Converting a suit jacket to short coat

remembering that most jackets etc. from this time period had all the edges left raw,

I'm not the one to pose this question but I am also not the one to research it either ...have you doccumentation to support this statement? Would you kindly share it?

Not sure how much documentation is out there, but those rare items out there on this subject, some surviving outfits do have raw edges. Example some gowns especially if they have been pinked (a type of scallopping) and regimentals that were unlined were left with raw edges. Wools and some silks were tight and finely woven that hemming was rarely required.

Eager to see this jacket of yo'rs, BHP. :blink:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

oh thanks alot milady, you know I'm gonna hear about this and hve to finish that old jacket, and a few other sewing projects I promised. by the way , the Williamsburg collection has some excellent examples of the raw edge type of clothing. I have a book somewhere on that collection, but it is probably on line. I have some other documentation, if there is interest I would be happy to seek it out. By the way Silkie , the book " the cut of men's clothes 1600-1900" by Norah Waugh is a good source of info on the raw edge thing.

Edited by gunner Gordon

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become