Where be a good pirate dagger/knife?

mcdrago

Aye roytheodd, I ha'e the same blade from them as well...er' actually it be a different one, I did not take yers, mine is mine! 'n it come with a fine all leather sheath as well.

But McDrago be correct, find'n a proper pirate dagger be a real pain in arse indeed!! So many out there for Renaissance, Dark Ages, Civil War....but from late 1500's to early 1700's they all just seem to disappear....I am beginning to think th' stories o' pirates carrying daggers is all just myth they be, all just myth!

Howe'er, then ye can go with the writen's that pirates did not really carry daggers as the ship would be too crowded 'n there would run too much risk o' damage'n a sail if carrying around a large 'n sharp blade. Some say that all 'sharpies' where kept under lock 'n key then not handed out till a battle began.

Somehow I do not subscribe t' pirates be'n such well behaved and controll'd crews as royal navy ships, seems more t' me that once turned pirates most tossed such "regimented" ways of life aside, became more 'ruffians' and 'beatniks' and 'packs-o-sea-dogs'. Aside from perhaps a recent crew who was pressed into piracy, I doubt many pirates gave up their personal blade collection without a bloody fight...but then there was most likely many, many, Many different variety o' pirate crews, aside from just the few that made it into history books.

But ye be correct McDrago, I too have scoured the Seven Internets and found the pickens very, Very slim indeed aside from fantasy and Hollywood types, aside from 'stainless steel'....'n who be want'n a blade if ye can't get some manly blood stains upon it????

Oh, and roytheodd, don't hold yer breath on that other one lad, I spotted that one a LONG time ago, they advertise it but NEVER have it in stock...?

Looking closer, I do believe it may be one o' those ones out'a India, photo looks nice but quality no where near what ye got in the one from Layalist :lol:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I considered finding a blade maker to forge me a blade similar to what Angus McBride illustrated:

GaoPpirateknives.jpg

I would love to have a bayonet with that curve of the blade on the left. I've looked for stilettos like the one above, but stilettos are either too medieval or too off-hand-dagger to fit the bill. If you could settle for a knife instead you'd have a much easier search.

I have a forge... I also have to tools required to "stock remove" knives out of existing flat steel. I can do a number of different designs, the limit is mainly your imagination. I don't have a metal or wood lathe, so I'm not sure about plug bayonets, but I can do pretty much any regular knife/dagger design, hand made, for a fair price.

mcdrago, get me a picture or rough sketch of what you're wanting, and I'll see what it would cost me to make.

roytheodd, I can do that blade design, just not in a plug bayonet. If you want it in dagger form, I'd be more than happy to come to an accord with ye.

Here's a couple recent examples of my work:

Haddock5.jpg

Haddock7.jpg

MiniSgianDubh.jpg

SgianDubh2.jpg

Stargazer.jpg

Astas_Order.jpg

Different styles, different materials, but as I said... given a picture or a rough sketch, and I can likely make it. Not exact copies of existing blades, since these are hand-crafted by me, but the sky's pretty much the limit as long as the parts don't require a lathe.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

Some o' th' prettiest "daggers" I ha'e seen be ones made from the tip o' broken swords 'n cutlass, t'would also occur t' me that this would be fully 'period' see'n as true warrior o' th' times would not want t' waist such a valuable resource. Just ha'e not seen anyone going this route...?

Also another angle I ha'e fancied be blades made from walrus 'n whale baleen.

Here be some fine ones, some may e'en notice other items there appear t' look somewhat familiar t' other items I meself wear :unsure:

Whale Baleen knives - "Tellmewhereonearth" (scroll way down)

Various 'sea life' blades - "Tellmewhereonearth"

Cave Bear Fossil blades - "Tellmewhereonearth"

- 'n while ye there, how 'bout some genuine Poop Jewelry?

Fossil Poop - really!

- 'er a bit more 'period':

Maori Fish Hook (the real deal, not novelty types)

**also check out their 'Shark' section 'n their 'Alligator' section...I did :lol:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!