Pirates of the Burning Sea MMO

withoutaname

so I played the beta for the MMO

Piartes of the Burning Sea and the game releases soon.

The game wasn't bad, my biggest complaint was well the half nekkid woman characters and the lack of accurate clothing- but the game play was fun and basically ate up 2 weeks of my life so I decided to purchase it.

Is anyone else playing? My friends are disappointed I won't play WoW. I have been, against the whole MMO thing since well, I stopped MUDDING in the 90s. But let me know if anyone is playing on the pre-boarding servers, it'd be nice to have a crew around :) someone to attack the english with.

if you aren't playing and don't know this- you can be english, spanish, french and dutch, along with pirate. And also different character types such as military, treasure hunter, pirate hunter etc.

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

What in the world would be wrong with half naked women? What is the monthly fee for playing?

it be men who be playin those characters! :lol:

I think its 15/ month.

I'll give it a go for 3 months.

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

I am playing the game now. I also played the beta for about a week. I am not going to be paying per-month to play (I bought the $10 pre-release package before I found out about the beta).

The ship on ship combat is simplistic, but fun. However, other than that, there just isn't much to the game. Not enough there to keep me interested. It also seems to heavily encourage ganking, which as a solo player that isn't my cup of tea in the least and is a big reason why I haven'y played many MMO's.

However, some people may very much enjoy the game, so to them I say, have fun!

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I am playing the game now.  I also played the beta for about a week.  I am not going to be paying per-month to play (I bought the $10 pre-release package before I found out about the beta).

The ship on ship combat is simplistic, but fun.  However, other than that, there just isn't much to the game.  Not enough there to keep me interested.  It also seems to heavily encourage ganking, which as a solo player that isn't my cup of tea in the least and is a big reason why I haven'y played many MMO's.

However, some people may very much enjoy the game, so to them I say, have fun!

that's why I have stayed away from WoW. I am not social when it comes to gaming. The beta was enjoyable for me because it was fun, but what I hear you saying is that there isn't a lot of independent gaming as it sounded like in beta?

pub_footer.jpg

The game plays just like the beta. If you played the last week of the beta, then you played the game.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I have followed the game development for "years", and I honestly just got tired of waiting...

Plus, like you guys, I HATE to pay a per month fee for a game. So I got half way through the HUGE download of the Beta and stopped.

I think that it never was going to be a historical piracy game, but just a way to cash in on the POTC /WOW thing.

Oh well.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I have followed the game development for "years", and I honestly just got tired of waiting...

Plus, like you guys, I HATE to pay a per month fee for a game. So I got half way through the HUGE download of the Beta and stopped.

I think that it never was going to be a historical piracy game, but just a way to cash in on the POTC /WOW thing.

Oh well.

GoF

I followed along dev for a bit. I have a group of work friends who play WoW- and one of their guilds was going to leave WoW for PotBS- so i went ok sure i'll play. I liked Sid Meyers it kept me and my other half arguing over who gets the computer at the desk for a couple of weeks-so why not? it's pirates, I get a ship and can blow things up. But guess what, they didn't leave WoW because the rest of my dorky work guys started playing- so here I am with this thing that isn't getting such good reviews.

BTW- if it does gain popularity, someone is likely to host it on their own personal server which means free game play.

pub_footer.jpg

I will say that one appealing aspect is that you can literally construct/do anything in this Burning Sea world. There are allegedly countless player created items, ships, places, etc. The economy is player driven, and sounds nicely complex.

So it is not out of the realm of possibilities that some of us here at the pub could form a crew there, and create the only historically accurate crew & ships in the game. We could "reenact virtually", lol.

Would be fun to wander down the Port Royal streets in thrum caps, and sensible shoes while surrounded by all the half nekkid, bucket-booted fantasy pirates fighting over treasure maps. :ph34r:

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I will say that one appealing aspect is that you can literally construct/do anything in this Burning Sea world. There are allegedly countless player created items, ships, places, etc. The economy is player driven, and sounds nicely complex.

So it is not out of the realm of possibilities that some of us here at the pub could form a crew there, and create the only historically accurate crew & ships in the game. We could "reenact virtually", lol.

Would be fun to wander down the Port Royal streets in thrum caps, and sensible shoes while surrounded by all the half nekkid, bucket-booted fantasy pirates fighting over treasure maps. :ph34r:

that would be way more fun! Anyone who is playing interested?

pub_footer.jpg

They are sending me my copy to review for the magazine. I will let you all know how it goes.

I am playing a pirate on Rackham and a Freetrader (I only played a few times, I think on Bonny). The pirate is currently stuck at level 10 because I don't have time to play due to a new obsession of facebook- however I am March Harbour and her name is Brianna Townshend.

That goes for anyone else playing, let me know where you are playing that way we can maybe establish a slightly more period group of economy.

pub_footer.jpg

They are sending me my copy to review for the magazine. I will let you all know how it goes.

I am playing a pirate on Rackham and a Freetrader (I only played a few times, I think on Bonny). The pirate is currently stuck at level 10 because I don't have time to play due to a new obsession of facebook- however I am March Harbour and her name is Brianna Townshend.

That goes for anyone else playing, let me know where you are playing that way we can maybe establish a slightly more period group of economy.

Sounds good. If I like it I am sure I will play it often. I tend to game more then I should.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

A friend of mine brought over his copy cuz there is a 14-day trial for a friend. He knows I likes pirates. My hubby plays WOW and DOD. We are currently sharing one computer till we can gets another. I hope to try out the game soon.....My friend is in Rackham sector. Said Blackbeard is too popular.

Mad Woman Cheryl

By Odin's mighty spear, I hereby snap and go berzerk!!!"

I'm trying to decide if I want to invest my time and money into this game. Other than it not being historically accurate, is it any good?

my review "ehhhh" it is ok, a lot of bugs still, although I have not played since full release. It is a big time killer, and mindless but slightly interesting enough to stay awake into late hours of the night.

pub_footer.jpg

I have been playing on Rackham. Still getting the hang of it. Seem to be quite an easy game. Sometimes its a bit buggy on the login. Seems fun. I am Captain Slim Matty on there. If you see me be sure to shout !

thatworks.shop

Well I finished my review last night for the magazine. I like the game. I grew up on "pirates" for sega when I was little and I want every pirate game to be just like that. Sadly nothing compares to the old great.

The Ship to ship combat is where I had the most fun. Sadly I didnt get enough time to mess around with the economy. It seems like that could be the best part of the game and hardly got to mess with it. I think the endless options for customizing your avatar and ship is great. I got to make a character that looked darn close to me in my garb.

All in all its a good game. Few things that I think they could have added to make it better, but its fun. I will still be playing i for at least another month. Maybe I can do an update review on the website after I get into it more.

What is you favorite part of the game ?

thatworks.shop

I've been playing for a couple of weeks now, still finding my way around. So far I've just been running missions, toying around with sea battles, etc. It's a fun game, but doesn't really hold my interest like I'd hoped. Probably due to disappointing lack of roleplay. I've tried Blackbeard and Bonny...I heard that Bonny is supposed to be the unofficial RP server, has anyone seen anything to support or detract from that?

And is it just me, or are there very few decent female avatar faces? :huh:

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel