Dream ticket 2008

:ph34r::ph34r:;);):ph34r::ph34r:

so wrong, but so true.... :ph34r:;);):ph34r:

thanks for the laugh.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

:lol:;):lol::lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Yeah that sums it up alright... :lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

i still support team of snoopy and woodstock

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

"Good photo shop work. BUT does every one on the forum really feel that way about the three Senators?"

Youre right, that was a terrible thing to do. Moe, Curly, Larry, please forgive me. I won't insult you guys like that again. :lol:

"i still support team of snoopy and woodstock"

But I cannot understand anything the bird says. :huh:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bo

and you understand all the words the pols are saying?

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

Good photo shop work.  BUT does every one on the forum really feel that way about the three Senators?

No. But if we were to take it seriously, it would lead to a harangue that would probably pointlessly produce nothing but ill will. You don't usually have much luck changing people's minds in political discussions. Politics is a funny thing. Emory University did a fascinating study where they had people read statements by two presidential candidates and some neutral people (Bush, Kerry and Tom Hanks are mentioned.) The documents contained self-contradicting statements by each of them. From Emory's news release on the study:

"Next, partisans were asked to consider the discrepancy, and then to rate the extent to which the person's words and deeds were contradictory. Finally, they were presented with an exculpatory statement that might explain away the apparent contradiction, and asked to reconsider and again rate the extent to which the target's words and deeds were contradictory.

Behavioral data showed a pattern of emotionally biased reasoning: partisans denied obvious contradictions for their own candidate that they had no difficulty detecting in the opposing candidate. Importantly, in both their behavioral and neural responses, Republicans and Democrats did not differ in the way they responded to contradictions for the neutral control targets, such as Hanks, but Democrats responded to Kerry as Republicans responded to Bush.

While reasoning about apparent contradictions for their own candidate, partisans showed activations throughout the orbital frontal cortex, indicating emotional processing and presumably emotion regulation strategies. There also were activations in areas of the brain associated with the experience of unpleasant emotions, the processing of emotion and conflict, and judgments of forgiveness and moral accountability."

So the study finds we are wired to support what we want to believe. (That seems intuitively obvious to me, but here's a nice study to support it.)

The best thing I've heard on the political brain was in a podcast from a Radio Australia program called All in the Mind that was done on Nov 17, 2007. (That's where I first came across the above study.) You can read the transcript here: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stor...007/2089172.htm

The most fascinating bit was the method most people use to decide their voting strategy. I'll quote the transcript so as not to get it wrong. According to Drew Westen, a Professor of Psychology at Emory University:

"The four biggest predictors of people's voting behaviour are first and foremost their feelings towards the parties and their principles. The second is their gut level feelings about the person who's running, the third is their feelings towards that person's personal attributes like strength and empathy and leadership and every once in a while competence. And then finally, last but quite least is their feelings about the candidate's position on issues. So if you start from that bottom of the hierarchy you're actually not going to do a very good job of winning hearts and minds."

Positions run dead last! :ph34r: This is why arguing politics with most people is pointless. However, posting funny pictures of the race sort of puts us all at the same footing - most people can appreciate the humor of such a picture. Most people haven't been able to take politicos seriously since Watergate gave us a tangible reason for not trusting them. (Curiously, such things had been reported and discovered in the past, but they never really took hold until Watergate. This probably has a lot to do with the status quo discontentment which was so readily embraced by the Baby Boom generation.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg