Another teport on PIP

darkRose

Pirates In Paradise

Or

10 days of Pillage and Plunder in Key West

Part 1

By Pierre Rose2003

A Faire of the Rose earlier this year decided to attend the Pirates in Paradise Festival in Key West Florida. Little did we know what was in store for us.

Leaving Chicago on Saturday Nov. 29th we drove 1600 miles arriving in Key West Monday Morning at 9:30 am… No time to rest set up for the Monday cruise ship trade on Mallory Square. The First view of Mallory Square was truly unbelievable,with the calm aqua –blue waters if the Gulf of Mexico and Christmas Tree Island in the distance were breathtaking…It was almost difficult to see where the sea and sky joined. Warm breezes off the waters were unbelievable especially for the first week of December.

Almost as soon as we finished setting up our goods we had customers…. The first sale was a pair of pyrate britches to JERRY. This gentleman was part of Jack Sparrow’s crew in POTC. He was the short bald crew member…. Speaking of…*this part was written by a woman of course! *…”It was truly heaven to sit just soaking in the view. Feet up on the nearest palm tree with a cocktail in hand. And then to see ‘the” Jack Sparrow staggering my way made it almost a dream. There was a short moment of watching him saunter over where time stood still…right before drawing a large crowd asking, “is it really him?”

This went on for most of the afternoon. We spent the afternoon making new friends and selling goods to Pyrate Crews and tourists alike…. We had to take a break for the local craftsmen and entertainers to use the square but were able to open up again at 7:00 that evening…. Why open at 7:00 at night…. Just wait…that evening was the DVD release party for Pirates of the Caribbean right there 200 Ft from our booth…. Would you like to see a party….come to a Disney DVD release party!!! Cast members and entertainers were there….Fireworks and a sea battle between the HMS Bounty (yes the one from the movie) and a local Pyrate schooner the Wolf made you feel as though you were part of the movie. This was a kickoff to the largest DVD sales in history…wow….

at 1:00 we finally shut down and headed back to the hotel…but the party was still going strong.

Tuesday began slowly…and due to some misunderstanding almost got hauled off to the pokey…but discretion was the better part of valor…. But we made the best of it…sitting at Pepes open-air bar on the square. The bartender made us feel very welcome feeding Sheila (yes our little green wench) free drinks and providing me with one of my favorite concoctions.the Ciperaina (the Brazilian national drink). Some new friends and customers that we had dressed completely the day before came by and we sat for several hours…getting quite happy. Tuesday we got our copy of the dvd at blockbuster and had our new friends sign it…. And the T-shirt!

That night we went to the place that was to become base camp for the rest of the week The Schooner Warf Bar. Step off your barstool and take a few steps and you are at the docks where the tall ships are berthed…The Western Union, the America (yes that one), the Compass Rose and the Wolf….

We were invited to share a table with a pyrate couple from Orlando, Mike and Roxanna…. Mike is a well-known artist /sclpturer.and lead singer for the Rusty Cutlasses (Disney people might know who they are as they work the park). Funny thing about this was that Mike is good friends with Debs cousin Gary Powell who is now the head of Disney Imagineering….

The highlight of Tuesday…. Was the Grand Entrance of our new friend Stynky Tudor…pyrate extrodinaire? A very fine graphic artist and animator…he designed the new flag for A Faire of the Rose and is doing more for us…. Deb feels she made a truly new friend when later that night he decided to get in the middle of our bed and jump up and down…. Also the entrance of TJ of the Nighthawk was quite a wonder to behold.she brought her whole crew down from NC… and she is a wonder in herself…. (A special note here…her father was the Mayor of Miami for awhile and if you oldsters like me can remember…in about 56-57 the Miami herald had a picture of a little blonde girl sitting on Martin Luther Kings lap. it was TJ…she has a whole number of fascinating stories to tell)

This is the end of our first two days.....there are a million more things to talk about and people to mention I hope I do not slight anyone.....it will be a couple of days and will have more.....

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

Very interesting! Sounds like it was more than fun. Now I am wishing I could have been there. :ph34r:

Ahh... anyone have more details on the DVD release party? As well as Pictures?

Huzzah!

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

There are a great number of Pictures that I know of...at least 1000 just have to yet be posted...There are now pictures on The Pirates of the Coast website and soon on A Faire of the Rose. Others abound but not sure where they will be posted.

I worked in our booth most of the release party so cannot fill you in on that but I am sure Nigel or someone else can.

darkRose

<br />

I would like to thank everyone from A Faire of the Rose. I purchased some quality pirate garb from these guys and gals during Pirates in Paradise. I highly recommend their products for use in period costumes. Did I mention they're really nice too?! :)

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Wonderful they are, friendly, and their work is top notch. Even did a bit o' repair work for Nigel's kit in Key West.

Damn fine bunch o' lads and lasses.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Thankee all.....we want to make friends too..not just customers..

Nigel/Master Studly...check the newest member o the crew??????

El Pirata....come on down...we share our rum...and do what we kin fer ye...

darkRose ;)

<br />

Congrats Rogue's Pierre!!!! Welcome aboard!!! Huzzah! or as us folks in the South say; YYYYYYEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAH! Would ye' be attending the Georgia Renfest next year?

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Sounds like I will have to be makin' plans for next year's PiP. :lol:

I've heard a tad about GARF. & may be goin' there.. sometime. Meetin' up with a couple gents.. who have talked me into it. Can't wait.

So.. off I be... lookin' for the pix of the PiP '03. :)

Huzzah!

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!