ANYONE WITHIN 500 MILES . . .

Blackbead

Anyone within 500 miles of Weatherford, Texas (about 20 miles west of Fort Worth) desperately needs to call Sarah Focht (call her Sarah) at 817-372-9241 and ask her about meeting her to see the "house full of pirate stuff." I was there yesterday and spent as much as I had in the "pirate account" on replica flintlocks, daggers, maritime items (I picked up a working bo'sun's whistle), and decorative pieces galore. What's still there is everything from an assegai to Wehrmacht prints from WWII. The man that owned the house had an extremely varied taste and interests and was a real character. I found the assegai in a secret room "behind ze bookcase" in the master bedroom and right next to it was a replica of an Imperial German Navy flag dfrom WWI. There were cutlasses and a glass-top table made from a ship's wheel ($500 - the stuff ain't cheap; at least not yet!) and a lamp with a built-in table that featured miniature, removable belaying pins. There was a cutaway of a man-o-war and mugs that were etched with every different type of ship there was with a descriptive paragraph about them on the other side. It's worth it to go to the house just to stand in this guy's study that is decorated to look like the captain's quarters of a sailing ship, complete with bowed-out window and a view that stretches to the horizon (the house is built on a ridge.) I personally want to go backand buy the set of candleholders that are decorated with hippocampi but I need to get some more $$ first! His book collection covered everything from the American Civil War to naval warfare in the 1700's to medieval japan to joke books going back to the 50's. But the big draw is all of the nautical items - paintings of all sizes of ships in full sail, ship's lanterns, statues of ships, etc. The guy also collected eagle items and there were at least a dozen eagle statues and as many paintings of eagles. Finally, if you want to create a Greek revival garden, this is the place to buy the statuary for it. You have GOT to see this place! As I said, if you are interested in anything remotely connected to the items I've previously mentioned (did I mention the mermaids and faerie folk statues?) then it is worth your while to get there! Tell Sarah that Blackbead sent you - who knows, I may get a statue as a commission! :blink:

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."