Powder Monkey 2008

Patrick Hand

I don't know if this would work or not...

But what if we had a compitition, knot tying (we'd have to teach how to tie knots first), relay race with bags of (fake ) Powder, that sorta thing...

The winner would get a scroll proclaiming them Powder Monkey of the Year, and get to pull the lanyard to fire a real cannon.

OK, I can see a few problems with this idea, But we should be able to figure out a safe way to do it. (a realy LONG lanyard.....)

But hey... a big time newspaper photo/news op, and imagine how you would have felt as a kid to fire a real cannon.

I think that's a great idea. We could do it by the stage in the fort. We could also cross promote the games they have going on for the kids at the same time.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

As for the reward, one of my favorite memories from early on was firing a cannon. I was a little cub scout, and tagged along with my brother's boy scout troup for a memorial day service at a cemetery. Well, I was way to young to carry a flag, but they let me fire the cannon! It was just a standard 12-guage blank signal cannon, and it surprised me enough to put me on my rear when it did go off, but that probably was my first experience on the long road to becoming a dedicated pirate. The games, however, are a great idea. Good luck with it; I wish I could be there to help out, though unless someone can spot me the airfare from Alaska, I won't be able to make it this year.

Coastie :D

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

one of my favorite memories from early on was firing a cannon.

That's what I'm thinking.....

Dang for a kid to get to fire a real cannon... the memorys that would make. Like I typed... a really long lanyard so it's safe.... but what a prize..... we'd warp the kids mind fer life......aaargh :D

Um ye better speak with them that own the big guns first, there were a number of safety concerns last year... just a thought.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

It's a very good idea, Patrick. As additional ideas, you could have the Callahans photograph the Powder Monkey of the Year for a poster. We could have hammock relays to see how fast the monkeys can get to work at the call of "All hands!". A hard tack eating contest (which might be a good adult activity as well). A shot carrying relay. We could have life-line tying contests.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

sounds like a great idea.... just some particulars to be worked out...count me in as a volunteer to help out in any manner..

those wood swords for 13 to 15 $ , and mebbe a cocked hat for prizes if the cannon safety issue doesn't work out ???

dunno.. just thinking again..

I figure there are three parts to be .... figured out..

Advertising/sign-up, getting them to participate.

The actual games and what they do.

and the prize.

There is still plenty of time to figure everything out, But it should be fun.

You might wish to consider running these games just prior to the battles, this ensures a better turn out for spectators...although, having run such games for thirteen years...watch out, the kids usually don't like to leave them and go else where....snigger.

And aye, advertising is key here... you can actually have them come dressed as pirates for their own costume contest... that always goes over big.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Hopefully we can supply the chip log and navigational items for another race.

Crewe of the Archangel

I think all the ideas are terrific. However, since the Bone Island crew was in charge of the games there last year, I would check that we don't steal their thunder or create things that conflict with what they're doing.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Aye very good point, would be much better to try and combine things.

Crewe of the Archangel

We certainly all have the manpower (or pirate power) available to help out and come up with some great stuff. I think it's a grand idea. I know there are two in my crewe that are planning to teach the kids how to be proper militia -- putting them through all the drills in a semi-crazed version of Simon Sez...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

If the cannon doesn't "pan-out", I'll bet some pyrate with a Blunderbuss would make a kid just as happy... :ph34r:

Just a thought, and it works very well for me when the parents consent to allow their youn'uns to fire my flinter. I keep disposable earplugs and a pair of safety glasses just for that reason when doing presentations. I show them how to roll the cartrige using a cotton ball for a bullet , then load and fire. Kids go wild and the last time I did this it used up nearly a pound of powder!

Bo

I'm not sure the fort would want the liability of letting a child fire a gun. We all go through safety checks and we all have certain rules we have to follow. While I let my own kid fire my doglock off in my yard, I would be loathe to handle a loaded weapon to a stranger. There is always a chance that the weapon will misfire... I've seen barrels of seemingly fine weapons suddenly explode before... not really good publicity for the event.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

chance that the weapon will misfire... I've seen barrels of seemingly fine weapons suddenly explode before... not really good publicity for the event.

-- Hurricane

I cannot buy that one dude. Shooting blanks with 30 gr. of powder blowing up a good barrel? Sorry, no way hoss.

Bo

You are correct. Even the trade gun is a bit much for the midgets to hold on their own, and adult hands-on supervision/control is a must. I have had the little tikes let go as soon as it goes boom and you don't want yer shooter hittin the dirt! :blink:

By all means clear it with the fort, I never suggested otherwise. It was only a suggestion. I am still laughing though, Hurricane, that was funny. B)

Bo

Others can gladly step forward. I won't hand my gun off to any child that is a stranger to me. In this sue happy world of ours, I won't risk my home or business for a moment of recklessness. Accidents do happen, usually when it seems the most harmless (anyone ever watch a friend get their fingers blow off with a seemingly innocuous firecracker?) and my crewe will not be a party to it.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I have to agree with Hurricane. You're asking for trouble when you let an under-aged child fire gun or let him fire a cannon. On top of everything else, what do you do if the kid's parents are the sort who doesn't want their kids to handle guns -even toy guns- at all? (Wacky? Sure, to us - but it's not your kid. It takes all kinds of people... B) )

I'd be astounded if the Fort would allow it in any event. In fact, I'd be amazed if they'd let you share your gun with adult attendees under the best conditions. As someone mentioned, they make all the volunteers go through a whole safety presentation and inspect weapons before every re-enacted conflict. They also insist we only fire weapons during conflicts. Why would they allow someone off the street just merrily handle a weapon when those who own the weapons have to go through all those hoops?

Whether harm is likely or not, there's a huge potential liability for the fort to consider that would damage them, this event and all future re-enactment events there. (And probably elsewhere. That's how tort law works.) All it would take is one person to do something stupid with your gun and the fort winds up in court and PiP probably ends.

We'd be better to give kids certificates, photos, little toys or something like that. If you want to give folks a treat with the black powder, share your guns with folks at home where you're not putting the park and the state of Florida at risk. Dumb? Sure. (God love the almighty lawyer. ;) )

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg