and now for all you barbarossa fans

Dutchman

me too. i had to do a doubletake of the name when i saw it then doublechecked before i posted it.

i'm not even sure which way this one hangs. it looks like it hangs as posted. if you tip it over so the white edge is leading to the right the star of david is off. if you have the white strip to the left the hand is upside down. an interesting obsrvation is the right hand. in some cultures it is obscene to offer or use the left. what in the world is the divider looking object in the middle?

It is all symbolism left by the the gods that left us here. The same ones that built the pyramids and such. Call Dr. Daniel Jackson! (SG1 ...yes my scifi geekieness is showing ...and yes I know this is Captain Twill.)

Now back to reality ...it is fascinating. Does ANYONE have an educated guess?

I'll take a stab at this...

And my guess is it be

Free Masons....from the tyme period of the Crusades where soldiers were sent from Western Europe to fight / convert Moslims on the mission to claim the Holy Lands In the name of Christianity.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• 3 weeks later...

From the Turkish Naval Museum webpage:

Used by Barbaros Hayrettin when he was Commander-in-Chief (1534-1546) of the Ottoman Navy, the naturally patterned green fabric of the silk flag is embellished and appliquéd in white silk. The decorations consists of the "Fetih" Chapter from the Koran, the names of the four Caliphs of Islam, the Christian symbol of the Trinity, the divine hand of God, and the Jewish Star of David. Dimensions : 287x200 cm

There are also many other great things to explore on that website, including clothing, a 17th Century galley, weapons, and more. I had quite an interesting time going through it.

And now for some teasers...

Dscn1617.jpg

Terracotta and glass hand grenades

Dscn1669.jpg

Pasha Çıplağı" Outfit, 18th-19th Centuries

Dm44.jpg

17th Century smoothbore naval gun

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

In looking further, I found the following similar flag and description.

1144a.jpg

Also of interest is the large flag flown by the Turkish Admiral Barbaros Hayrettin Pasha, with various symbols reflecting his tolerance towards diverse races and religions on the sea. The flag carries the "Fetih" Chapter from the Koran, below it inside crescents are the names of the four Caliphs, at the middle the Christian symbol of the Trinity, at its left the divine hand of God, and at the lower center the Jewish Star of David. This symbolism is a reflection of the Ottoman admiral's acceptance of sheltering the three prime religions of the 16th-century Mediterranean.

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... most curious artifact.

The one symbol is used by Masons, The Christian Trinity symbol.. oh, now that is interesting. But the Jewish Star of David baffles the hell out of me since the Barbarossa brothers were Muslim supporters!

How odd indeed!

Love the description and makes it all the more curious about that time and era and what was going on. A bit of an oddity since some of what's been said the Barbarossa's loathed the Christians and Jews! How odd they fly that particular colours.

:::shrugs:::

Intreguing... most intreguing.

~Lady B

<_<

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 1 month later...

I assume that the masonic symbol you're referring to is the large device in the middle of the flag? It's not the same thing. The Masons use a similar device showing dividers or compasses, but the symbol on the flag is a Muslim one, known as the Sword of Dhu'l-Fakar. The sword was apparently owned by Mohammed himself and was blessed with magical properties.

The presence of the six pointed star should not be surprising. In Judaism it is the "Star of David", but it has been used as a symbol by countless cultures other than the Jews over the centuries. In Islam it is often associated with David, but David is not a purely Jewish character and is revered as a prophet in Islam.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk