there was still stuff inside.

And talked to my Aunt Jolene yesterday (drove out there to see here, check up on her as she's a mile from the Resevour that's severely flooding) and it was hellish getting out to her and just about as bad getting back. So many detours I had to take as Interstate 380 was closed between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City for a week now at least due to the flooding of the Resevour. heard from Aunt Jolene that Marc's (Cousin Julie's husband) Business is underwater. They got what they could out but not enough. Cousin Frankie with his Wife Abby and Moline (adorable little girl they adopted from China) are trapped and cannot leave their location as North Liberty is flooded, can't go north as the Resevour is 2 miles north from them and Iowa City is flooded and closed period! So, they are closed in generally.

Luckily my nieces (Hailey and Sydney) are down in Washington away from all these floods with my mom. This is NOT the place for them right now. A stroke of luck they were already down there before this happened.

So... right now... the river is receeding, but still cringing as there are lots more raining up north thats swelling the rivers again and coming down this way. But won't make it as bad as it is now... just keep the levels where they are for a longer time. Which will inhibit the clean up process.

Many people chose not to leave so we shall see who really survived... unfortunately. Many pets were just absentmindedly left behind even when authorities told people to take their pets with them.

Already, there is one "unofficial" death they are calling as related to the flood. But it's not a drowning. Apparently attributing the death of a 59 yr old woman to some health condition caused by the flood. But they will find out for sure tomorrow from the autopsy results.

I'll have pictures of it soon when I get the chance to get back online. I admit, I'm surprised I got on this evening. My comp is running slow and I know it's cause of the communication lines are generally busy.

Send LOTS of prayers, mates. Not sure what money will do right now. I know FEMA is hauling in water. Hopefully it will be enough. Cause good, clean water is at a critical here and might not have good water at all to use by Tuesday.

MerryD is an hour north of me. And Waterloo has been hit pretty hard, too. And despite her recent surgery and troubles... she's being so kind to bring down more water. I've used 3 gallons of water today for just washing cookware alone. We are forced to use disposible stuff but even the trash bins are filling up outside as no one has been able to pick it up in a few days due to the flood waters. And I've caught a couple Dumpers, too. So... it's not rather pretty.

National Guard has been awesome. I can't stress enough how they have been just incredible. But moreso... the local law enforcement and emergency services. The Police have been relocated to the Ice and Hockey Arena as the Police station is surrounded by water and possibly the first floor of the police station is flooded. The main fire station and the Linn county sheriff station has been under water generally. The sheriff station is just below the interstate 380 roadway.... and the water almost reached the bottom of the interstate...and that's pretty high! Like, at least two stories!!!

I know for sure that there have been some police and firefighters who lost homes in this flood.

Iowa City is getting hit hard now, too. University of Iowa is being threatened by the flood waters. There is no way that the water can be contained at the resevour at all. It's rushing over the spillway. This is only the second time in history that water has rushed over the spillway. It's quite the sight to see. that's for sure.

Yes, folks... if they have been showing pictures on the news or local papers.... it's all true. It's a dire and unimaginable situation. Truly a catastrophe in which all of us are wondering when will the water receed and can we really recover from this? Surely everyone is keeping in good spirits and optomistic in ensuring that Cedar Rapids will recover from this devastating flood. Will most assuredly go down in the record books as THE worst flood. And we thought the floods of '93 were bad. The floods of '93 pale in comparison. We all honestly never thought we'd see a flood like this. The floods of '93 was the 100 yr floods. This is the 500 yr floods. I don't even WANT to see a 1,000 year flood!

Keep us all in your prayers... especially the local law enforcement. We've been lucky to have very little injuries and no fatalities (yet, one has yet to be confirmed as flood related but it's not a drowning).

So... I'm fine Rumba. Just in desperate need of a shower! :D Hate this water restriction. Sis, family and friends are fine. But damages will be a definite when the water totally receeds.

Pictures will come soon of the flooding, too. It's quite the sight, folks.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

REPOST FROM HOW DO YOU FEEL-

I tried to drive down there with as much water as I could carry for LadyB and her family, then found out another storm was headed that way. I didnt want to end up another 'guest' at LadyB's Drop On Inn. I'll try later on this week or maybe Sunday.

I was shopping at Target and started to feel tired. Ended up calling the surgeon cause I felt so tired. I guess I did too much too soon. I'm glad I wasnt on the road, and then having to find a place to stay.

Right now, I can get down there (about 48 miles) in 1 1/2 hours, then another hour to a friends house (who owes me dinner) If I get caught down there when the last road goes under water, its at least a 4 hour trip around the flooded area. We had a freaky bad storm last night here, water driven under the window sashs, lightning, BAD winds. I"m getting tired of battening down the hatches.

http://www.myspace.com/godivalover

I have some pics up on myspace of the flood just around me, or go to MSN for more and look up Cedar Rapids, IA. or use this link for the Iowa DOT pics... very scary! look up the Union Pacific bridge in Waterloo and the Fort Atkinson bridge.

http://iowadot.gov/floods/2008gallery.html

in case you need references, I-80 is the big highway that runs across southern Iowa E-W, and 380 is the highway that runs tween Waterloo and Cedar Rapids.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

I am so glad that you are on a hill Lady B.!

The pictures on the news stations here are awful! Something like 85% of Iowa is flooded.....whoa!

Merrydeath, praises for you for helping Lady B.!

I am keeping both of you and all others in my prayers.

fangel-vi.gif

I'm not tan, its RUST! :)

I'm not sure I'll try to get down there today. It still looks like rain but I'll keep an eye on the weather. Its at least a week before they get to the roads and bridges tween Iowa City and myself.

I shudder to think about all the topsoil and animals being lost to the storms. At one time in 1999, the last big flood thru here, the sea fish were dying because so much of our good dirt was being washed into the LA delta. I'll have to see if I can find a current pic...

thank you, Rumba! I had many compliments on my pin, and it was right over my heart. You are a wonderful person but a bad pirate; you are supposed to TAKE the shineys, not give them away! :)

thank you again, for your genorousity!

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

http://www.redorbit.com/modules/imglib/dow...342497b12f9.jpg

May 4 before all the rain.. I wonder what it looks like now.

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

MerryD got it up there in Waterloo before we got it down here in Cedar Rapids. I knew it was horrible when downtown Waterloo was evacuated, closed and flooded! What was predicted to be the record flood crest of 24.5 by Friday actually crested at 31.12 feet! And flood stage in Cedar Rapids is 14 ft. It's insane!

Yes, but although on a hill, the flash flooding did NOT help at all these past few days. Just made matters worse.

Now the waters are receeding. Despite more high waters coming down. But more and more video of both sides of the river are coming in and I tell ye... seeing businesses and homes that belong to family and friends... it's heartbreaking.

Tempers are short and there are threats of rioting as people want to go back to their homes... now! But the Strike Team needs to go in the inspect each home before people are allowed to their homes just to assess the damage.

The city is practically crippled... but it's still up and moving. Limping bad, but it's still moving. ADM and Rockwell Colins are the only two major companies that are not shut down... but they have been forced to reduce usage of water hence meaning few employees going to work. Some can't get to work due to the only bridge still being threatened to close if the bridge for the trains gives way as there are at least 2 dozen house boats slammed up against the bridge for Quaker Oats. If that gives way, those boats slam into the 5 and 1 dam and that dam is connected to Interstate 380 which is the ONLY route open to connect Cedar Rapids.

Again, it's been a challenging few days. FINALLY got to take a shower today as the water capacity rose to 50 %... but we are expecting that to drop to critical again cause you KNOW people will not conserve like they are being asked to still do.

Keep the prayers coming. That's all anyone can do. Tempers need to mellow and prayers for patience for all is desperately needed. Don't need the situation to get any worse than it is now. A city wide riot is NOT what we need right now.

And as for MerryD... she's mighty lucky, too.

I think the both of us are counting out lucky stars in this latest catastrophe. I never thought I'd see anything worse than the floods of 1993. Oh, boy was I wrong!

~Lady B

:unsure:

Hey LadyB - I was up north in IL last week and was shocked at how bad the flooding was (saw on tv) in your area. As far as sandbagging goes did that help in the towns near you or were the waters alot higher than predicted? I hope you and your friends, loved ones and neighbors are doing alright. :unsure:

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Yes, the flood waters went a lot higher than predicted. By the time the new crest height was released, it was too late for most businesses and homes.

Don't know if anyone could have prepared for this. It came so swiftly and more water than predicted and expected.

The prayers are helping.

I guess, if anyone wants updates or to see about donations or something (there will be a LOT of people in need of stuff and money very soon), check out KCRG Channel 9 online or Corridor Recovery are the best places to go to to get info on what's needed and where to donate.

There will soon be a lot of people in need as many people lost homes. Some haven't a job as the floods have left them unemployed, some... it's both! And I know there are several police and firefighters who have lost their homes in the flood zones, too. The police station is still unable to be occupied and ditto with the main Fire Station... again, ditto with the Linn County Sheriff station that was directly under Interstate 380. And many of them have been running on 12 to 18 hour days on average dealing with people attempting to sneak back into the quarentine areas, threatening and raising tempers with them, even come close a couple times to a riot. Those who have lost it all and give more than anyone else needs our help the most.

FEMA has promised ONLY up to $28k per household. And for many, that won't be enough for many who have lost their homes. And it's a guarantee that there will be many homes and businesses that will be demolished but not many rebuilt cause many won't have the money for it.

Cedar Rapids was struggling before. This flood just makes it worse.

~Lady B

:angry:

Lady B and Mary, I can't even imagine what you two must be going through. You both have all the prayers I can send, for both you and your families. And yes, let's hope people don't lose their heads and riot — which never solved a problem, but only makes the problem worse.

Hang in there, tooth and nail, like the tough pirates you both are!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Lightning got me twice here in late May, killed all my electronics the second time, just my old sick computer the first time. I had surge protection on everything too, including the phones, but the one in the living room where the computer and main phone is was MELTED at the phone connections. Got in throught the ground wire I suppose. I've been un-plugging everything since then! It was expensive even with insurance to replace everything, but at least the house didn't suffer what the tree behind us did. One of the horses had un-accounted for blisters on his back that I think came from tree sap after the lightning struck a tree near the hay ring. They were all pretty freaked out that day, but have gradually become used to the storms. I just got the roof on the new horse barn, but cannot get the walls on due to weather, I dont like hanging barn metal in high winds, and lightning!

Hang in there all you midwest rogues! We'll make it through!

Bo

I think the midwest pissed off Mother Nature something bad..

I was down to see Lady B but she's not sure if her sister will keep her house or not.. I did get some stuff to clean the house, but not if its going to be bull-dozed down.

Capt Bo.. you be DANG careful around that lightning. You don't look good with curly hair or NO hair. :)

the weather was beautiful this weekend here.. hard to believe how pretty it can be.

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videopla..._vertical_links

bank in Parkerburg IA in May. Twas the one that flattened the town.

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Checking in here.

My sister is going to try and stay. It's a rented house and not as half bad as some closer to the river. But she's FINALLY started to get assistance via the Red Cross. So... if anyone is able and willing... PLEASE, donate to the Red Cross and state specifically it's for Cedar Rapids.

Or even for Palo as the whole town was under water. This town is closer to the nuclear power plant than we are.

Please, do help out. I know friends of my sister and my niece and nephew who pretty much lost everything in this flood and it's heartbreaking. We are checking up on them and again, the Red Cross has been helpful in passing out food to the hard hit areas and even now giving some money. Cause it'll take months to see any of that promised FEMA money. Many families need that money now for a place to stay, for some help in getting another vehicle (as most of them were washed down river literially), clothes, etc.

My sister lost some clothes especially winter clothes, some of the kids' toys especially my niece' Cabbage Patch Doll, the washer and dryer, the water heater the furnace. Now, luckily the Landlord will help out with this and replace those things... but she'll be staying with me for a while at least a week or two more. Depending upon how quickly the Inspectors and all will move their butts cause she wants to move back home. The girls have been down in Washington, Iowa for three weeks now. my nephew is down there, too.

I wish I could get pictures of the devastation down here... but NO picture could EVER give hint as to the devastation. It's unbelieveable. I'm in awe everywhere I go and practically in tears as to how bad it got.

Shayla's family's house... it's standing... just barely. They lost everything... and are trying to salvage what they can but it's not much. Many of the homes will be bulldozed cause they are that bad. And that goes with some businesses and other buildings, too.

Flood soaked trash line the streets and yards that you can't see much of anything else but that flood soaked mangled junk that use to be priceless possessions, furniture, toys and even antique heirlooms. Some homes the closer you go to the river have spray painted on them a big red X and "NO ENTRY" on the door. It's rather sad.

The stench here is incredible when you get close to that area especially. I can't go cause I start to react now. You aren't suppose to go into those areas now without a mask if that gives hint.

We are not hearing from people who are from out of state coming in to help us who have worked on the devastated areas by Katrina... they are comparing us to Katrina now.. and saying we are worse! Oh, that's bad!

The police here are getting help from other Iowa police like Lisbon and Central City but also from Nebraska and Minnesota (St Paul for sure as they have sent a good number of police officers down) plus state troopers and even firefighters as our own local police, firefighters and sheriff have to deal with cleaning up their stations since they were hit bad by the floods.

Again, I would write parctically a novel's worth of pages on all that's been hit. Again, not just residential, but lots of businesses, churchs and a historical mosque, charities, museums, a library, antique stores and historical areas, Ushers Ferry, parks, a hospital, schools, city buildings and offices, emergency and law enforcement, banks, etc.... so much devastation... so much area of land that was amazingly covered.

As the statement I've seen spray painted on several doors:

GOD HELP US!

~Lady B

they have tee shirts you can buy..

we will rise above

for $10 each and all goes to the CR/IC fund.

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

;)

Yeah, I saw those shirts. Sorry, I don't want any more reminders of that than what I already have - pictures.

I kept awaiting and expecting the Flying Dutchman to appear to collect out pathetic souls. I think Jones figured it was wise NOT to come to Cedar Rapids.

Clean up is rather slow.

Sis is back at her house now. She comes over to take showers though since no gas at her house, so no hot showers. And gotta be careful with that water eventhough the officials say it's safe even to drink... yeah, right! It's not.

Now, my dad sent me something hilarious... since folks are actually comparing us to Katrina now... and I'm not joking about this. These are people who actually did clean up following Katrina. Joyful that we are worse than some areas hit by Katrina. Ehhh... ;)

Legitimate questions?.......................Iowa Flooding

Why aren't Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in

restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

Why aren't the media asking tough questions about why the federal

government hasn't solved the problem?

Or asking where are the FEMA trucks (and trailers)?

Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in Chicago?

Why isn't it giving them $200 vouchers that they can spend on alcohol and vice?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that

failed in Des Moines?

Where are Sean Penn and the Dixie Chicks?

Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?

When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a

"vanilla" Iowa, because that's the way God wants it?

Where is the hysterical 24/7 media coverage complete with reports of cannibalism?

Where are the people declaring that George Bush hates white, rural people?

How come in 2 weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?

~Lady B

;)

LOL!

On our news channels here, everyone of them kept saying, "All of Cedar Rapids is under water, all of Iowa is under water."

I have to admit I've had kind of funny odd thoughts of like carp swimming around in someone's basement, or like on the news, frogs everywhere - can't you just see opening up a soggy cabinet and a bunch of frogs leap out?

I've seen pictures of creeks/rivers that have gone over pavement and catfish flopping around.

Sadly, any house that's been flooded will probably have to be torn down - unless it's cement. Mold will flourish and cause more problems.

Ya, where are those FEMA trailers (can't find a dry patch of land?)? Money vouchers for the displaced people? Our current leader of this land is as dumb as they come, someone ought to make him live in a FEMA trailer.... :lol:

actually, believe it or not... there were fish swimming around in some of the downtown businesses. And apparently a couple houses had some fish in them. And other unwanted items and very disgusing stuff.

Sure felt like we were all going under water. Pulling an Atlantis bit here! We were all wondering when the water would stop rising.. then it did stop and started to receed.

And aye, ye are right about the houses and buildings. Sadly enough, half of the buildings were homes, the other half were business and city buildings!

Hell, I wouldn't say Bush is dropping the ball exactly. FEMA is really dropping the ball moreso. This Homeland Security BS doesn't help, either. Again, the Red Cross has been more helpful than local, state and Federal government. Goes to show you the Government is no longer working for us.

Revolution time!!!

~Lady B

Why aren't Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

Why aren't the media asking tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved the problem?

Or asking where are the FEMA trucks (and trailers)?

Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in Chicago?

Why isn't it giving them $200 vouchers that they can spend on alcohol and vice?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines?

Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?

When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a "vanilla" Iowa, because that's the way God wants it?

Where is the hysterical 24/7 media coverage complete with reports of cannibalism?

Where are the people declaring that George Bush hates white, rural people?

Apparently this bit was recently written by Steve Kimball of Pyrates Way. He's received a good deal of flak over it as it rather insulting to New Orleans and quite a few have let him know they aren't happy with him.

Here is the entire message that he printed:

As you watch the flooding in the Midwest? Have you noticed that there are no farmers

running around with stolen plasma TVs or holding stolen liquor over their heads.

There's no looting or yelling 'Where's Bush?', 'Where's FEMA?, Where's my check?', or 'Why

isn't the Gov't out here saving me and my farm?'

Likewise, I've also noticed there are no reports of any other country coming to help or

sending aid.

And this

Where are all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring

Iowaand helping the folks affected by the floods?

Where is all the media asking the tough questions about why the federal government

hasn't solved the problem? Asking where the FEMA trucks (and trailers) are?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des

Moines?

When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a 'vanilla' Iowa,

because that's the way God wants it?

Where are all of the gangs taking law into their own hands?

Where are the people (read liberals, progressives and other way out left wingers) declaring

that George Bush hates white, rural people?

Where are the debit cards for Iowans?

Because these people are responsible and will take care of themselves . . . like others need

to learn to do. These are the Americans who understand that help begins at home. God

bless them and let's help them.

They are true Americans!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am not going to say anything about what I think about this situation, I think there are plenty of others who have already stated their views to him.

thanks for the credit of who wrote the article..

I thought it was pretty accurate about the situation in Iowa.

Don't forget we lost a whole town to an EF5 tornado just a few weeks before the floods, too.

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tis unfortunate about the whole mess. But at the moment, it does honestly reflect the issue here and he did make a very valid point. I have been told many, many times how the flooding here is FAR worse than what happened in New Orleans with Katrina. That's bad.

The politicians are busting their butts to get what funding they can to help residents, businesses and other places affected (churchs, museums, hospital, government offices, etc)

There has been plenty of looting here, but you will never hear of it. Why? No one cares.

The levees and the dikes... well, that was the stupidity of the government. They DID put on a tax since 1993 to help rebuild the levees as they were very structurally weakened since 1993. The levees DID break in two places in the Timecheck area of Cedar Rapids. So, people ARE wondering what happened to that tax money and why were the levees NOT dealt with before hand? They knew this was coming but did nothing about it.

True... now you don't hear about he flooding in Iowa unless you live around here which you hear about it all the time! It's a constant.

As to debit cards.... Red Cross handed those out. But folks are not given enough. At least Red Cross handed them out faster than what FEMA was doing!

Perhaps he said something wrong that offended those of NO. But at the moment, I'm sure they will fell offended to hear that Cedar Rapids was hit WORSE than New Orleans!

I can't condone other courses of actions he may do. And I'm not defending the guy. I'm more apt to defend the reality of the truth that is happening here.

All in all, some disaster will soon show up and leave CR in the dust ... or mud and muck.

Welp, mates...

Update from me.

I've file Unemployment so as not to get evicted (or try not to) and let folks know I was still looking for a job. And at the same time (after much urging from a few others) that something wasn't right upon my release from work.

Aye, they were right. I was wrongfully released from work all because I couldn't make it to work. I know a few others who were unable to make it to work for at least a week cause the roads were closed and the only route was for emergency only as well as SOOOO congested traffic it was incredible.

So, now... I'm checking with a Lawyer and working on getting some help so I don't lose my apartment. The Property Management is not being merciful at all. They said they were merciful but I don't see it as merciful at all. They claim their "clients" need money now. HA! Don't we all! The more places tell me stupid stuff like this, the more and more I'm sure the Lawyers are going to have a field day!

I have an interview tomorrow. Hoping that it works out cause I need something bad!

Finally have my comp working better now. And starting to update my website so I can get my business back up and running. June hurt me bad in making money via The Captain's Share. So, hoping to belt out a few pieces to sell on eBay and get something to put food on my table, gas in my vehicle, and other necessities that seem a luxury around here.

Since my comp is back up and running well now... I'm back to getting the photos of the before, during and after flood pictures ready and will be putting them in a photo album online somewhere.

It's heart-wrenching. The stench is not as bad as it was two weeks ago, but the damage and trash is EVERYWHERE! I had to pass by a couple other areas yesterday. Downtown just a complete disaster and finally drove into Czech Village area and I cried. The Saddle and Leather Shop where I bought a lot of my horsey stuff for school was completely destroyed and gutted. The historical Czech Village area is just so damaged it's being torn down. Hopefully it will be rebuilt.

The City Hall is on May's Island in the middle of the river as well as the court house and the jail. Those are surrounded by many trucks and equipment trying to clean the place out.

Downtown is busy but not with business as usual, it's all clean up of dumpsters and trucks and trash everywhere! Businesses and theaters gutted out looking worse than a ghost town.

House boats are STILL being removed from Ellis and the docks area where those that didn't break away and go down river were piled upon one another causing incredible damage.

The train bridge that collapsed during the flood is now totally visable since the waters receeded and it's an incredible site! So mangled and twisted and filled with debris.

The Landfill that's affectionately called Mount Trashmore has been reopened again to handle the massive amounts of trash for the disaster.

It's completely unbelieveable folks. Over and over again I keep hearing how we are worse than Katrina. I guess that says something on the magnitude when you don't realize yourself how bad it is.

If you can.... donate to the Red Cross. I know people still trying to get help, still needing help.

There is a massive call for volunteers, too. Some clean up crews will be wrapping up in two weeks but still, there is such a need for help it's incredible.

Will keep folks updated and will post pictures hopefully soon now that my comp is back up and running well. :)

~Lady B

B)

We get flooding in towns around here all the time but never any publicity. Not too long ago, the downtown area of St. Helena was completely under water (and I mean COMPLETELY.) But other than local coverage, that was it. And other towns here experience the same thing, but unless you're local, you don't hear about it - just expected, I guess. So you're not alone in lack of publicity and assistance.

RHJMap.jpg

OK all!...

Here is a Youtube link that a friend of mine sent me. It shows a great amount of damage of the aftermath of the flooding.

BE SURE YOU HAVE KLENEEXES HANDY!!!!

[url)

[/url]

Don't forget to take a look at the Related Videos as there are more and more posted of areas devastated by the flooding.

So many still need help and half the jobs in Cedar Rapids were cut in HALF because of the flooding. So please, please, please help out anyway you can!

MerryD, report from Waterloo if you are able to, hun.

Waterloo was hit just as bad as well as Vinton, Palo, Columbus Junction and many other smaller towns around Eastern Iowa.

~Lady B

Yes... it is stupid.

I know Tom Harkin is busting his arse to help obtain funding. And it's mighty necessary.

The city officials... I haven't a clue about. Ye hear lots about buyouts. But at the moment, what are those buyouts gonna do? Cause they aren't putting food on the table right now nor offering shelter right now. Nor helping with getting supplies for clean up or clothes or for some people who lost cars and whatever else... it's not helping to replace those right now.

I honestly wanted to hit someone on YouTube who barked about we were exaggerating on the price of Flood Insurance in Cedar Rapids. Said it was only $40 a month! Hell, we all wish! it seriously is $300 or more a month but ONLY in the 100 yr flood zone which is a very small portion of the area along the river and not even offered to folks in the 500 yr flood zone. So, a LOT of people were just crapped on and lost it all, etc.

Again, not enough help through FEMA if anyone is able to get help. SBA is a little slow but moving faster than FEMA but only with some businesses. Red Cross can only offer so much to those ONLY with homes in the flood zone.

But ye are right, Rumba. New Orleans is a huge tourist area especially for Mardi Gras.

Iowa, especially Cedar Rapids really hasn't a thing to offer. Iowa City has the University of Iowa. And that's honestly about it that's a world attraction of sorts.

I do know that farmland was hurt in the flooding. Especially land where corn was growing. And I stress WAS! A friend of my parents who lived out by Palo owns a farm and his farmland was just destroyed. No crops there at all now.

So, expect higher prices on any corn products. Just like they said last night on the world news on ABC. Ripple effect has already begun. And just think... Quaker Oats was badly affected by this, too!

Everyone here is barely clinging onto a thin thread of sanity.

~Lady B

:unsure: