Now Playing

Sir Eric

I went to see Watchmen yesterday.

What an unrelentingly dreary, depressing movie. The central dilemma boiled down to a disagreement over whether humans were animalistic and Id-based at their core and that's just the way it is (the Comedian's view) or human are animalistic and Id-based at the core and only an almost ultimate, near universal, shocking display of violence will change their views (the...er, villain's view. At least I guess he's the villain. Actually, he's of that stripe of intellectual that thinks an all-powerful, self-righteous psychotic is the only one with a view clear enough to show us the error of our ways. Curiously, this particular view had been proven wrong repeatedly throughout history, most notably at Hiroshima (as well as in many of the James Bond movies), but the movie ignores that completely.) Every other viewpoint is fairly well nullified by these two character's views and actions. (Although not necessarily directly - for reasons I'll leave for you to find out if you decide to watch this.) The characters' back-stories, while fairly well fleshed out (especially given how many of them there were), were just as joyless as the main storyline. I was hoping when the vigilante ass-kicking started things would improve, but, for the most part, they didn't. That part of the movie (mostly in the last half or possibly even the last third) was painted in just as depressing a pallet as the rest of the movie.

I personally don't recommend it at all. If I hadn't been there with someone who wanted to see it, I would have left about an hour of misguided misery and angst and found another movie in the theater to watch instead. If you want the worst elements of reality in your superhero movie menu, this is the flick for you. Everyone else should probably give it a wide berth.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mission, did you ever read the Watchmen graphic novels of the late 80s?

This would have given you some insight into the dark pondering questions the movie had to offer.

The graphic novel goes further into detail about the dark side of human nature and if there is truly a sole purpose of our existance.

It has taken Hollywood almost 20 years to make this movie...something that shouldn't have been done. I'm with you. Scale from 1 to 10 - 10 being the best....1.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I did not read the graphic novel. In fact, I had never heard of it before the hype started for this movie.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 months later...

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Up might be worth the price of a theater ticket.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Just saw the movie "Battle at the Smithsonian"

It was a lot of fun.

Yes, you can nitpick it to death, so leave your nitpicking at the door and have fun with the movie.

I loved the way Amy Adams spoke as Amelia Earhart it really captured the feel of chatter in a 1930's movie. The other actors were also wonderful, like Hank Azaria speaking like Boris Karloff (giving tribute to him as the orginal Mummy) and Bill Hader as General Custer (Arriving in the nick of time to save the day, but not thinking before attacking) Just a plain old sit back enjoy the comedy film.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I loved the way Amy Adams spoke as Amelia Earhart it really captured the feel of chatter in a 1930's movie.

I enjoy the rapid-fire speech of films from that era (the great screwball comedies), although I read something on Netflix about another movie which contained dialogue like that (I think it was Mrs. Pettigrew Lives for a Day) and wondered if it was true. The reviewer said everyone in the 30s and 40s was on speed and it made them talk quickly like that. The accusation seemed a little bit sweeping to me. However, that actually was a point in the book on which Mrs. Pettigrew was based. Anyone know if that's true?

Mission_banner5.JPG

I loved the way Amy Adams spoke as Amelia Earhart it really captured the feel of chatter in a 1930's movie.

I enjoy the rapid-fire speech of films from that era (the great screwball comedies), although I read something on Netflix about another movie which contained dialogue like that (I think it was Mrs. Pettigrew Lives for a Day) and wondered if it was true. The reviewer said everyone in the 30s and 40s was on speed and it made them talk quickly like that. The accusation seemed a little bit sweeping to me. However, that actually was a point in the book on which Mrs. Pettigrew was based. Anyone know if that's true?

Hm... Not sure, but I saw Mrs. Pettigrew and thought it was super cute...

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Hm... Not sure, but I saw Mrs. Pettigrew and thought it was super cute...

I thought it was ok fluff. The only part that was poignant enough that I remember it at this point was the mournfully matter of fact way she said line,

"They don't remember the last one."

And the other character who was about her age in her whippy charge's circle of friends replied,

"No, they don't."

(The movie was set on in England on the eve of WWII.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Up was everything you could hope it would be. A fine movie, up to Pixar's usual excellent standards. I wish some of the great writers working for Pixar would influence the typical Hollywood writers and studios.

In addition to everything else I liked (the touching scenes, the funny pokes, the excellent CG rendering, the talking dog (Squirrel!) and the little lessons and morals) I really liked the way they used the house with the balloons. They never forgot it or what they could do with it as a plot point. Excellent. Five stars.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Still have yet to see "Star Trek" & "Night at the Museum 2". Not sure when I will see those. :lol: Not having much luck getting to the theater.

Crossing my fingers... I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to see "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen". Hehehe I KNEW Megatron would return. ;) That was a given. From the Trailers, this movie looks beyond wickedly awesome!

Not sure about GI Joe. We shall see, I suppose. It looks too "off the rocker".

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Saw this movie last weekend with some friends. I truly enjoyed it!

Dug the Dog Rocks!

He's got to be my fav character. How can you not love this lab? Hit it right on the head with this character.

3593157882_0519bb388d.jpg

Edited by Cheeky Actress

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

The new Star Trek was enjoyable, but it really hosed the time line. It will be interesting to see how the Star Trek Experience works this into their time line display.

Night in the Museum, Battle of the Smithsonian was a lot of fun. I understand they have a pamphlet at the Smithsonian describing how the movie was made which lets you visit all the exhibits that were used.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

I saw Star Trek and as being a trekie since the old days growing up watching "TOS" I had some issues with the Spock and Uhura love interest. They could have found a better Kirk for sure, and how did he gain command in that one scene so miracously. And the romulans did not have that head thingy thing like the Klingons..huh. Oh well, it was a good romp. I like Scotty and Chekov as their younger forms.

Next to see is the "Battle at the Museum"...saw the first one recently and it was also a fun romp. We are also going to see "Land of the Lost"....just because it looks so silly. The show was horrible as a kid, watching it...but it was the last kids show on Saturday before it went to adult media.

I also would like to see "Up"...it just looks so funny and cute...and yes the dog is intriguing..."Squirrel"..so funny dogs, do break their line of thought when they see them.

Hey did you see the commercial for the new tv series "Merlin"?

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

• 1 month later...

The title says it all. (thought we had some topic about this already. Can't find it)

So... what films have you seen so far and what do you want to see that's coming out soon?

Whimpering big time right now. I want to see Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen... but haven't gotten out to see it yet. :P Grrr...

Missed seeing Star Trek, Night at the Museum 2... Doubt I will see Ice Age 3. But I swear I will NOT miss seeing Transformers 2 in the theater, damnit! Grew up on Transformers.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Wife and Eye went to go see Transformers..

The Movie struck me as though the Government had

Funded it for its propaganda machine as an extended Recruitment

film for the military.... The Best moment was the girl friend

on the motorcycle...She looked hot in that shot! But that was pretty much it.

I recommend Star Trek over anything out there.. That movie kicked ass all the way through.

As for what is coming out... The Mad Hatter. Dark Shadows. and in 2012 Azeroth Prime.. Eye am acting in that one tenitivley.

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I recommend Star Trek over anything out there.. That movie kicked ass all the way through.

Agreed!

I have seen Night at the Museum 2. We actually took the kids to see it at the Smithsonian. Hit the museums first. That was a blast... so it probably improved my opinion of the film. It was pretty good. Two thumbs up for Hank Azaria and the lady who played Emilia Earhart.

Up was a massive downer. The first 30 minutes was probably the most depressing 30 minutes of any kids' film I have ever seen.

The only other film I have plans to see is Moon. This looks fantastic. Like 2001 meets Silent Running.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Up was a massive downer. The first 30 minutes was probably the most depressing 30 minutes of any kids' film I have ever seen.

I’d disagree. “Up” is a children’s movie that doesn’t talk down to the audience. It does have sadness, but it’s a critical part of the story. Just like “Old Yeller” had one of the saddest endings ever for a kid’s movie. This time around the sadness is upfront. The movie has conflict, surprises, tragedy, hopes, and dreams. It was a fun movie and I got a kick out of it. It’s a movie that carries a message to young people that your life is your destiny, if you want to have your dreams come true, that’s your responsibility to do.

Now, if you want a real life tear jerker, you can read this story about a dying girl's last wish and the movie "Up".

Dying Girl Get's Last Wish

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Star Trek was good, it was a "reboot" of Star Trek that actually FIT the continuity and logic of the series, giving a reason to restart and a reason for differences (Vulcans now rare, wiping out much of a generation of Star Fleet personnel, inc. those that later may have become characters we know) and a different flow of events.

I REALLY liked Up, as it fits a certain period genre (1930s adventure films and Sci Fi), with a modern context and twist. It was poignant and my kids LOVED it. The whole "squirrel" thing is now a running joke.

-SQUIRREL!

I still want to see Transformers 2 and Public Enemies. Though, thus far, little of what I am aware of make me want to see them on big-screen, which takes a LOT of effort for me to get to from where I live now. I can wait to either see or buy them on DVD.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Hubby took me to see "Public Enemies" for our Anniversary. It was pretty good, lots of action and the effects with the shooting were impressive. I really don't like Christian Bale, he annoys me so much and was particularly annoying (as an actor and character) in this movie. But that's just me.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Hubby took me to see "Public Enemies" for our Anniversary. It was pretty good, lots of action and the effects with the shooting were impressive. I really don't like Christian Bale, he annoys me so much and was particularly annoying (as an actor and character) in this movie. But that's just me.

We saw Public Enemies this weekend as well. I'd agree pretty good sums it up.

I'd also have to point out it's got a significant bit of basic history flat out wrong. But, that's the danger of any movie with a historical basis, too much depth to show, real facts getting in the way of the story, it needs to be entertaining and it can't be overly long. Besides, people want to see the myth of John Dillinger ala Johnny Depp.

My wife loved Depp in it. I thought the look was fantastic, and it was well acted. I found movie overly long (2.5 hours) and while the action was great, there wasn't enough it, especially as we are talking John Dillinger. Heck, from a history stand point, they kill LESS people in the movie than the Dillinger gang did in real life. I can't recall if that's ever happened in the movies before?

A bit long, but still a fun movie over all.

Edited by Graydog

:P

The AFI right up the street from me is playing some classics... Escape from New York, Buckaroo Banzai and The Wrath of Khan sound like movies that might be worth watching.

http://www.afi.com/silver/new/nowplaying/2...ome3.aspx#adven

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

:P

The AFI right up the street from me is playing some classics... Escape from New York, Buckaroo Banzai and The Wrath of Khan sound like movies that might be worth watching.

http://www.afi.com/silver/new/nowplaying/2...ome3.aspx#adven

THOSE AREN'T CLASSIC MOVIES!

They are simply mature current releases.

<--Hobbles away with his cane mumbling about Snake Eyes Pleskin and casset tapes. Then realizes he's been abandonded smack dab in planet middle age by Black John's comment, grabs a business card thinking it's a communicator and screams..JOOHHHHNN.

Edited by Graydog