Justacorp pattern help needed.

MorganTyre

Ahoy all! It's a new year and time to get back to the kit. As a quick refresher, here's a photo of me from last year's ren faire. This is obviously day two as evidensed by my absent shoes and stockings. So far I'm sporting a fairly universal linen shirt (with a little later style collar), slops from flyingcanoetraders.com (my only purchased piece), and a wool/linen lined sailors short jacket from Kass. I'm wanting to come up with a Justacorps to wear over everything but I want to stay somewhat consistent with the time period and I think my pants and shirt collar (a taller collar than the short stand collar) are probably late for Kass's 1680 justacorp pattern. Any suggestions? Note, I am not comfortable enough with my sewing to try to go by a historical tailor's pattern. If the reconstructing history pattern would work I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

RenFaire121.jpg

Ropework_Header.jpg

I'd strongly recommend Kass's Justacorps pattern as well. I am currently working on my second one... My first was meant to be more for "fun" wear...

The one I am working on now is being targetted for some serious early colonial use (1670s to 1680s) at a "judged" event (I forget the proper term for this.. Judged isn't it., but my brain isn't fully working today).

Either way, it is one of the easier Reconstructing History patterns, as long as you don't have trouble with curved armscyes (something I struggled with the first time or two I did it, but have since gotten much better at).

Edit: - And then my coffee kicked in and I remember... "juried" event was the term I was looking for... :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

Buy Kass' pattern. Hell, buy two of them!

:lol:

If you have to, make a new shirt.

:huh:

Hehe, no chance in hell of that. At most I'll re-make the collar and that's only if I absolutely have to. That's my only 100% hand-stitched (and tiny stitches at that), linen shirt. It was my first real project and took me an eon. It's also the singlemost comfortable piece of clothing I own. My biggest concern are the pants. I may end up having to make a new set of slops. Most of the earlier stuff I've seen seem to have a closer cut leg. I suspect these are french/indian war era (considering the source) and so are way too late.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I am seriously leaning towards Kass's pattern as my experience with her short jacket was a good one. Still, I'm leaning towards a slightly later style (after looking over the evolution of the design on gentlemenoffortune.com) as long as I have an overall consistency in my era of clothing (though the color scheme, wear and tear, and fit may be inconsistent) Does anyone have any good pictures of the reconstructing pattern from different angles? The photograph of the finished product on the website is from one angle only.

Ropework_Header.jpg