Pirate Arms

Guest Dirty Davy Cash

Doc, I would think that multiple buckshot rounds pose no more of a safety hazard to humans than would a single slug or large round ball. If you're in the vicinity, you're still in jeopardy.

I think the reason for mandating slugs over buckshot has more to do with making a clean hit or a clean miss on the deer, vs. making one or a couple less than lethal wounds.

:(

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old blackpowder guns of a given caliber. Wolfie, didn't fire as heavy a slug at as high a velocity as their modern caliber-counterparts, though; hence didn't kick as hard.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

At 50 yards maximum, let's say, just how inaccurate is a smoothbore? Especially when as a practical matter you can back up the ball with a few buck rounds? :blink:

Capt. William

At the last Governor's Cup Firelock Match I attended (Ft Frederick, Maryland), at 50 yards, firing right-handed (and I'm a southpaw), without practicing for a year, I was able to hit a man-sized target 2 or 3 times out of ten.

The guy who regularly won the musket competition used a Charleville, and he hit 10 for 10, all head shots as I recall.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

At 50 yards maximum, let's say, just how inaccurate is a smoothbore? Especially when as a practical matter you can back up the ball with a few buck rounds?  :ph34r:

Capt. William

At the last Governor's Cup Firelock Match I attended (Ft Frederick, Maryland), at 50 yards, firing right-handed (and I'm a southpaw), without practicing for a year, I was able to hit a man-sized target 2 or 3 times out of ten.

The guy who regularly won the musket competition used a Charleville, and he hit 10 for 10, all head shots as I recall.

Blackjohn

At the Grand Muster of the 17th Century, held every October at St. Mary's Citie, MD, I regularly get 5-6 inch groups at 50yds. That's with a smooth bore matchlock, .62 cal, shooting .595 ball unpatched, from the rest, as is correct for the period. Won the shoot several times like that.

Cap'n William- though I have not done it myself, I know a lot of people who have taken deer with muzzleloaders. Both Tulles (.62), and the Kings' Arm (.75) are common hunting guns and everyone I know shoots round ball for deer.

Hawkyns

:blink:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The Bess, or, to give the correct name, The King's Arm...

Interesting, in all my years of reenacting I've never heard it called the King's Arm. The official term is, from what I've read and been told, the Long Land Pattern or Land Land Service Musket. At least for early models, that is.

What's your source for the King's Arm? I certainly can envision it being called that in some circles, so I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just trying to satisfy my intellectual curiousity.

Of course, we pyrates we probably just call it musket, or firelock. Certainly not the King's Arm.... phhhttt!

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

Thank all of ye!! I be loving the looks of the Queen Anne pistol me lads

I have a love/hate relationship with QA pistols. They look really cool. They are very affordable. But generally, they were turn-off pistols. That's why the repro doesn't have a ramrod. So I'm always looking around for one when I need to load it. Of course, if it was a turn-off pistols (i.e., a screw-barrel) I'd be looking around for the spanner to unscrew/rescrew the barrel.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The old blackpowder guns of a given caliber. Wolfie, didn't fire as heavy a slug at as high a velocity as their modern caliber-counterparts, though; hence didn't kick as hard.

Capt. William

I believe it also has to do with the rate the powder burns, Capt.

The blackpowder of the period burned more slowly than modern powders, so felt recoil with a modern gun is one sharp punch, whereas the old guns would deliver more of a "shove" a bit spread out over time.

Thank all of ye!! I be loving the looks of the Queen Anne pistol me lads

I have a love/hate relationship with QA pistols. They look really cool. They are very affordable. But generally, they were turn-off pistols. That's why the repro doesn't have a ramrod. So I'm always looking around for one when I need to load it. Of course, if it was a turn-off pistols (i.e., a screw-barrel) I'd be looking around for the spanner to unscrew/rescrew the barrel.

Blackjohn

We've an assortment 'o 'locks aboard, includin' 'Queene Anne' types, but mebbee thar be a way you could adapt a bit 'o RR deck layout...we keep rather functional, generic ramrods in a couple 'o lengths on deck..eliminates pullin' ramrods outta pistols that have 'em, cutting down on breakage around roll pins, and facilitatin' them wot don't 'ave any.......Also, the linstocks for the cannons be just the right ramrods for anything over .62 (Brown Bess, fusil and trade guns, an' blunderbuss').....All of the above saves time and parts repair and replacement........

I got my guns from Jack ., Thank for the heads up Capt-Glen. And yea I am happy., three gonna be alotta fun to crate up and ship tho :lol: ., but they were worth it

:lol: HarborMaster :lol:

Tropicocannons01.jpg

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

We've an assortment 'o 'locks aboard, includin' 'Queene Anne' types, but mebbee thar be a way you could adapt a bit 'o RR deck layout...we keep rather functional, generic ramrods in a couple 'o lengths on deck..eliminates pullin' ramrods outta pistols that have 'em, cutting down on breakage around roll pins, and facilitatin' them wot don't 'ave any.......Also, the linstocks for the cannons be just the right ramrods for anything over .62 (Brown Bess, fusil and trade guns, an' blunderbuss').....All of the above saves time and parts repair and replacement........

Those are certainly good ideas. Fortunately (or unfortunately), the world of pirate re-enacting has less opportunities for reloading than, say, Revwar re-enacting. My pirate group has only done a few events with pitched battles. Whereas in my Revwar days, it wasn't uncommon to reach back and find your box empty, and then it was time to loot cartridges from the "dead."

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone made or know anyone interested in making a protective pouch for a flintlock pistol. Just curious what other pirates arr storing thier weapon in?., I was thinking on the leather pouch well greased? My Military heritage sea service pistol is already starting to show signs of oxidation and rust., and I have polished it off and it now is becoming more regular., whats everyone use for so picking it up isnt a grease ball .,yet at the same time keeping it protected?

:( HarborMaster :(

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Try using Mineral Oil - Its in the pharmacy under laxatives. Yea I know. But it is a natural one if you drink it. But Seriously, I do Rev War re enacting and the Cook says to use it on cast iron and my musket to keep it from Rusting. Lite coat will do it.

Searched many sword sites and recomended same thing. Japanese used to use something almost identical to mineral oil on those samaria swords. Only thing different is a additive for smell.

Good Luck.

Or paint the whole thing black. Sea service weapons were frequently painted to keep them from rusting. Though I suspect pirates probably didn't bother with that, and just spent plenty of time keeping their weapons clean and in good repair.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web