It's Snowing

Hmmm... here in the Bay Area, we just get to see snow in the distance, on top of the local mountains. Although last year, we got plenty in the hills as well - it all depends. Winters here mostly mean rain (and during some years, lots of flooding) and wind. And in San Francisco and the Peninsula, because we are surrounded by water, the temps drop down considerably at night. It may be in the 50's during the day, but it will drop to the 20's at night.

And before you scoff that the 20's isn't so cold, keep in mind that the homes here aren't insulated for those kinds of temps. Having a fire AND the furnace going and wearing warm clothes inside is pretty standard.

RHJMap.jpg

After 45 years in the cold, rain, snow, sleet and gloom of night (Seattle) I can sympathize. I had to laugh this morning because my wife caught me bitching that it was going to be 61 tomorrow here on the Space Coast. I has to laugh too... guess I'm finally going native here in the southern climes.

Stay warm!

I do miss Peppermint Schnapps and Hot Chocolate though...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I attended my A-school on Treasure Island back in 1984 for 8 weeks from late Jan. thru Feb. and early March. Glad I was issued a Pea-coat! I was lucky enough to be there for Chinese New Year festivities and it was just as cold in Chinatown as it was here at home at that time! I think that 20 degrees is the cut-off point... anything 20 and below is just friggin too cold no matter where you are!

Bo

here in the Bay Area, we just get to see snow in the distance, on top of the local mountains.

That's the costal range..... I live up in the higher mountains..... where people look up and think.... look at all the pretty snow covered mountains......

and I'm shouveling it outta the driveway.......

We're kinda lucky where I live, in that we do get snow, but it's usually just enought to be decorative for a few days, then it's gone. However, every now and again we get a zinger freezing storm. The last time that happened the temps dropped off the temperature gage, so I know it was at least below 0, the one microscopic place on our well pump that wasn't insulated froze and burst, so we were without water, other than from the creek, for four days, and both engines in our cars froze, so we had to put heat lamps under the hoods for a couple of hours before getting to work. NOT FUN.

Even as I write this, Chain Shot is on a northern Oregon truck run, and had to put snow chains on his tractor/trailor. Which means he crawls along at 15-20 mph all the way to Bend, OR — normally an eight hour round trip from GP, which has now tripled. Which means he probably won't make it home tonight. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Awwwww Ransom.. we'll keep you company :lol: we'lll just pick on Jacky and Roberts all night :lol:

Hope has has a nice safe trip

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

The weather's not too bad here as of late. Hit a mild cold snap (lows in the 30's, highs in the 50's), but the temps will go back up later in the week. Sounds like central FL might be cold and rainy once again next week, hopefully for Christmas.

I'll be freezing my glutes off out west for the holiday in Denver.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Thanks Cat, and JT. I don't keep night-owl hours, or I would hang around and tease with you both. :lol: Actually, I hung out in PR last night and had a lot of fun, but was in bed with a good book and a few cats by 9 o'clock. Sorry I missed you all.

Chain Shot is heading home, but driving on four inches of packed snow, and it's still snowing where he is, so he's still crawling along at 20 mph with chains on. Has yet to get over Crater Lake pass, which is around 5K feet, so keep your fingers crossed. It's especially hard, as his trailer is now empty, so no weight on the back to help hold him on the road.

Here in GP today — rain.....again. :angry:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Be there snow on Long Island currently? Any predicted for next week?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Pick on Jacky, says you. Ye'll have t' keep later hours, ye light-weight fur ball.

* sputter *

Who ye callin fur ball..? :lol:

WOT!!!! :o ... :lol:

now listen here ya lilly livered, scurvy ......oooh!! grrrr!!!

hair ball....... hmph!!!!!

WOT!!!! :o ... :o

now listen here ya lilly livered, scurvy ......oooh!! grrrr!!!

hair ball....... hmph!!!!!

<_< Yea got to remember, Cat, that JT is a dog person. He has a bit of trouble understanding cats. :o

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Up late and celebratin by meself. Snow is falling and the woods around the house is deathly still. If it weren't for mass consumption of rum, I would go fer a stroll through the woods like I used to before gettin older an havin a family to look after.

Huzzah! I know what you mean mate! In fact, the weekend after my birthday I had some gentlemen friends over for an afternoon of old fashioned wargaming. Before the first turn was through I had cracked open a bottle of Cruzan Black Strap. Sometime about four hours or so later, after giving the order for my side to splice the main brace, the other guy on my side and I had finished off the bottle. He tells me he had at most 1/3 of it.

This is where things get a little hazy... at some point, we conceded defeat. My friends departed. With farewells said, I went to the head to cough some of the rum back up... next thing I remember it was dark, and I was naked in bed. I can only hope the missus took advantage of me in my drunken condition...

:o;);):lol:

The good thing about rum hangovers, they aren't that bad. I was mostly fully functional the next day. Yeah, I didn't feel better than say 65%, but if I had been drinking that much of anything else I would've felt like crap. Hell, I didn't even experience the "end over end bed" thing. I just passed out, and woke up naked. Wooo!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Now is the time to consider moving to no snow areas. :o

Nice to look at from a distance, nice to play in for a day, but that's it for me!

Amen Rumba Rue. :lol:

I lived with that stuff far too long. I enjoy it now when I see it during quick trips in the winter time.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...