Silkies on the Kalmar Nykle

Silkie McDonough

I am posting from the Grand Saloon of the Kalmar Nykel. Crew Quarters. As i sit here I am looking at about 30 bottles of different hot sauces. lol ...they collect it! Across from me there are 3 people, 1 reading and two working on splices. There are shanty's playing quietly from Daryl's computer. To my left is an assortment of desserts left from tonights shanty sing ...and the fudge smells soooooog good!

Classes are progressing and I need to study more. Todays class was mostly review. We have a midterm in two weeks I need to spend next Saturday studying.

This evening there was a shanty sing in the sail loft. Had a grand time. Loved the singing and learning some shanties...although some are clearly NOT PC. I'll deal. I met a man at the sing that looked remarkably like my father when he was in his early 60's! Same hair color, same hairline, same ears and nose ...and his eyes ...it was like looking into my fathers eyes! Weird in some way since dad just passed in August 07'.

Tomorrow I will be doing maintenance on ship parts. Scraping, sanding, varnishing, painting. Wednesday the main mast goes back up ...wish I could come to help and see it raised but my work schedule doesn't allow it ...I wish they were raising it on Thursday, THAT I could work out. Oh well ...there is always the bowsprit and the Mizzenmast ...and next year.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is always the bowsprit and the Mizzenmast ...and next year.

That...is a lot of work! (photos from 10/07 )

KN6.jpg

KN7.jpg

I hope you are enjoying it well, it sounds like an opportunity of a lifetime! As for me, I have considered it carefully,and realized the sheer sacrifice in personal time and the 2½ hour drive (times 2) would have been rough. Do tell us of your exploits! You are now the closest thing of a seaman...er, seawoman this board has. Cheers :rolleyes:

SHIP2-1.jpg

Oh there be others who sail replica vessels.

Silkie... LUCKY lass!

I do envy ye. She's a fine vessel t' volunteer upon. Definitely the image one gets in their head of what a pirate ship looks like. :lol:

Keep th' stories comin', lass! And hopefully some images of ye onboard?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...

Mid-term test today. I think I will get a passing "grade" but I still don't know all I need to. Studying this past week helped immensely ...guess I should have tried to study sooner. lol

We ran through a "Boat Check". This check is done every 30 minuets. It is a focus on prevention of accidents and disasters. It is a long list. B)

Today for the first time we got to raise a sail. We set and doused the Fore course. It was tough ...much tougher than we thought it would be. It didn't help that the wind was blowing the wrong way! B) The amount of friction produced by the sail being pushed against the mast is incredible! I can't wait until we are underway and working the rigging the way it is meant to run.

I'll let you know how I did on the test next week.

:::bouncing up and down, clapping::: Oooo, sounds incredibly exciting, silkie! LOVE hearing these updates! Keep 'em comin', m'dear. B) And if ever ya get the chance for pictures... Would love to see 'em.

But it is ever so much fun to set the sails, isn't it?

~Lady B

B)

Mid-term test today. I think I will get a passing "grade" but I still don't know all I need to. Studying this past week helped immensely ...guess I should have tried to study sooner. lol

We ran through a "Boat Check". This check is done every 30 minuets. It is a focus on prevention of accidents and disasters. It is a long list. B)

Today for the first time we got to raise a sail. We set and doused the Fore course. It was tough ...much tougher than we thought it would be. It didn't help that the wind was blowing the wrong way! B) The amount of friction produced by the sail being pushed against the mast is incredible! I can't wait until we are underway and working the rigging the way it is meant to run.

I'll let you know how I did on the test next week.

I, for one, am certain ye shall do fine! You should be damn proud of all ye are learning... I know I'm proud of you!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Thank you both. I'm proud of me until I realize how out of shape I am. :ph34r:

They do have a two week training class for those who want to learn. They let you stay on the ship at the time. ....for you teacher types.

:::applauds to Silkie:::

Oh, you are wicked, Silkie. :ph34r: A two week class sounds like fun!

::le sigh; glancing around::: Terrible being a landlocked pirate.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

I woke with a migraine and the drive down to Wilmington was done in some serious fog. I was a little late for class.

I got a 74% on the mid-term. So I didn't fail. :ph34r: The final will be better.

We reviewed our homework and asked many questions. Set and doused the sail in the pouring rain. Learned about steering the ship with the whip-staff. Worked on knots again. Heaved lines for about an hour ...my arm hurts! LOLSaw them put up the mizzen mast and add the standing rigging ...also int he pouring rain.

Got to see any number of assorted types of foul weather gear. :D

Another migraine this AM but made it to class ...15 minuets late.

Practiced knots again. I wanted to take the knot test but we ran out of time so I will have to take it in two weeks.

We Set & Doused & set the tack on the sail today. Much better today with blue sky's and a breeze blowing from the behind the sail ...found myself very excited about the prospect of sailing!

Then we learned about fire extinguishers and how to use them. We got to put out fires properly. Controlled propane fires with aerated water to simulate chemical tank. It was completely controlled but it was good to learn how much the extinguishers weighed and the proper way to use them.

Finally we got to clean the ship. LOL ...being the last crew for cleaning we got the nastiest jobs. Clean the grease filter in the galley etc. ;)

Debriefing and announcements and the class ended.

This evening was the monthly social. They had a chart auction (last years charts) and a knot expert doing tricks and such. Tying knots with one hand and at lightning speed. Was rather impressive

Next week we don't have class ...the week after is the last class before the final. ...I think ...have to check the schedule. B)

• 3 weeks later...

Silkie, glad you are learning all the safety stuff. I'm a big proponent of that.

Sooooo when do we get pics of Able seaman McDonough aboard? So we can all be jealous..in a good way. Seriously you go gerl! Whoo!! :ph34r:;)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Sorry this wasn't posted sooner but life has a way of intruding on my life! ...?

Beautiful weather this Saturday ...horrid allergies ...no, head cold ...no, a feking sinus infection. :lol:

We talked of life on board and what to expect.

Reviewed for the final again ...geeze I need to STUDY!

I tried to take the knot final but John has been ill and Fred was working limited times. I'm sure they will test me eventually.

We got to be passengers for a series of emergency drills. First they had a "fire emergency" followed by a "MOB" (man overboard) followed by abandon ship. Having that bloody personal flotation device (B-PFD) that is so incredibly uncomfortable for those of us who have double chins (it WILL keep my nose out of the water!), then climbing down that blasted shipboard ladder on the outside of the ship with the PFD on compounded by the fact that I am afraid of height made for a harrowing experience. Hope I never have to do that again.

I got to wear a less uncomfortable PFD while standing on the dock (my lower back in pain) in the glaring sun and use joint compound in the seams with a putty knife on the outside of the ship. Funny thing ...I really enjoyed the work and the crew I was working with!

then climbing down that blasted shipboard ladder on the outside of the ship with the PFD on compounded by the fact that I am afraid of height made for a harrowing experience. Hope I never have to do that again.

Aye but ye did it... the next time won't be so hard... damnation that is one of the best parts, especially in full kit with carbine and saber... and, get this, dragoon boots!! :lol: Good girl, damn proud of ye. NOW GO STUDY!!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Today was the final.

Passed the knot final with flying colors.

I won't know for sure until Wednesday if I passed the written final but I am pretty sure that I did well ...at least well enough to pass ...that means I can sail! :lol::lol:

I highly recommend the class to anyone who can take it, or any class like it. They offer a 10 day class in June in Lewis, DE.

Congratulations Silkie !!! :blink:

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)