San Diego Maritime Museum makes huge mistake!

Killian

The following I got over on MySpace from a friend, and I want to share it with everyone, if this is true, it has me a little upset, and will be sending an email to the San Diego Maritime Museum protesting this decision.

"The San Diego Maritime Museum is dropping pirates from the program and removing the pirate exhibit because they believe that this "piracy craze" is a "dying fad and they want to be ahead of the game". Is that short-sighted or what? Of course, Disney must not know what is going on. They just spent many millions to renovate rides and parts of their attractions on this "dying craze".

People in pirate costumes will not be welcomed there. Why? Because there are some there who just hate the whole pirate thing saying that pirates were nothing but rapists and pillagers and evil people. But they have no problem with the Minnesota Vikings, SDSU Aztecs, and, my favorite, the USD Conquistadors. Whuh?

The saddest part of this is that more people will lose their jobs and the kids who come to play pirate will be sorely disappointed and not come back. They may even be made to feel like they are doing something bad and that is totally inappropriate. And I will also spread the word far and wide that the SDMM is NOT a place for kids anymore. Go there if you want to learn some maritime history but stay away if you want to play and have fun.

I am dropping the SDMM from my friends list and taking out all links from my personal website. They do not deserve my support anymore. They never supported me anyway and made things very difficult. So sad for the kids!

Mister Mac"

If you wish to send the SDMM an email protesting this decision you can do so at info@sdmaritime.org.

There's a big difference between Disneyland and a maritime museum. Public interest in pirates is on the wane again. It's always been cyclical. Everyone looks upon that as a bad thing. I've been playing pirate for 25 years and have seen the comings and goings of pirate pop culture during that time. Do I care? No. Does it affect my piratical play and performance? No. Does it make me see fewer Jack Sparrow impersonators at pirate events? Yes and thank god! I'm looking forward to a return to normalcy, frankly.

By the way: Mel Fisher's Museum in KW got rid of their pirate exhibit two years ago. Guess they didn't know what they were doing either. No one even noticed.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Ha!

While I believe that "The Pirate Thing" has reached its current apex, I think that it absolutely makes no sense for a freakin maritime museum to ditch it. It "should" be in their permanent exhibition area anyway.

Do they really think that a 1914 Harbor tug packs people in? Does Pixar have a tug boat movie in the works?

While I am a WW2 buff myself, I can't see explaining to the wife (let alone the kids) that we are going to see an exhibit about WW2 Pacific Theatre Photography (The War Through Steichen's Eyes).

Now, if attendance is waining and nobody is coming to see the exhibit, then I can understand them wanting to make room for something else...

That being said, I find it hard to believe that the paying public would rather see:

The Age of Steam exhibit incorporates many

features of the Ferryboat Berkeley. She was part

of the technological revolution of steam power,

which enabled the world's commerce to be transacted

on precise timetables and schedules, unlike sailing

ships that were affected by wind and weather. Because

of steam power, goods and people could now arrive in

a particular place at a predictable time, maximizing

efficiency in a world where, increasingly, every minute

mattered. Actual steam engines are exhibited alongside

historic photographs to tell this story. 

Than pirate stuff....

I can't imagine this convesation happening...

DAD: Do you want to go to the San Diego M M son?

SON: That would be great! I heard that have some great photographs of historical steam engines that allowed goods to arrive at a predictable time and maximizing efficiency!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

There's a big difference between Disneyland and a maritime museum. Public interest in pirates is on the wane again. It's always been cyclical. Everyone looks upon that as a bad thing. I've been playing pirate for 25 years and have seen the comings and goings of pirate pop culture during that time. Do I care? No. Does it affect my piratical play and performance? No. Does it make me see fewer Jack Sparrow impersonators at pirate events? Yes and thank god! I'm looking forward to a return to normalcy, frankly.

By the way: Mel Fisher's Museum in KW got rid of their pirate exhibit two years ago. Guess they didn't know what they were doing either. No one even noticed.

-- Hurricane

I agree with you to a point, particularly the Sparrow guys, but I would think that a maritime Museum would want to educate all facets of the maritime world. At some times and in some places, Pirates made a great impact on the maritime community....give us some small corner with a display of our villainous heroes.

That trend makes my personal pirate collection that more dear to me.

"Live Long and Plunder Well", says I

I certainly agree with that King's Pyrate. But most real pirate history is on not on the West Coast. There's no historical connection there like there is elsewhere along the Gulf and East Coasts and the Caribbean. So attendance rises and falls by the popularity of the subject within a pop culture context than actual interest in history.

It's a lot like doing a Wrecking Exhibit in Seattle. There were no wreckers in Seattle. They were in Key West. Instead, Seattle has an exhibit on Northwest Rock n' rollers which would have scant interest in Chicago, even as a traveling exhibit. It just depends on where you are and what is historically of value.

GOF... yeah ferries and tugs are big on the West Coast. When I lived in Seattle I poured over the history of the ferry fleets there - it's part of the culture there. So again, it's what's of interest in a maritime history context.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Most pyrate history not on the west coast? Hurricane, you should not have slept through history class my friend! :lol:

But really, history is the same regardless of where you live. By omitting periods of history they are being irresponsible at best, PC is more likely for the area. History is boring to most folks, so getting their attention to learn something they didn't already know should be made fun and interesting. I am going to do that in my classes. Regurgitating names and dates just don't get it, nevr has, never will. No, they are being completly irresponsible if this story is true. History is all inclusive, not arbitrary to the personal convictions of a board of directors.

Where you are at should make no difference. King Tut in Arizona???

Bo

What is really interesting is that SDMM is looking to fit their HMS Rose replica with guns so they can do gun battles with their other tallship, the Californian.

Let's not play pirate, let's play war. same thing, different name.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

The Monterey Maritime Museum recently added a section for Hippolyte de Bouchard. Even invited Tales of the Seven Seas to promote the opening. So pirates as part of naval history isn't forgotten everywhere...

And originally, the Rose was to be kitted out as a pirate ship so they could do pirate sails - guess they put the kibosh on that plan.

RHJMap.jpg

I could care less what the San Diego Maritime people choose to do. :lol:

I was into pirates long before I even knew about the Star of India.

I am in total agreance with Hurricane on this subject.

In fact another site I visit, some of the guys who were all gung-ho on being Jack Sparrow impersonators have decided to go onto a more personal presentation of themselves instead of movie character. HOORAY!!!!!!

Sure I admit to having some cute pirate shoes, and some tops, and some great material from sewing stores has been a boon to the cause - courtsey of POTC craze.

The craze comes and goes with the times. A couple of years or so, it will be back. Do I care? Nope.

Now off to spruce up my garb for the Pirates Dinner Theater event tomorrow for Pirates of Treasure Cove, in Buena Park, CA. :lol:

:lol:

Eye recently joined the Maritime Museum as a volunteer rather than a pirate to learn seamanship.. while on the Star of India,

the two weekends I've been, there were 'Pirate' birthday parties on board. The kids were dressed up to kill! AURRRggg :huh:

I heard of the turnin the cheek to Pirates a while back along with some of the plans they have.. The curio store there is full of Piratey goodies..

They would indeed be doing a dis-service to the public in taking the fun away! I guess we were lucky to board the HMS Surprise in garb and have the ship to ourselve last Saturday nite to sword fight.. That will probably never happen again :rolleyes::huh:

Aye Killian..Have fun at the Pirate Dinner theater !

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

:huh: ......My Gawd Laddies and Lasses.......We all grew up on Pyrate stories.........Peter Pan, Treasure Island.Robinson Crusoe,Shipwrecked...The List Goes on and on and on.......It's sad some folks don't remember the important role Pyracy played in defeating the Spanish Armada,The American Revolution, The Battle of New Orleans, The reason for our modern Marine Corps....etc,etc,etc.......I too will be glad to see the JDepp's gone....But really...He is a Quintisential Pyrate Type.......They are a part of all our history, and Huzzah for us, Thems what will carry on the first person history lessons to an unschooled lot, so's they can learn,touch,feel,smell, and breath Pyracy. Maybe feel the wind in their hair,smell the salt breeze,and face the hardships through our stories and tales....We are charged to keep the mystique goin'. I've met many that have that talent and desire....They're tales live within us, and I feel will never die, lest we let em....As long as we're crazy enough ta teach it, the populace will be lucky enough to learn it. It's up to us all ta make it worth learnin'...... :huh: ...........Iron Hand
galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

:huh: ......My Gawd Laddies and Lasses.......We all grew up on Pyrate stories.........Peter Pan, Treasure Island.Robinson Crusoe,Shipwrecked...The List Goes on and on and on.......It's sad some folks don't remember the important role Pyracy played in defeating the Spanish Armada,The American Revolution, The Battle of New Orleans, The reason for our modern Marine Corps....etc,etc,etc.......I too will be glad to see the JDepp's gone....But really...He is a Quintisential Pyrate Type.......They are a part of all our history, and Huzzah for us, Thems what will carry on the first person history lessons to an unschooled lot, so's they can learn,touch,feel,smell, and breath Pyracy. Maybe feel the wind in their hair,smell the salt breeze,and face the hardships through our stories and tales....We are charged to keep the mystique goin'. I've met many that have that talent and desire....They're tales live within us, and I feel will never die, lest we let em....As long as we're crazy enough ta teach it, the populace will be lucky enough to learn it. It's up to us all ta make it worth learnin'...... :huh: ...........Iron Hand

HUZZAH! Well spoke indeed. :huh:

Bo