Powder Monkey 2008

Patrick Hand

I have to agree with Hurricane. You're asking for trouble when you let an under-aged child fire gun or let him fire a cannon. On top of everything else, what do you do if the kid's parents are the sort who doesn't want their kids to handle guns -even toy guns- at all? (Wacky? Sure, to us - but it's not your kid. It takes all kinds of people...

Honestly Fort Ticonderoga used to pick a kid from the crowd to fire of their cannons all the time, but that was a few years back... people are so sue happy nowadays that one wonders if they still allow that...

And as far as the parents not wanting their child to handle a gun, I would hope then they would speak up and say "sorry pick another child"... they would be really wacky if they didn't.... B)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Honestly Fort Ticonderoga used to pick a kid from the crowd to fire of their cannons all the time, but that was a few years back... people are so sue happy nowadays that one wonders if they still allow that...

How long ago was a few years back?

When I was firing the cannons (which was great fun and every re-enactor who's interested should have a go at it), the whole upper part of the wee little cannon actually kicked back off the carriage once. Probably no damage would be done even if it did happen to a kid, but...

Remember that they wouldn't even allow the hanging rig to be set up because of the potential psychological impact. B)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

How long ago was a few years back?

When I was firing the cannons (which was great fun and every re-enactor who's interested should have a go at it), the whole upper part of the wee little cannon actually kicked back off the carriage once. Probably no damage would be done even if it did happen to a kid, but...

Remember that they wouldn't even allow the hanging rig to be set up because of the potential psychological impact. B)

Oh I remember..funny how that psychological impact only screws up one idiot in the bunch and he always gets his way. What is that expression about one bad apple? ;);)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I know I have shared this in the past somewhere at the pub...

But could this be a solution to letting a kid blow off some black powder without the liability or overly protective parents concern? B)

Kiddie safe cannon?

I think between Jessica and I, we know have three of these canons, so it could almost be a broadside launch by the top three powder monkeys.

Michael_banner.jpg

That small one actually looks more dangerous than a full sized cannon, that's been loaded by competent people, for a kid to fire. Primarily, there is a greater chance of them stepping in front of the barrel. Does anyone have a simple signal cannon using a 12 guage blank black powder shell? You just have to pull a lanyard, there's very little or no recoil, depending on the type of carriage/stand, and it makes a loud noise and lots of smoke. Sure, it's not exactly p.c., but it doesn't look as much like a gun (hopefully mellowing out some of those radical parents), the direction of fire can be controlled better than either the small cannon or a small arm, and there's no problem with the pan flash/fuse causing injury. Furthermore, when I was at the Coast Guard Academy, they fired one off twice a day. I don't know how old the cannon itself was, but it rarely even saw maintenance beyond a wipedown and was in use for at least 5 years (probably much longer, and it is still probably the same cannon today). The stress from blanks in large barrels is minimal, so it's probably in almost the same condition as when it was made. It was similar to the picture below, but nickel plated steel instead of brass.

n_cg_winch_l.jpg

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Geez guys, it was only a suggestion! I just couldn't let that fabrication about "GUNS" blowing up go by. Maybe one time but plural? C'mon people. Anyhow, who's to say that you won't get sued if one of the tikes trips in the sack and breaks a nose, some teeth, or their skull? Or for that matter someone walking on that coral you all love so much could bust their ass in the Mercury camp, fall inot the fire and POOF! OH MY GOD... Better cancel the public coming in at all! :ph34r:

Sorry I ever said anything. Geez... the sky is falling and it's all Bo,s doing. ;)

Bo

I don't know if this would work or not...

Sorry, hadda quote myself.....

I can see almost the same problems with holding a blank loaded gun, and letting the winning child pull the trigger as I can with letting them pull (a realy long lanyard) and fire a real cannon. liability, safety and such... (don't miss-quote this, you get the idea, without a three page post describing exactly what I mean....)

Also, I don't own a cannon, so it would have to be borrowed to fire it. The gun crew doing all of the loading, work , safty check, supervision and such.... (heck, here I am vollunteering someone else again.....)

OK, there are some "parts" that would have to be worked out...

I still think,

1. it would have to be done in a very safe manner. and with approval of the Fort. (and a really long lanyard...)

2. it would be so dang cool if it could be worked out.

I still think it would be sooo cool, but if it's not do-able, then I'll/we'll have to figure something else out....

• 1 month later...

I just finished reading through the thread. ( Yes, I can read).

Here's a thought. Instead of letting a small one fire a flint or cannon, what about letting them yell "FIRE" for the first round of cannon or flint during the taking of the fort, or when it is defended. The wee one becomes part of the crew and given an offical parcment designating him/her as a ships gunner.

This way there is no liability and they feel like part of the action. They can be kept out of the way while the action continues. :lol:

:rolleyes: Capt., Bill Gunn

That sound like a good idea to me.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

what about letting them give ALL the orders.... you know, with the lines being fed to them from someone with the cannon crew..

let them feel like being in charge of the whole operation...

" step lively, you scurvy dogs !!"

that might be just as cool...