Making a Canvas A tent

Hello Me Hearties

Me and my Lovely mate are planing to make our first A frame Tent we know where to get all the stuff, but my question is what type of thread do we need to keep the Tent together. I dont want to get the wrong thread and have the tent start falling apart during a light or medium wind any suggestions would be helpful

thankie

Ol Jack ;)

I am in the middle of sewing a tent for myself as well....

I am using THIS THREAD from Reconstructing History. It is so thick it is only usable by hand sewing or I have managed to get it to work with a leather stitching awl as well... If you are machine sewing, it will not work for you.

If you are machine sewing, I would actually recommend using an upholstery thread (even though it is nylon), as most natural threads are too "slubby" to work in sewing machines without jamming them up. If you can fine a good heavy cotton thread (if cotton uphostery thread even exists), that might be even better, because it is still a natural fibre... I have just never had any luck finding such a thing.

Hope this has helped.

Michael_banner.jpg