Pirate-Core Presentation in Chicago

Bilgemunky

For immediate release:

Gerard Heidgerken of Bilgemunky.com and Bilgemunky Radio will be delivering a multi-media presentation at the Chicago History Museum on Saturday, February 23rd as part of the 2008 Chicago Maritime Festival. The presentation is titled "Pirate-Core: Sea Shanties in the 21st Century", and will cover the evolution and current state of this contemporary spin on the the traditional sea shanty.

Gerard is one of many presenters at the 2008 Chicago Maritime Festival. Tickets to attend the festival are $10 (free for kids 12 and under) and may be purchased online or at the door. The festival is open from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The exact time for "Pirate-Core: Sea Shanties in the 21st Century" is not yet scheduled.

For more information, please visit www.chicagomaritimefestival.org

Official seminar description:

Pirate-Core: Sea Chanties in the 21st Century with Gerard Heidgerken

As a musical genre, the sea chantey has gone largely unchanged since the age of sail. But where most maritime artists have chosen to embrace and preserve the rich heritage of this music, others have opted to take their fascination with the sea into surprising new directions. This session will explore the development and current state of Pirate-Core, a relatively young yet incredibly diverse musical genre that blends the traditional sea chantey with such contemporary styles as rock, rap, punk, metal, and more.

Gerard Heidgerken is the host of Bilgemunky Radio, a weekly online show featuring pirate-themed music from around the world. He comes from a long line of sailors, and served a six-year stint in the U.S. Navy aboard the U.S. Enterprise. His love of sea chanties began with Schooner Fare, having first heard them when growing up in Maine.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Very good, mate. Lets see $10 admission plus $250 for plane ticket plus $125 for hotel...

Nope, I'm afraid I'll have to miss this one. Knock em dead, says I.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...