Pyrates Magazine

John_Young

The last issue that has come out was the Jan/Feb 2007 issue (sent out in June 2007). I finally decided that rather than trying to catch up, we are going to skip the March through Sept. 07 issues. The next issue (about to come out) will be the Nov/Dec 2007 issue. We will move everyone's expiration date up by 4 issues, so everyone will get all the issues they have paid for.

Yr humble editor for the Sweet Trade,

--Jamaica Rose

An equitable solution to a lag problem! Huzzah says I! B)

Drinks all around! ;)

-Greydog

;)

P.S. Now, I didn't say I was buyin, just said drinks all around, just look around this place.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Now who's going to do a Pirate Captain centerfold?  I can think of many of fine pirate captains to use for models. B)

Careful what ye wish for luv. . . . heheheh . . . . hey, I'm dressed as a Pyrate Santa on the Pyrates Way Winter cover. . .does that count?

Yo ho ho, Santa Pirate Baby!

A Visit From Whitebeard

`Twas the night afore Christmas, and down below decks - all the

prisoners was sleepin'- with chains `round their necks.

A Mutineer was hung from the yardarm with care - so's all o' the

others was sure to beware.

The Crew was all nestled below in their bunks- they slept just like

babies but smelled just like skunks.

The mate with his cutlass, and me with me gun - had just settled in

for a long drink o' rum

When over the decks there arose such a clammer – I reached for me

pistol, and pulled back the hammer.

Away to the porthole I flew in a wink – I opened it wide, and threw

up me drink.

The moon to the west was the probable source – of the naggin'

suspicion that we was off course.

When what to me matey's one eye should appear – but eight flyin'

goats and an old buccaneer.

I went for me spyglass when first they appeared – and I know in a

minute it must be WHITEBEARD.

More rapid than seagulls they flew toward me quarters – and he lashed

them, and cursed them, and barked out these orders:

"Now, Long jack! Now, Silver!, Now Dutchman and Flint! – On Barnacle,

and Bluster! On Cable and Quint.

To the top o' mains'le, to the top o' the mast! Now cast of that

line! No, not that one! OH, BLAST"

As the ships that are pitchin' and driven by blizzard – when met with

an obstacle, ram through it's gizzard.

So into the crow's nest his vessel did crash – with a blasphemous

curse, and the crack of a lash.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard him aloft – as he climbed down the

rigging all stealthy and soft.

His eye, how it festered! His features, how salty! – He tripped and

he fell, cause his vision was faulty.

His ratty white hair was tied back with a scarf – and beard on his

chin was all stained with barf.

The stump of his knee was held up by a peg – and how well I remember –

`twas I took his leg!

He had a long, ragged scar, and stomach gigantic – that roiled when

he walked like the northern Atlantic.

He was ugly and fat – a right scurvy old elf – so I stayed where I

was and threw up on myself.

For the look in his eye and tilt of his head – soon gave me to know

that we soon might be dead.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to the hold and he stole all

the silver, and bagged up the gold.

And locking the treasure up inside a chest – went back up the rigging

into the crow's nest.

He boarded his craft, to his team gave a yell – and away they all

flew just like bats out of hell!

Bu I heard him proclaim, like a ghost from a far, -

"I'll be back again next year so be ready --Harrr Harrrrrrr".

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Eye for one already subscribe to Pirates Magazine ..Still waiting for my first issue////

And to NQG for the last few years.... Hi Jamacia..

Pyrates Way sounds like fun and Eye will get a subscription from them soon.. As A Pirate hobbiest I like the idea of getting my information from many sources.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I write for Pirates Magazine.

And I enjoy your writings...

I like Pirates Magazine and I have no issues with anything POTC at all...I know Dave Nichols and he's a cool dude. He's taken his Jack to the hospitals in the northwest and has raised close to 700,000 for the kids with cancer. Perhaps that would be of more interest to many rather than the ways to copy Jack(although I loved the article)...

It's not the end of the world that the magazine was late due to whatever the reason, who cares... :ph34r:

kttcsignature.jpg

It's not the end of the world that the magazine was late due to whatever the reason, who cares... 

Perhaps not the end of the world, but it remains a very big deal to advertisers that paid big bucks for an ad that had no value after a certain point - i.e. festival advertisements that weren't seen until after the event had passed.

Hopefully Pirates Magazine has made it right with those advertisers.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Bingo!

Yeah I could deal with the "Ren faire pirate" advertisements offering leather garb and really cheesy stuff.

I could deal with 1 blurb about potc.

I could deal with "pirate romance" stories (although it would be cheaper just to buy a Harlequin book).

But their repeated lateness is just unforgivable to a subscriber.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

• 4 weeks later...

As an assistant editor of Pirates Magazine I can tell you all that we are still the worlds premiere pirate magazine.

We tried for several issues to get away from the POTC topic but when Dave Nichols from Easy Rider expressed that he wanted to do a Jack write up we couldn’t say no. I mean come on. Dave Nichols an editor of Easy Rider wanted to write for us.

I have seen certain people try to say that we are copying. Don't forget that Pirates Magazine was the first full color high quality Mag on the market. All you have to do is open our magazine and you can see that the additions we made were of the highest taste. We use the best photographers out there. Yes we have added a column by the lovely Sacrlett Harlott and plan on working with her more and more. We try to offer the best magazine out there for you all to enjoy.

We are sorry that there have been delays. I assure you that is in the past. It was one issue that got stalled and delayed due to many unfortunate factors. We have a new team working on the magazine now to assure that won't happen again. The reason we have the magazine at shows awhile before subscribers do is that we drive 4 hours to pick up a few boxes at the printer hot off the press. We do that so that we can give everyone a sneak peak of the new rag.

From day one we have refused to take cheap shots at any other magazine and we stick by that.

Thank you all for making Pirate Magazine the highest distributed pirates magazine out there by far!

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

I need to add that everyone here at Pirates Magazine is a huge fan of No Quarter Given and of Jamaica Rose. We treasure being able to working with her as much as we do and wish we worked with her more.

thatworks.shop

I hate to say it but I've still got a problem with my subscription. After a long wait and two e-mails of questions I finally recieved the Autumn 2007 issue. The problem is that I sent in my suscription request for the issue before that. (the one with the oreintal cover).

I will say this though, my e-mails were answered very promptly , either the same day or the very next. The answer were always polite and apologitic for the inconvience. So I do feel like they are at least trying to get things organized. We'll have to see.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

• 2 weeks later...

The premiere Pirate mag? Of course when the forerunner and truly superior NQG are having problems and the rest are put out the monkeys with a printing press in their parent's basement...

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

NQG used to have some great stuff. I was tremendously disappointed to see a two page interview with Kendra about a reality show that was so terrible they never even showed who won because it was cancelled. And as a bonus I get a full page about Tom Sawyer Island being turned into a Pirate Island. Thrilling stuff it is. Downright riveting. :lol:

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I need to add that everyone here at Pirates Magazine is a huge fan of No Quarter Given and of Jamaica Rose. We treasure being able to working with her as much as we do and wish we worked with her more.

NQG will always be the best. They were the first and they will always be around.

We try our best to put out a piratical magazine that has a little bit for everyone. For those of you that were not impressed with the latest issue I ask you to hold your opinions until you rest your eyes on this next issue. This will be the first issue that I am officially involved with and I think this next issue will be the best by far. We are working hard to bring great historical content with a mix of what’s going on with today’s re-enactors and festivals.

Last issue was a catch up issue with the festivals we have done recently. Look for just a touch of that in the future. Having me onboard with the magazine ties in a lot of re-enactors that have networked with Kerry and I over the years.

Cheers!

p.s. PM sent Mr. Young.

thatworks.shop

• 3 weeks later...
:ph34r: I just received my new Pyrates Way Winter 2007 - 2008 edition. So check your mail boxes. :ph34r: Sounds like I'll try me out a new magazine too. :ph34r: COOL :ph34r:

Glad to hear you got it mate. . . with the mail system the way it is, one never knows when the magazine will arrive once mailed. A subscriber in Alabama got his the very next day after mailing and my brother in Maryland (the next state below us) just got his. . . almost three weeks after the mailing. . .yet both magazines were mailed the same day!

Spring is heading to press at the end of the month so we can make it for PyrateCon.

The Black Fox said: ""my brother in Maryland (the next state below us) just got his. . . almost three weeks after the mailing. . .""

Maybe it took someone at his post office three weeks to read it :lol:

half shell's got me on that. . .it does seem a popular read.

NQG will always be the best. They were the first and they will always be around.

We try our best to put out a piratical magazine that has a little bit for everyone. For those of you that were not impressed with the latest issue I ask you to hold your opinions until you rest your eyes on this next issue. This will be the first issue that I am officially involved with and I think this next issue will be the best by far. We are working hard to bring great historical content with a mix of what’s going on with today’s re-enactors and festivals.

Last issue was a catch up issue with the festivals we have done recently. Look for just a touch of that in the future. Having me onboard with the magazine ties in a lot of re-enactors that have networked with Kerry and I over the years.

Cheers!

p.s. PM sent Mr. Young.

You sell yourself short sir!.........You cover a wide range of topics for all types of pirate fans. Pirate Fandom is a wide varied world…..more than historical and reenactment events. There are those who live the true historical life, those what just like to play and them what wants to read anything piratical. You folks do a great job, providing an informative, easy to read, colorful publication and I, for one, am happy you do what you do.

Live Long and Plunder Well and keep the issues coming!

Joe

• 1 month later...

odd, I just be scoutin' out the Pirate Magazine home page online just now I be, when I comes across a link on the bottom o' the page. Now being a curious bloke as I be I click on that thar link an' begin to read about 'Urban Pirates' and their current quest for a ship name, a crew, an' a captain.

now har be the odd part: They be a pirate ship in search of a crew and their page state that all crew members will be "subject to criminal background checks"

Aye, t'would be odd indeed should we end up with an 'Honest' crew o' cutthroats an' pirates aboard a pirate ship!!!!

;)

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

odd, I just be scoutin' out the Pirate Magazine home page online just now I be, when I comes across a link on the bottom o' the page. Now being a curious bloke as I be I click on that thar link an' begin to read about 'Urban Pirates' and their current quest for a ship name, a crew, an' a captain.

now har be the odd part: They be a pirate ship in search of a crew and their page state that all crew members will be "subject to criminal background checks"

Aye, t'would be odd indeed should we end up with an 'Honest' crew o' cutthroats an' pirates aboard a pirate ship!!!!

:o

HAHA. Good point indeed. :lol:

thatworks.shop