Blacksmithing at PiP

I can...but it will cost you.

Really? How much? How will you make it? Sandcast?

I don't know how I would make it. That's why it would cost you. It would take me longer than most. Still, I do want to make one, so I plan to learn how. I've done a little forge work and some sandcasting, but I'm not set up for either at present.

If you need one right away, you should chase after a craftsman more experienced than me.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I don't know how I would make it. That's why it would cost you. It would take me longer than most. Still, I do want to make one, so I plan to learn how. I've done a little forge work and some sandcasting, but I'm not set up for either at present.

If you need one right away, you should chase after a craftsman more experienced than me.

I wonder if Godwin would be willing to carry them if you could do it? They currently sell their large bone saw for $95. They have the most hit-or-miss supplier of medical instruments I have ever seen. I have had a scarificator on order since November. They just told me that their supplier will get to it when he gets to it. He doesn't like to make them because they take so much time. B)

I was sort of hoping to get a large bone saw for PiP. I need a proper arm and leg bone saw, all I have is that little one (for fingers and such) which, in addition to being too small is not period correct.

I need a good blacksmith!!

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I wonder if Godwin would be willing to carry them if you could do it? They currently sell their large bone saw for $95. They have the most hit-or-miss supplier of medical instruments I have ever seen. I have had a scarificator on order since November. They just told me that their supplier will get to it when he gets to it. He doesn't like to make them because they take so much time. B)

I was sort of hoping to get a large bone saw for PiP. I need a proper arm and leg bone saw, all I have is that little one (for fingers and such) which, in addition to being too small is not period correct.

I need a good blacksmith!!

I'll throw the project to my friend Big Mike. He has done stuff for me before and he might be able to tackle this one.

After spending a month and a half in Canada, I am back home...

And I have been looking through the "Living and Working in the Seventeenth Century England" CD Rom, and oh my... There are lots of goodies on it... Plenty of images of various blacksmithing tools. The sketches are pretty basic, so fine detail is not present. But the images give more than sufficiently good views of the items to get a solid impression of what the tools look like.

And Misson, there is a fair bit of medical stuff in there as well. If there is anything in particular you are interested in, please let me know and I will email you the relevant images/quotes.

Thanks again Hurricane for mentioning this find of yours. I am VERY please with my copy of this.

Michael_banner.jpg

I am interested in ALL the medical stuff. I'm writing this book, see...

However, I checked and I can upload both pdf and tiff files from that EEBO database of this book for free once I get back to the university. This will probably work just fine for my purposes.

BTW, I recently found out about another period-relevant on-line database that has more books. It's the Thompson-Gale Eighteenth Century database. You can read about it here if you're interested. I have to pay for access to another university's library to get to this one, though. I may or may not do that, depending on how things go. There are some books in there that interest me, particularly on the 18th century view of diseases, but I have more than I can get through right now anyhow.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

• 1 month later...

Oh, ah. An interesting quote for you blacksmiths out there!

"A portable forge was an important item in the equipment of every ship. Many a vessel returned to tell the tale after sustaining serious damage which was repaired successfully entirely from her own resources in some distant part of the globe. After his profitable voyage around the world in 1586-88, Sir Thomas Candish attempted another which was unsuccessful largely because of the bad weather he met in the region of the Cape Horn. When his damaged ships, one of them only 64 tons, found shelter where repairs could be executed, the first thing was to set up the portable forge on shore for making nails." (W.R. Thower, Life at Sea in the Age of Sail, p. 34)

• 11 months later...

Every year that I've attended I've lamented the silent forge at the fort. It would be such a great addition to hear the hammer and anvil on chorus together. We need to strongly consider using that great site this year.

Even an open tavern there called the "Old Forge" would be great, so long as the spot is used. The place is well shaded, while still possessed of great light by day. The forge could be festooned with lanterns and serve pirates coming and going at all hours of the day, especially with our growing numbers. What surprises me most is that it isn't used. String a few hammocks. Place a few chairs and tables. The place begs for a new and ambitious crew of sutlers.

Any budding or experienced blacksmiths ready to take on the task of an unused resource?

Every year that I've attended I've lamented the silent forge at the fort. It would be such a great addition to hear the hammer and anvil on chorus together. We need to strongly consider using that great site this year.

Even an open tavern there called the "Old Forge" would be great, so long as the spot is used. The place is well shaded, while still possessed of great light by day. The forge could be festooned with lanterns and serve pirates coming and going at all hours of the day, especially with our growing numbers. What surprises me most is that it isn't used. String a few hammocks. Place a few chairs and tables. The place begs for a new and ambitious crew of sutlers.

Any budding or experienced blacksmiths ready to take on the task of an unused resource?

Although I didn't make it over to the smithy, I seem to recall hearing that there was someone working it this past year. A few people had hand forged vent pick/musket tools they said were made and bought from said smith working at the forge. I had wanted to get one for myself.... But distractions prevented that.

Is there anyone who can confirm this rumour?

Michael_banner.jpg

I was down there in Feb and took some good close up shots of all the equipment in the shop. I will dig them up and post them ASAP.

If I come down next time for PIP you guys got to let me forge a sword there. I will get a PC kit just for that oppertunity.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

I was down there in Feb and took some good close up shots of all the equipment in the shop. I will dig them up and post them ASAP.

If I come down next time for PIP you guys got to let me forge a sword there. I will get a PC kit just for that oppertunity.

If you come to PIP, I'm making a leather apron for the forge and joining in. Every since Mike took down his forge at the Gibbons, I've been hankering to make something.

Wasabi was running the forge at FTPFPIP last year. I don't think he is a member here on the pub, nor is he a Bone Island Buccaneer. He is an independent pyrate/craftsman who is very knowledgeable in the GoaP. I am sure you can contact him through Harry, or ask Harry "Master Hairbone" here on the pub if you have any forge related questions.

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.