I got my skeleton!

Matusalem

Got my skeleton in the mail yesterday! Lucky for me, work was closed because of snow, so I went down in my basement shop and worked on this project.

Do forgive me from going astray from reenactment topics, but I am putting together what I hope to be is a highly realistic skeleton pirate costume, not so much in the vein of POTC1, but to be more along the theme of Washington Irving's tale of the Headless Horseman, but instead as pirate. I have been thinking of creating a Headless Pirate of Nyack as an answer to the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow. Just in case you didn't know, Nyack is the town directly across the Hudson river from Sleepy Hollow NY. I plan on making the skull as part of the costume but fully articulating and removable. I'd like to get the head to spin 360º with an electric motor (sorta like the sene in the Excorcist).

This will generally be used for local parades.

I bought a plastic skeleton from ebay for $85 which includes shipping. Thing's a little on the heavy side. This may not be the final skull because this one here is so-so. I also bought a cheap blow-molded torso to make as more anatomically correct for a person to wear.

SK2.jpg

SK1.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg

That is a very cool idea! KUDOS Mat! For my birhtday my sister and one of my cousins(who has spent the last 4 years doing our geneology from my mothers side) gave me what has been collected so far all the way back to 1066. We are direclty descendant from the Van Tassel family of Sleepy Hollow. Yes, the family was real. We are descendant from the Katrina Van Tassel that Irving knew while he lived. I was amazed to also find that we are related back to the Bradshaw line, my paternal side! :lol:

Was it Ray Stevens who wrote the satire "I'm My Own Grampa"? :lol:

Get lots of photos! I wanna see too!

Bo

Wow, Matusalem, what a great idea! I love it.

I would love to know the 'story' behind the Headless Pyrate of Nyack. Is this something you plan to do for Halloween 2009 - and if so, in what venue? On your own property, through a Halloween event or an historical site which does a living history/fall harvest fest?

I do love the area there. I have been to Sleepy Hallow and Cooperstown, but that was way back when I was in grade school. I whole area of the Hudson Valley is very romantic, but when the leaves fall and the cold winds of autumn come, that whole area gettings a little creepy!

Captain Bo, what an interesting and wonderful thing to learn! Have you ever decided to make a trip to Sleepy Hollow, NY to see the grave sites or do further research on that side of the family? If you ever have a chance - go!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Luck be with ye. Keep us posted on yer progress mate.

Colors of the Sea Nymph

PirateFlagAxesig.jpg

"Let's drink a Damn to the Halter, lads, and them that lives to wear it"--Bartholomew Roberts

"You are a devilish conscience rascal, I am a free prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world, as he who has a hundred sail of ships at sea, and an army of 100,000 men in the field; and this my conscience tells me: but there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."--Sam Bellamy