how do you support your pirate habit?

me be a wunderin...

what ye all do to finance yore pirate activities?

me wants to know the innards an' landscape of yore noggins.....

i be a registered nurse by trade... 24 years... me dopes folks up aft'r we done sliced and carv'd their carcass.... me seen loads...

and me mateys???

lady constance

Now theres an interesting question...we need new topics

I freelance graphics and web design, but my main job is at JFK.

You'd be surprised at what we see there too.. :o

I expect to spend waay too much on kit this year.

Ack! I still need to get those shoes from Mary D!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Normally I'd want to combine this with the post called What's Your Day Job? that already discusses this question (to keep things consolidated and make sure that that bit of pyracy.com history doesn't get weeded for lack of recent posts.) However, the ever-creative posters 'round these parts have taken this in a different direction, answering the letter of the question, if not the spirit so I'll do nothin'. (I'm good at that.)

However, if you want to find out what the pirates of pyracy have said in the past about their day jobs or you feel compelled to explain your day job, please feel free to check out the above linked post. :angry:

And I do street theatre for tips to get money to finance my newly acquired surgeon habit. (It's a bad habit.)

mute_front.jpg

Patrick, you aarr a pirate rogue to the core...wasn't that a berthed Disney ship you and Captain Jim were eying at PiP? I sense a pattern...

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

i make cuts in our food budget and going out on weekends on top of working as a project manager/print designer/event planner/ training developer/ instructional designer/ classroom facilitator for an airline training department where flying for free and staying at hotels for a discounted rate helps facilitate our trips for various islands, running away from daily life and going to pirate activities.

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

Hmm…now that be a good question! (Bess ponders a bit).

I do manage the kitchen and the buttery for Captain Sterling. He gives me an allowance to furnish the household with goods and stocks of meats.

(Turns and looks over her shoulder to see if the Captain is about).

But there be many a penny saved if you know how to haggle with the Butcher and the Baker. Tis a sin what the Butcher charges for a side of mutton not to mention the price for a loaf of bread! I dare say that pig trotters are just as good and when mixed in a stew, who would be the knowing of it? Day old bread along with cheap port and a few moldy potatoes…no one knows the difference?!

With the money I save the household…I can manage to steal away for a trip or two…and the Captain need not know of any of this. Snugs the word!

Bessbeingcalledout.jpg

Bess Hagarty - Indentured Servant

I scrimp and save and try to make most of my own outfits.

Course it also helps to have gift cards from Christmas (I always tell people get me gift cards to JoAnn's or Michael's), and a nice guy who likes to just give me some money to get what I want, or he's with me and buy's it for me.

Course it really depends on what it is.... :angry:

Diosa and I work at home in shorts and t-shirts so the money we save from not having to buy corporate monkey suits buys us our clothing. The cars are paid off so we can buy guns and cannons and powder. Who needs a new car every two years when you can get a cannon on ebay?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

OVERTYME !

pirate.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

............"But there be many a penny saved if you know how to haggle with the Butcher and the Baker. Tis a sin what the Butcher charges for a side of mutton not to mention the price for a loaf of bread! I dare say that pig trotters are just as good and when mixed in a stew, who would be the knowing of it? Day old bread along with cheap port and a few moldy potatoes…no one knows the difference?! "..........

;);)

ye be me kin of mind.. teh cap'n either got real intelligent and asks no more--

or the lassies and lads stopped snurking when he sops up my creations using strange components/left overs

i got a bargain price for 1/4 th a buffalo -- we ate it for close to 9 months!!! i lost weight.. cause i DONT like it, it smells like grass, tastes like grass--- and 1/4th of a buffalo is HUGE!!!!!!! to get rid of it faster i invited company and did not tell them it was tatonka.....

i got a bargain price for 1/4 th a buffalo -- we ate it for close to 9 months!!! i lost weight.. cause i DONT like it, it smells like grass, tastes like grass--- and 1/4th of a buffalo is HUGE!!!!!!! to get rid of it faster i invited company and did not tell them it was tatonka.....

Lilly looks over at Bess and Lady Constance.

I dare say, I rather not know what I am eating - thank you Bess.

Oh, and Bess lives only 1/8 of mile from a Buffalo farm. If the wind is right in the summer you can hear them....and smell them, too! ;);)

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Damn..lol looks like Patrick is the only real pirate among us ...but we knew that <_<

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I give blood once a week an' once a month I march me little men into a jar.

What that don't cover, I plunder!!

<_<

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...

This is a tougher question than it was but a few years ago.

Currently, now... I just pick events, see if it's doable or not. Then pray to God I can go (hopefully nothin' 'll happen to where I can't go).

mostly now it's see about travelling with someone, rooming with someone when needed. I prefer the reenactments where they have the camping, and some pitch in for food or food is provided, etc. All ye have t' do is get there (gas expense). Use to be pretty darn cheap vacation. Not any more with gas prices shooting so high.

So, at the moment, it's a hit and miss deal. Outfits, they take a lot longer to make as I purchase items and materials a little bit at a time now. Instead of in bulk like I use to do.

Anything to find a good deal on something I could use for events IF it's something I REALLY need.

It's getting harder and harder to support a hobby especially if you can't deduct it from your taxes. :ph34r:

That and most places around here... good luck bein' paid t' perform as a pirate. Cheap devils. :ph34r:

~Lady B

B)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Hmmm, LadyBarbossa be makin' me think it be time to return to the old pirate ways;

stake out on a main trade route on the Interstate and wait fer a likely victim to come along, then rush in and demand their surrender, then we TAKES their sloop, their food, an' all their valuables (an' give nuthin back of cours) an' it then be Off To The Faire!!!

:rolleyes:

just watch out for the little blighters that carry guns or stunners.. makes a person a bit dizzzy ta see a Glock in your face whilst trying to drum up a little gold.. and the language when alls you want is their purse!! damn little buggers..

I spend as little as possible elsewhere, and work the fests and faires where I can for free entry and food chits. I try to drive and stay with others as much as possible, and plan far in advance so I know how much I have to come up with.. Where I live, its 2 hours minimum to drive to a fest/faire.. I've bunked with some weird and wonderful people: driven 5 hours or more to get there before dark on Friday, set up camp, done faire, drove 5 hours on Monday and then worked 9 hours that day. and I call it fun. :blink:

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

I volunteer on a replica of a 1626 Dutch 200 tonne Pinnace!

Kalamar Nykel

an' we all know what the pirate code fer 'volunteer' be :rolleyes:

I make it myself when I can. And when I can't, I have someone else make it for me for cost. And if he or she can't - I buy. But making it yourself, or having someone else make it for you for cost of materials and whatnot, is actually quite affordable. It just isn't quick.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum