What this?

Jack Roberts

Merry Christmas everyone! Well I was sifting through the Costumers Manifesto

and came across this picture.

18_1720.jpg

Now look closely at the sides of the stockings, what is line and the diamond thingy? Is that a seam of some sort? Just happened to notice it and wanted to see the experts have to say.

Those my dear, would be clocked stockings.

In the most basic sense clocking is the decoration (embroidered or made with purl stitches) in the area on the side of the stocking where the heel gusset connects. They were a sign of wealth and no commonly seen on the common :lol:

Mara Riley has a good page on stockings in the 18th C. Not specifically GAoP but one of the items that doesn't under go a dramatic change between 17-19th Centuries.

http://www.marariley.net/knitting/stocking.htm

Consider that your holiday present ;)

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Amanjiria,

'Clocking' a stocking means embroidering the ankle of the stocking where a 'gusset'/wedge has been added to give it shape. Here are a few examples from the Textile Museum in Barcelona - these are an example 18th century pale pink silk stockings with delicate, fine metal clocks.

Nice detailed example...

stockings1.jpg

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Oi Jack, I have a nice pair from Williamsburg and several more photos of originals... I'll bring em to RF4 for you to look at...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Turned ankle? Need a compression bandage?

Or we could sick Misson on him to remove the offending appendage... :ph34r:

More to back on topic though, if Sterling is kind enough to post about the clocked stocking in Williamsburg, I would be very interested in knowing the fibre content... (Wool or cotton? something else?)

Michael_banner.jpg

Oi Jack, I have a nice pair from Williamsburg and several more photos of originals... I'll bring em to RF4 for you to look at...

I'm curious, are those faux clocks, and just on the outside ankle? Or are they the real mccoys and/or clocked on both sides?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Please do. I haven't paid much attention to Williamsburg ever since I stopped doing RevWar. I do remember they had a very nice bookstore there at the main hq. But I had a lot of fun back in that town, back in the day. Someone should convince them to do a 1720s themed weekend.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 3 weeks later...