Renaissance Festival

HanaRead

I went to the Renaissance Festival in Deerfield Beach, in South Florida yesterday. It be real fun. Only, I didn't know there be pirates in the medieval times. there be loads of other pirates roaming the bazaar. did anyone else go to this fest and be there anyone that knows whether or not pirates existed back then?

annebonny2tz2.jpg

"Life's pretty good. And why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all."

Pirates have existed as long a sea travel has existed. There are records of piracy from as long ago as ancient Egypt. The Renaissance can cover a broad time period, from about the 14th through 17th centuries. There were several famous Elizabethan era (which is smack in the middle of the Renaissance) pirates including Sir Francis Drake, Sir Walter Raleigh, Sir John Hawkins, Sir Humphrey Gilbert and Sir Richard Grenville.

The Golden Age of Piracy (which s probably what you're thinking of, as that's what most people think of when they consider pirates) can be broadly defined from the late seventeenth to the early eighteenth centuries, so the popular conception of pirates would have started at the tail end of the Renaissance according to the era I mentioned above. (I'll leave the discussion for why the popular conception of pirates is severely tainted by Hollywood to someone else. :lol: ) One of the more renowned books written on the topic was actually written near the end of the Renaissance: The Buccaneers of America by Exquemelin. Your local library probably has a copy of it; it's quite interesting reading.

(This topic should probably be moved to Twill.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg