A Lady's things

michaelsbagley

Very wicked, Kate.

Aye, I take with me to events what I think I may need. Most of the time I actually use three-fourths of my stuff - sewing items, cooking items, writing items.

But, depending upon what you will do, you may or may not use what you bring.

I have heard and even seen some images of women wearing breeches. Some wore them under a petticoat.

Hard to say really what to recommend. It highly depends upon who you are portraying.

And I'll agree with what everyone has said thus far. :::points above:::

Not sure what other items would be unisex and piratey. :unsure:

Most of my stuff that is not piratey is Rev War era and very much a Gentlewoman's stuff.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^lovely pics

for those of us not playing the grand lady and or doubling as a lad when the fighting gets fun, errrrr heavy, is there a way to make accesories that will handle both personas?

If you can the best thing is to keep it simple... the more accessories, the more stuff you need to drag along... the bigger vehicle you need... trust me...keep it simple. :unsure:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Kate,

You may want to consider other items related to your faith.

Other than the bible, you may want to consider a period rosary...(depending on your faith, of course).

I do have such an item for sale. I can email you a photo of it if you were to PM me. Thank you.

I have one, Miss Cheeky, but thank you for the offer. A lovely lapis and silver one. B)

Banner.jpg

Not sure what other meaning silver had.

I know in the Bible, gold stood for "Deity", silver stood for "Death" and brass stood for "resurrection" or "rebirth". At least it did in the old Testiment. Hence why you will see me wearing more silver and brass. ;)

Simple? :::Looks at Sterling oddly::: I'll only carry upon my person what I deem necessary (sword, pistol, coinage, and attire). Other than that, everything else remains at the camp (or on ship if I had one), and that would be A LOT of stuff! :lol:

~Lady B

:blink:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Sorry only know what Sterling stands for... :blink:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Actually it stands for "adhering to the highest standards."... like the best clothes, the best weapons, the best crew, the best mistress...

Crewe of the Archangel

Went to the Royal Ontario Museum today...great section with lots of goodies from the period...

1.) Tea caddy with paper quill work

2.) Toothpick box with combined toothpick/ear cleaner

3.) Portait Miniature-enamel painted on copper.

4.) Etui- Container of tools for needlework and personal needs. Tweezers, scissors, folding ruler, knife, and ivory writing tablet (for use with a pencil and it wipes off)

All of these were dated 1700's. :)

2336305810_862de5cbcd.jpg

Banner.jpg

Items of affection were also something a lady would have.

As Kate noted, a portait miniature-enamel painted on copper. I have seen them also painted on ivory and porcelain. I would love to have one made up...but the cost is a bit much.

I am also looking into death rings of the time. This would be a wonderful keep-sake item for a man or woman during the late 17th century/early 18th century too.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Lovely items! Was that first quarter 1700s? If so, fantastic!

This particular set was dated 1750's, but there was a second set (in which the photo did not turn out very well), dated 1690's. They were nearly identical, very similar in style and design. The second set, however, did not include the folding ruler.

It is incredibly hard to get a good photo through glass with mobs of people around. I still have to edit the rest of the photos, but I will try and post them up today or tommorrow. :)

Banner.jpg

Items of affection were also something a lady would have.

As Kate noted, a portait miniature-enamel painted on copper. I have seen them also painted on ivory and porcelain. I would love to have one made up...but the cost is a bit much.

I am also looking into death rings of the time. This would be a wonderful keep-sake item for a man or woman during the late 17th century/early 18th century too.

Items of affection? I am just curious as to what this is? Like the portrait miniatures and such?

I did get some shots of rings from the period too. Like I said, I have to edit the photos because my camera takes ENORMOUS photos so I have to shrink them down for posting on the board, but I will try and get some up later on today when I get home. Gotta drive to Ohio from Canada today, ya know. :unsure:

Banner.jpg

Items of personal worth...tokens of love...that sort of thing.

During one's life I am sure that there could be several, but I have not done enough reseach into such items as of yet. I'm still going over reseach on death and funeral practices of the time.

I know that protraits (miniatures) were popular. Yet, jewlery was often used for such things. I've even see rings of the time period (late 17th Century/early 18th century) with painted portraits on them.

Let us know what you find out today Kate. Should be very interesting!

Member of "The Forsaken"

2338463571_98a2a017b9.jpg

Another toilet/travelling service from the early 1700's. On the little back ledge part is a silver tray and writing set with a bell in the middle.

From left to right: Hairbrush, wisk, scent bottle, eyebrush (in the little cup thing), and a funnel.

Banner.jpg

2339312820_9375c2093f.jpg

Another Etui set, though the photo didn't turn out as well. Top: Table clock, silver book cover.

middle: pocket compass, watch, child's thimble case.

Bottom: Mirror, scissors, case, ear cleaner/bodkin, Ivory writing tablet.

The dates on the plaque were 1680-1700.

Banner.jpg

Wow! What a collection, Kate.

I think the most impressive is the travel case (personal items). Finding a complete kit must be very difficult...especially for collectors of this time period.

I looked in obtaining one for the late 1880s when we do our Wild West events...but found most of them sold off items separtely, making very difficult to find a complete kit.

Just think where these items were and what stories they could tell!

What was the date on the Travel Kit?

Member of "The Forsaken"

What was the date on the Travel Kit?

Well being me....I forgot to take a photo of the plaque next to it, but Michael remembers it being in the late 1700's. According to some other websites that I have seen drawings of such kits on, they are very similar for a couple hundred years. That kit is kinda what I am looking to have Michael help me do in the not too distant future....so I have been doing a good deal of looking into them. :)

Banner.jpg

How Sweet of Michael to make you one.

Perhaps a lovely 'hidden' compartment would also be on the list!

I have seen such 'Kits' with hidden compartment in them. This would be perfect to hide money, ID or a love note or two in it B)

Desks of this time period and older did have something in the same fashion, such as a puzzle drawer, that only the owner knew of.

False bottoms were most comman, but it's all up to the craftsman and his skill.

Member of "The Forsaken"