So Cal Ren Faire

Lady Alyx

No proper leather gear at faire??? Tis' passing strange, as I be always seein' good leather goods there.

What kinda weapons do ye be needin'? P'haps I could help ya.

Not been to any meetups? Sorry mate, I thought ye had. I have ta rise early me'sef ta crunch figures fer me company.

Yup you pay to go in you can dress as you like

I don't know, that may work for some but myself, I would prefer to think about the rest of the 'paying customers' personally. If they pay to see a Ren faire from 1400 then I personally would not feel right coming as Buck Rogers or Col. Sanders, just would not seem right. But as a pirate of proper period I could live with myself.

Call me 'sensitive' but pirate 'r not I just not be into 'party crashing' when 'joining' the party can be fun too....besides, I got enough enemies for ta hold at bay in this life.

I

Well, that's the beauty of it...

You can do as you like. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

People like that are oart of the show and they always have been.

My faves have always been the women who come dressed in chain mail bras and loin cloths.

Then you see then running from shade to shade in the hot afternoon sun when they start burning. (Much head shaking) B)

Gotta love it. :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Yeah I still remember that woman who came in dressed in a G-string, pasties a cape and fur covered boots. I know there are paying people to an Elizabethan (1548-1603) faire who'd like to see that! :ph34r:

I Wanta See That!!!

B)

I still remember when I first fell in love with the Ren Faire; it was back in the spring of 1960 somthing, I was but a wee lad of 6 'r 7 year old an' the faire was held farther out, in some valley to the north if memory still serve me. I had separated from me folks to explore alone and whilst taking refuge under an old oak tree and pretty lass came from o'r the hill, she had on not but a skimpy skirt that went to farther up her trim body then her waist - It was love at first sight!!! I can still remember when she sat down under the tree with her friends and one asked her what she thought she be doin' with no top side on and she just reply "Well this was common back in these days"

I LOVE truth!!

oh, and mcdrago, I be saving fer a flintlock, will most likely go through the net unless I happen to come across a wandering tradesman at faire but that I do not expect here on the west coast (wanting 'real' not fake, got fake already), and I be looking fer a fine dagger. Now don't ask me "what kind of dagger" fer I don't know, but when I see it I will know....it is out there, it is waiting for me, somewhere out there.....

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Mad...gonna slap you if you don't get it in yer thick noggin..that they will not attack you if you are not true to costume..only people part of the faire and guilds have the strict costuming guidelines placed upon them...faire goer's/visitors do not get subjected to it. There enough said.

Mad I will be at the Pirate Faire in Corona on the 26th...late afternoon till closing.

I am going to try to get to Faire the 19th.

As to leather I know one of the pouch makers...known her since the 80's...let me know if you want to know about this vendor?

McDrago....I as well have been going to Agoura since the early 80's. Those where the best days of Faire...and the early days of Glen Helen....when you can still bring animals!!!!!!!

Iron Bess and others?

A couple of years ago at Irwindale did you see that guy almost done up like the devil...with all the red pleather....did you see the cod piece on that costume...oh my'ssssss! Peeps where taking pics with him left and right.

Oh yeah I remember seeing gals in Chain Mail teddy's with nothin on underneath. But I heard the new Irwindale management even frowns upon cleavage.....but heh! They did not want the Belly Dancers in the beginning...glad they changed their tune about them...since that is one of the performances or troupes I never miss and dance along with them.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

But I always thought it be 'When in Rome do as the Romans do an' When in Tortuga do as the Pirates do" :huh:

I know if'n I see any Ren Pixies dancing around a pirate faire then I just might put them in a jar and take them home!

:blink:

Bout that leather crafter, I just be picky, no real 'design' in mind, just lookin fer a belt pouch 'r one with its own straps but it must be made from vegie tanned leather, preferably stitched but rivets I guess would be ok if the rest I like, but not those 'star' like rivets I saw on the ones at the Ravenswood booth. They are alright I suppose as outside they look like regular rivets, but not the one I be seekin'....just would not be close enough to 'period' fer me.

For now I just carry me skydive dive nylon webbing wallet in me pocket, out o' sight....until I come to the beer tent B)

fair winds? That will not be till October, November from here out....lessen ye set sail fer the other side o' the equator. From here out it just goin to get hot, Hot, HOTT :rolleyes:

96 it got here, an I be just a 10min sail away due east as the gull flies. ;)

Hope the weather keeps a coolin' for the Cutthroats o' Corona in two weeks! It tends to be 3 to 5 degree hotter o'r there then it be here, on the average.

And I just discover that wool socks shrink EVEN in cold water!!! :rolleyes:

....an' they look't so nice after a good dip in some weak black die :rolleyes:

oh well, guess it be stripies fer now...

mcdrago, if yer buckle be of brass then try this an' ye be havin a right old buckle in 24hrs:

1) strip any protective coating off with acetone (outside preferred)

2) now get yerself some FINE grade metal sandpaper and finish stripping the surface off.

:rolleyes: NAY Mcdrago!!! Yer Buckle! Your Buckle!!! Not yer lady....geesh, pirates! B)

3) find a bucket it lays flat in.

4) find some smooth flat rocks or other Non-Absorbent item that ye can rest the buckle upon with the least amount o' surface contact (a wire mesh would work fine too)

5) get ye down t' the market place and acquire some ammonia.

6) pour about an inch or more o' the ammonia in the bottom o' the bucket, place the rocks in the bottom so as t' suspend yer nice shiny buckle just above the surface - Do NOT let the buckle actually touch the ammonia!

7) now cover the bucket as air tight as possible.

8) pour yerself some rum and fill yer pipe and enjoy the rest o' the evening.

Now, in the morn, 'er around noon the next day, carefully uncover the bucket an' remove yer now tarnished buckle. DO NOT RUB IT YET!! Set it aside an' let the fumes evaporate off it naturally, a couple hours should be fine.

Optional: if ye wants t' continue some more then once it be good an' dry an' the tarnish has set in then wipe it down wit fresh water. Make some scratches and nicks in it, now wipe it down wit a soft cloth soaked in white vinegar an' set aside for t' dry. Ye should begin ta see some nice green or orange crusting begin (color depend upon the brass content I believe). Repeat this option as much as ye wish until the desired tone and amount develop.

Fer the brass buttons on me frock I wiped them well wit the acetone an' lightly wit some fine grade metal sand paper. Then I soaked some paper towels in vinegar an' cover'd each button. I found it worked best on the ones what had some minor air pockets under the paper. Then let lay out an' dry till the morn. Then remove th' paper and wipe wit water soaked towel - Instant 300 year old brass buttons an' they ne'r left the threads!

;)

Now fer that corset....she really do not need that part o' the garb, just explain that corsets they be 'optional' ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Something happened at the end of Faire on Saturday, a bunch of police, ambulance and fire trucks came to the back entrance to where the faire folk enter. Does anybody know what happened? It was quite an ordeal to exit.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg