FYI

Poopdeck Pappy

I once shot a tetanus in me nickers!

...how it ever got in me nickers I'll never know :o

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

If the ship is the Eagle, then it came a long way from New London, Connecticut. That's the USCG training vessel. I believe Colombia and Germany have a similar ship like the one below. I think they are the same class but ours has the red coast guard stripe:

PELL2.jpg

Beavertail State park...Jamestown, R.I

SHIP2-1.jpg

Eagle does have a stripe on her bow, though that's only been since 1976. Before that, she was the more traditional plain white. As a German vessel, Eagle was named Horst Wessel. During WWII, she is credited with shooting down an allied plane. After the war, the U.S. Coast Guard took the vessel as a war prize and turned her into a training vessel for Coast Guard Academy cadets, a job she still performs today. She has a few sister ships that were doled 0out to various countries after WWII, and most of them still sail as training vessels. Her sister ships are:

Gorch Fock, which sailed under USSR and Ukranian flags after the war, and is now owned by a private company and has returned to Germany, though it is unknown if she'll sail again.

Mircea, was built for Romania. Both the Gorch Fock and the Mircea are about 7m shorter than Eagle, but were built in the same yard and along very similar lines. Essentially, later designs were improved by lengthening the hull and adding a more powerful engine. Mircea is still sailing the world's oceans today.

Sagres III, was given to Brazil after WWII and later purchased by the Portugese Navy and is still sailing today.

Herbert Norkus was unfinished, as she was launched early to clear the slipway for submarines. At the end of the war, she was filled with gas grenades and scuttled in the harbor. Her yards, which had been prepared, were later used for the Gorch Fock II, built in 1958.

Gorch Fock II was built to replace Germany's training vessels, which were all taken as war reparations. She was built along the same lines as the originals, but modified slightly due to the sinking of Pamir in 1957. She still sails today.

Other vessels built as traininsh ships have been significantly influenced by this extremely effective design, including Gloria (Columbia, built in 1967), Guayas (Equador, built in 1976), Simón Bolívar (Venezuela, built in 1979), and Cuauhtémoc (Mexico, built in 1982).

Coastie :o

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg