Carded for a Movie!!!

So I went in to Wally World the other day seeking something to watch and found the movie Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett and Geoffrey Rush. Had not seen it before, it looked intresting and it was five dollars. So I take it up to the counter to check out and the Lady cards me. The movie is rated R. I told her I was old enough to buy the movie that I was 34 and she glared at me and said she HAD to see my ID, otherwise I was not taking it home. So I showed her my ID to which she studies it and glances up at me and finally hands it back and rings it up. But she still acted like I had given her a false ID. Im not sure if I should have been flattered or insulted :o .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

There doesn't seem to be much rhyme nor reason to how these rules are applied. The WalMart near my home cards anyone under 27 for buying wine, yet the one near where I work wants to see ID for anyone under 40.

40?!

Then again, I'm old enough to remember when the drinking age was 18, so they don't want to see MY ID...

Still, I have never heard of carding anyone for a video.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

When I was in my late 30's, I went to see a friend's band perform at a tavern. When I ordered a beer, I was carded.

To really appreciate this you should know that I was ordering alcohol with meals since I was 15 and buying beer for 20-year-olds at 16. Although since my early 30's the aging process has slowed down considerably, there was no way anyone could possibly mistake me for a person under 21. So when this guy carded me I started laughing like mad. He looked at me quizzically and I handed him my ID. He got the joke and handed me a beer.

RHJMap.jpg

Last winter I was at a Fred Myer grocery store buying a few items, which included beer for Chain Shot and wine for me. The checker — a guy maybe in his mid 30s — asked for my ID. Conversation went as follows:

Me: Laughed and kept writing my check.

Checker: "I really need to see your ID."

Me: "You're kidding, right?" Kept writing my check.

Lady in line behind me, to checker: "I don't think she's going to show it to you."

Me to lady: "Come on, he's joking."

Checker, dead serious: "If you don't show me your ID I'm going to call security."

Me, with stupid look on my face: "Okay, but you're going to be really embarrased." Hand my ID over.

Checker inspects ID, hands it back.

Me to checker: "Don't feel too bad, you only missed it by 30 years." I leave store still laughing.

Checker never cracked a smile during this whole episode. Okay, he was wearing glasses, so maybe he needed a new prescription, but sheesh. :o

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Older folks should take getting carded as a compliment, not an insult. :o

I like the dumbfounded look of the doorpersons when they see 1966 on my drivers license. I still remember watching tv, and seeing a live broadcast of Neil Armstrong stepping on the moon for the first time.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Older folks should take getting carded as a compliment, not an insult. :o

:o Older folks! Gosh, I find being refered to as Older Folks more insulting than being carded! :o

Makes me sound like I'm ready for the retirement home — NOT!!!!! :o

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I get carded all the time.

That AARP card has payed for itself 10 fold.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Older folks should take getting carded as a compliment, not an insult. 

Us "grown-up kids"?

us post-adolescent brethren/sistren?

post-juvies?

:lol::rolleyes:

I like "Post adolescent sistren. Although sistren does sort of make one think of cistern, which may not be a good thing. :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One liquor store near us cards every customer, regardless of age. Their cash registers will not work unless they enter a birthdate first. For awhile they were just entering fake dates for anyone who was obviously over 21, but awhile later they were back to carding everyone. I suppose some 23 year old manager decided that rules, even ridiculous ones, are made to be followed. Once I saw a clerk demand ID from a customer, who was obviously at least 70. When he realized the clerk was serious, he just left his bottle of scotch on the counter and walked out. Can't blame him. If you want to drive away all your older customers, this can't fail.

This is one thing (among many of course) that I'll never understand. Why is this worth getting upset about? You're attempting to do something you know there are prerequisites for, you're just being asked to prove you've met them. Not by any onerous test or giant application, but by taking a little plastic card out of your wallet, presumably just the wallet you've already got out to give the cashier some money. It isn't a personal offense, they aren't asking you to stand on your head or run a mile. It's thirty seconds.

Of course if you want to argue if there should be this prerequisite for at all that's another thing altogether.

My favorite carding happened 16 years ago. I was in england at the time, drinking there was 19. I was entering a pub and the bouncer asked me for ID. I had JUST turned 30 ...huge number at the time and this guy cards me. I would hav kissed him ...if he possessed a complete set of teeth and didn't smell of smoke.

B):lol:

Now days when I am carded for something I just figure it is store policy I hope it isn't because they want to see if I am eligable for the senior discount. Speaking of which I have a friend who has had silver hair since he was in his early thirties, he has been given the senior discount since then ...he doesn't look any older than his age but the silver hair gets it for him all the time.

There doesn't seem to be much rhyme nor reason to how these rules are applied. The WalMart near my home cards anyone under 27 for buying wine, yet the one near where I work wants to see ID for anyone under 40.

:huh:

Now I be REALLY confused, for if they must card "anyone under 27" 'er "anyone under 40" then just what this secret purpose be I wonder, like they ALREADY know ye be 'under' the age so what difference does yer Exact age be???

All I know is that th' other week at th' Big Bear festival I thought th' girl at th' beer tent was pull'n me leg when she ask'd t' see me ID....I ha'e NEVER been card'd in all me life, not once, ne'er, no where, for noth'n!

I think next time I should take me two daughters 'n when someone asks me for me ID then I will ha'e me youngest set her baby down 'n show them her's, that'd show them straight it would!

:rolleyes:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

NOW THE LAST TIME I GOT CARDED WAS AT A BAR IN THE UNIVERSITY TOWN WHERE I LIVE ....THE YOUNG LASS ASKING FOR CARDS ASKED FOR MY ID ...I TOLD HER THE LAST TIME I GOT CARDED WAS DURING THE LYNDON JOHNSON YEARS .....HER RESPONSE WAS "SHE DOESN'T WORK HERE ANYMORE! I'LL HAVE TO SEE YOUR ID!!" ...........THOUGHT I'D ALMOST DIE LAUGHING :huh::huh::huh::huh: SHOWED MY UK DRIVERS LICENSE THAT CONFUSED THE HELL OUT OF HER :huh::huh::rolleyes: