18th Century Block Print Neckerchief

I have been looking for the right Neckerchief for some time, and I had found it a while back, but, as the dollar/euro exchange rate sucks, I figured I would save some money and pick it up in person, instead of paying their hefty 20€ ($28) shipping charge.

This neckerchief comes from the Le Musée de l'Impression sur Etoffes or the Museum of Printed Textiles in Mulhouse, France. They have a pretty interesting collection of stuff, and is worth the stop if you are in the area.

I happened to be in the area last weekend, as my wife (aka the "Warden") has family in Switzerland, and we were going there to spend the weekend. Mulhouse was on the way, so we stopped by.

Unfortunately, the museum was closed, BUT, the shop was open, and this is what I got.

cdi.jpg

From their website

With its exceptional iconography, this cotton cloth printed in India, probably at the beginning of the 18th century, indicates the increasing exchanges between Europe and Asia during the 17th century. This cloth is a panorama featuring a western ship berthed along the quays of an Indian warehouse. Unusual in such circumstances, the presence of gondolas suggest a probable Venetian influence. Many European engravings were used as models. This capacity for adaptation along with a deep understanding of the harmony of colours and elegant graphics underpinned the success of the indiennes. This cotton fabric is one of the finest examples.

The price is pretty steep at 41€ ($57) but probably not bad considering it is what it is.

Here is a link to their SHOP

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Greg,

That is a great neckerchief!!!!

All I ever find are solid or checked... Any prints I find are too small, like handkerchief size...

If I found that, I'd hope they had two of them and hoped I could afford both.

Awesome find!!!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Very nice, GoF! B)

This is a reproduction of an actual print?

Heck, if so... goes to show you the wide variety of items available to the growing world at the time. Not as small and narrow in merchandise as we all thought. :)

I'm bouncing with glee, GoF! I'm utterly fascinated with findings such as these.

Would that print really be used as a neckkerchief? Or for somethin' else? Curious here, cause it was toss all belief I was told in Rev War groups out of the water with such proof.

Diversity in attire! I LOVE IT!!!

~Lady B

:unsure:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Lady B

Well it looks to be block printed. They are done in India for the museum. I have to say that the lady at the museum didn't speak english, I didn't speak French, so we communicated in German... which we were both equally bad at :unsure:

Neckerchief or ?

I believe that it is a neckerchief as the pattern is "square" which limit its use to something that is about 1 meter square. Also, the background is more khaki than the picture from the museum shop.

The museum calls it a "scarf", but I have not run across that term in 17th/18th century documents.

For me though, its just too perfect. A copy of a period block print neckerchief with a nautical motif....

I must be dreamin'!

The only thing that i am going to do is re-hem it. Currently, its machine stitched around the edge. But then again, I am anal.

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Oh I think it is most beautiful. What a nice neckerchief! I have been collecting old silk scarves and the ones I use for piratin' are the ones with paisley prints. But one with ships would be a 'find' indeed. Wow it is beautiful!!!!!

ooooh look at this one on ebay...kinda nice...

ebay webby

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg