The Great Lose Weight Thread

LongTom

Despite some serious backsliding in the last few months, and after several weeks of recent holiday gastrointestinal excess, I've managed to end 2007 some twelve pounds lighter than I began it. However, that means I didn't reach my goals for 2007. I'm ready to get back to healthy eating and exercise; my body is actually telling me it doesn't want any more sweets, which is a novel experience for me.

Who wants to sign the articles for this year?

:blink:

I'll sign on, but I'm NOT going to tie my New Year's Resolution to posting here/doing exercise. Some things look good on paper, but in hindsight are just plain bad ideas.

And I'm not going to make it a resolution. Just an attempt to eat better, exercise more often. Actually, just the exercise part is what I need to do most. My usual fare isn't all that unhealthy. Practically every day last year I ate a bowl of whole grain cereal for breakfast. And most of my day time snackage was an apple or banana.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I'm down, mate. I'll sign in me own blood.

I've got weight from me cancer treatments that needs to go bye bye, soon.

I'm (pre-illness) 160lbs, I've got some 40 to go to get there after the bloody treatment. I'll not set a numerical goal, but I'm on the wagon hands down.

-Aedon

Me mum named me Aedon.

Me mates call me Lucky.

Me enemies call me a bastard.

And anyone in a position of authority calls me

"that lucky bastard Aedon."

Oh bugger! Gotta slim myself back into that lace ballgown in just over two weeks!

Looks like I'll be back on the 3F weight-loss plan -- Fish, fruit, & feet (i.e. walking and dancing my ass off! Literally!)

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

I'll sign on, but I'm NOT going to tie my New Year's Resolution to posting here/doing exercise. Some things look good on paper, but in hindsight are just plain bad ideas.

I'm curious, John, what made that a bad idea?

Also, what works for you to stay motivated? (The question is open to anybody.)

For me, what didn't work was a little complicated. I signed up on this thread, and promised not to post without doing a workout of various types (either weights or walking). For a while there, that was the perfect motivator for me. Shortly thereafter I got a new job, the commute to which always satisfied one of the promises (walking). That was a bit of an incentive to cheat on the weights ("hey, I did just walk a mile and a half, and bike 5 miles today...") Still, things were going along great...then my body apparently adjusted to the new routine, and I stopped making progress. It's hard to remain committed to a routine that isn't producing any apparent results. It would be awfully nice to know exactly how much effort is required to continue moving forward.

For now, I'm going to re-commit to doing three full weight workouts each week, regardless of the walking and biking to work. Hopefully that will get things moving again.

Tom, I'd say knowin' how far ye've come should provide motivation t' continue.

Everyone plateaus; so, make sure ye enjoy the routine ye hav chosen. If ye don't enjoy the exercise, try somethin' different.

I'm goin' t' stick t' my running program, fer now.

Yep - I was at a plateau for awhile, then lost a bit of weight. Made it through the holidays without gaining any (which, considering all the parties I ended up going to was a BIG accomplishment.) Now I'm back on the path to losing weight - I'm halfway to my goal. I'm looking to be at my goal weight for my 45th birthday, so wish me luck!

RHJMap.jpg

I know I put on a few pounds during the holidays (snacking on yummy treats and barely working out...ugh). This year I'm cutting back on that (til the holidays...then moderation), and am exercising whenever I have a moment to do so. Not forcing myself, but aiming to do things I enjoy that have the added bonus of burning calories.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Two hours of dancing tonight. And two hours last night.

And I was particularly virtuous at the pub beforehand, ordering the grilled salmon with spinach salad, instead of the fish & chips.

Hoping to fit into that bloody ballgown next week!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

I don't chime in here very often, but I figured that last year on this date I weighed 148. This morning I stepped upon the scale and saw 123!

I need another plan of action now...not just to stay on this road, but to maintain...no more 9 pm meals, no more skipping breakfast (which is a huge no-no in my book) and lastly. Keep weight lifting.

Now that I've lost the weight I still have to keep everything toned!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• 1 month later...

A while back I mentioned some jeans I bought as an incentive to lose weight. They were meant to be my goal weight pants.

Well, I tried them on over the weekend and they are now a bit too big. I need to wash them a couple of times in hot water - hopefully they will shrink enough so I can get some use out of them.

Eighteen pounds down, thirteen to go.

RHJMap.jpg

Well, this is a first. I got yelled at by my doctor. Dr. Lady is concerned that I have dropped too much weight too quickly. ?!??

As of August of 2007, I was tipping the scales at 148 pounds. That’s a lot of weight for a small-framed person such as myself. Yet, this isn’t the heaviest weight I’ve been. In high school in my sophomore year I tipped the scales at 165 pounds.

I did a check up about one week ago regarding a health issue that occurred in late January. After taking a my blood pressure and listening to my heart…she asked me to step on the scale. To my amazement it read 118 pounds …and that’s with clothes!

Needless to say loosing 30 pounds in six months doesn’t seem like a lot, but Dr. Lady now is questioning my eating habits.

I don’t have food issues! I LOVE FOOD. I just can’t win!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I lost about four thousand pounds in the last three weeks. (Rotten bastards lifted my car.)

On topic: my wife and I are working out together on a schedule now. It helps both of us get off our butts and down to the workout even when we don't feel like it.