Food in Colonial & Federal America

Red Maria

The above titled book Just came into the library. There are some nice photos of cooking utensils and containers (going back to RHJ's inquiry)

There are chapter on foodstuffs, eating habits , food preperation and concepts of diet & nutrition. Each chapter is broken down into sections, sometimes regional sometimes by nationality influence or foodstuff.

It covers a period between 1567-1825. It is a wide range of time but they do indicate which foodstuff etc is in use during which period.

Also just in The New Encyclopedia of Southern Culture v.7 Foodways. Lots of intersting historically facts relating food and food customs. It may give an idea what Blackbeard would have eaten when he lived in Bath, S.C.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

That's Bath North Carolina, mate. On the Pamlico River; a lovely town if I say so meself.

Bath, South Carolina is in Aiken County, Northeast of Augusta, Georgia; just to clarify.

Watch your step around us North Carolina Pyrates. We're territorial. B)

-Aedon

Me mum named me Aedon.

Me mates call me Lucky.

Me enemies call me a bastard.

And anyone in a position of authority calls me

"that lucky bastard Aedon."

Sorry for the mistake. I realized it when I got home last night and looked it up. My bad. :ph34r:

But the book (New Encyclopdeia of Southern Culture v.7 Foodways) does mention the Carolinas as a specific regional cusine in the south. Going from when it was one colony then when it spilt into two.

My bad again the bit about food in the Carolinas is in Food in Colonial & Federal America pg 174-176

geez I'm batting 0 today!

Edited by Red Maria

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency