Sailing Superstitions

Misson

I was looking for something completely other when I came across this quiz on superstitions of the sea. I got 5 out of 10 right without cheating.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

8/10

Although, I would dispute one of the answers (that I got right), as it could be misleading. Without giving the answer completely away, seeing rats could be considered good or bad luck, depending on the context.

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Although, I would dispute one of the answers (that I got right), as it could be misleading.  Without giving the answer completely away, seeing rats could be considered good or bad luck, depending on the context.

It would make more sense if it were snakes ("Snakes! Why'd it have to be snakes?") instead of rats ("He would have never made it past the rats. He hates rats, he's scared to death of them."). Snakes are biblically reviled and an astounding number of the sea myths come from the bible. Rats were an every day occurrence. According to one book I read, when a ship became becalmed and the food ran out, the rats were often caught and sold to the highest bidder. (Think about that one over dinner tonight...)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

7/10

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

7/10

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Wow 6 out of 10. cool :o

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...