The sea bag in Hervey Garrett Smith's books

roytheodd

(A ditty bag is what was used to carry all of your ropework and sewing stuff. So technacly, unless you were working on something, why would you be carrying it?)

Patrick Hand- I politely challenge part of this. I have seen a list of personal effects of my great however many grandfather anthony collmer from the ship Mayfower (not the pilgrim one) out of Mass from 1684. Working supplies and personal were all found grouped in sacks in an orderly set when an inventory was done upon his death aboard another ship. apparently he owned a few. I will good sir heartily agree, these items were in storage at the time (as he was not aboard) and not carrying them on him. Based on this I would be reluctant to say that a ditty bag ONLY carried rope and sewing tools, but this does show that goods were stored in sacks of some sort.

• 3 weeks later...

Market Wallet

Ok, so I got me some heavy linen material, I ran 'n got me some sharp scissors t' cut it with, 'n I got me a sharp pointy needle thing with some linen string small enough for t' go through th' teeny tiny hole in th' end o' it.

Now; I look'd up how t' do a run'n stitch, I think I can figure out that 'rolled edge' dealy.....BUT

....when ye come t' th' end o' a stitch, How Th' Heck Does Ye Tie Th' Dern Thing Off?? B)

I always end up with a big 'ol knot 'n I know that ain't right, so just what is the correct way of tie'n off a stitch before cut'n it???

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

first- go find Kass' articles on stitching at reconstructing history. you will end the stitch by doubling it back on itself. i was not a believer and of the "it must be tied off else it wont hold" cult myself till i tried it. it works just fine.

second- make the bag inside out (so all the stitching is outside) and flip it right side out after- you can probably avoid the rolled edge that way.

Aye, I have gone through Kass' article but found all the pics now miss'n but was able t' Google for most. I missed the 'double back' part so I will ha'e t' go seek it out for a full description.....No tying ye say?!!?

B)

'n aye, I do plan t' work inside out...figure it be easier then crawl'n inside then try t' get out when I finish B)

But the "rolled edge", I was go'n t' ask 'bout that next as well.

Exactly what is a 'Rolled Edge' finish, 'n in what manner does turning out the finished item 'avoid' ha'en t' do it??

I did find these instructions:

Running Stitch with Overcasting

Would this be th' way t' handle th' opening??

oh, 'n I be work'n with 17oz unbleached 'n pre-shrunk Hemp/Linen canvas

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!