Barbossa's outfit

LadyBarbossa

As some of ye know I'm making Barbossa's outfit. Trying to make it EXACTLY like that in the film. It's a slow process with all the research and constant gazing at the pictures I have, etc.

The only major trouble I am having is with the Waistcoat.

Can anyone shed some light out there on it?

I'll see if I can scan in the best picture I have of it. Otherwise, if anyone has the AWE Calender, look at June with the centerfold of Barbossa (guaranteed not nude racy) and the detail is spectacular, gives you detail of the waistcoat and pattern.

Can't seem to figure out if it's a linen or silk or cotton or a mixture.

Better yet, WHERE to obtain this exact fabric.

I've made a guess that since Barbossa is the Lord of the Caspian Sea, it's a Indian Cotton or linen of sorts that is illegal in Europe and some other areas of the world.

I'm guessing that the lining to his frock coat and the waistcoat are of a linen/silk or a linen.

So, I'm wanting to ask some of ye out there (Kass and whoever else) on your opinion and advice.

Plus, expecially if ANYONE knows where to get that fabric for the waistcoat. You have NO idea how many long, long, late nights I've spent online searching for that particular fabric with that pattern. ;)

Help!

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I must say that I don't think that fabric is available outside of Disney and their suppliers.

You could perhaps send an email to Disney and the workshop of Penny Rose and ask if they will sell some of the fabric, but I strongly doubt they will. In any case, it's worth to ask. They might tell you where you can find it.

I wouldn't assume that it's an illegal fabric just because Barbossa is the lord of the Caspian sea. A lot of these fabrics are especially made for Disney, or purchased in some obscure places (remember Penny Rose on the bonus disk of DMC saying she got the material for Jack's sash from a family of artisans in India) which makes them absolutely dreadful to find. I've seen some fabrics similar (not the same, just similar) here in Belgium (which is very much in Europe) so I wouldn't write it off so easily :)

You could of course do what my friend Christoff always jokingly says: go to a Disney themepark and mug the fellow playing Barbossa for his costume :( (he keeps on joking that he wants to do that with the guy playing Jack Sparrow)

You've probably seen all of these links already, but I figured I'd put them here nonetheless in case you haven't yet.

I don't know how much they'll help in your search and recreation of the costume, but you never know if you find something in there :)

http://www.costumersguide.com/cr_potc.shtml (Barbossa is under misc and it's definitely worth looking at them, it has some exibit pics of the costume on a dress form)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/pirates_of_the_caribbean/ pirates of the caribbean fan group on flickr.

I hope that helps!

Hilde

Thanks, HildeKitten.

Aye... I've the links as well as those images - several of the same ones as people continuously sent the same ones to me.

It really is locating the fabric of the waistcoat that is the most difficult. But what kind of fabric it is makes the search far too wide. Hence, asking more knowledgeable folks who have done research on 17th and 18th c clothing a lot longer than I have.

But thank ye for the ideas and such, HildeKitten.

May give it another shot to get ahold of someone who worked on those costumes.

~Lady B

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the Costumers Guide is the first website people go to when reproducing a movie costume these days :)

Absolutely unsurprising seeing the amount of pics on there.

The thing is, the historians amongst us (and I'm not even going to pretend I am one, I'm in the fantasy pirate camp ^__^) will only be of so much help, seeing that the PotC costumes aren't historically accurate at all. They're well, costumes.

I mean: Keith Richards costume was made out of dyed curtains :)

That just proves that you'll probably find the fabric you want in a place where you'll expect it next.

(I once got the most fantastic fabric in the shape of old but still perfect draperies that were hanging in the bar underneath the indie record company where I worked).

Make sure to check stores that sell upholstery fabrics too, they often have brilliant stuff in their sofa cover fabrics department.

Aye.. I've been looking online and in stores for the waistcoat fabric. Spotting some that are close, very close, but not exact. Made of more natural fibers and are replicas of antique designs. Did some research and asking on these fabrics. But no one seems to have the knowledge of the Barbossa waistcoat fabric. Pity. :ph34r: Again, I know SO many who are making or have made a Barbossa outfit and want that waistcoat fabric.

I'm taking a huge risk in my guessing with the waistcoat fabric. That it's a cotton based from the vicinity of the Indian Orient. Where Barbossa is Lord of the Caspian. A print fabric perhaps he obtain that was illegal in Europe and he smuggles or stole.

I wouldn't say the fabrics are pure farb. I've looked around... seeking and searching and found some of the costumes are pretty close to reality... despite what folks say. You have to admit, these costumers are pretty good. Professionals they are. Doing their research with so much at their fingertips.

Granted, again, some costumes like Richards' outfit is not period correct 100%... but it's not all that far fetched either.

If anyone comes across the wasitcoat fabric... I would GREATLY appreciate it to let me know, purchase it, anything and get it to me. :) That, frankly, is the ONLY thing I have left to contend with on making an exact replica of Barbossa's outfit. Everything else... is obtainable.

The coat has been placed on the backburner again cause of the new gown I'm working on.

I have to admit... gawking at Film Costumes... help you research or even give you ideas on your own outfits. :ph34r:

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Aye.. I've been looking online and in stores for the waistcoat fabric. Spotting some that are close, very close, but not exact.

Watch the bonus DVD with DMC. They fabrics were _made for Disney_. You can't buy them in stores. It's not going to happen.

Made of more natural fibers and are replicas of antique designs. Did some research and asking on these fabrics. But no one seems to have the knowledge of the Barbossa waistcoat fabric. Pity. :D

Unsurprising though, because the fabrics were made for the movies and for Disney.

Again, I know SO many who are making or have made a Barbossa outfit and want that waistcoat fabric.

I know many people that want a costume from that movie replicated, but the fabrics can't be bought, so it's settling for the next best thing or not having an outfit full stop.

I wouldn't say the fabrics are pure farb. I've looked around... seeking and searching and found some of the costumes are pretty close to reality... despite what folks say.

I'm not going to agree or disagree on that, as I'm not an expert on period garb. I am inclined to believe the experts though, as they have made their job out of history and know better than me.

If Kass and others that know their thing tell me they're not period accurate, I'm inclined to believe them :)

You have to admit, these costumers are pretty good. Professionals they are. Doing their research with so much at their fingertips.

Well they have to be really good, they're for a multimillion dollar blockbuster. In movies like that the wardrobe is far too important not to get the best you can get. And as is often, if not mostly, the case: Hollywood will take elements of what they see in history and turn them around to suit their movies. Sadly those movies aren't known for their historical accuracy.

Granted, again, some costumes like Richards' outfit is not period correct 100%... but it's not all that far fetched either.

I believe that only Governor Swann's costume is period correct, the others are all period _inspired_.

Thanks, Alyx. :) Aye, been to Alley Cat's site before... even before PotC. Knew the gal before PotC as we were both into "the Patriot" and fancied Tavington. :angry:

And saw Moongoddesses Barbossa outfit, too. Talked to her about it, too. Like everyone else, finding that exact waistcoat fabric has been a pain.

I'd hate to end there with a fabric that is almost like the waistcoat fabric after getting pretty exact with everything else so far.

Sadly those movies aren't known for their historical accuracy.

Not to be cruel but to be truthful, neither are some reenactors accurate with their attire.

We can only come close to what we know. Or even what we've been told.

Can't totally bash the Film Costumers for their huge effort.

The gold gown in the first film was pretty good. The petticoat... rather spot on really. whitework on the petticoat. The stomacher was mighty nice as it was embroidered with spangles on it.

Oh, well... I'll keep hunting and searching. Won't give up yet.

Thanks though, mates. :angry:

~Lady B

:angry:

I don't think you're being cruel, I hear a lot of complains from reenactors that are spotting non-accuracy.

I'm not a reenactor myself though :)

Good luck with the hunt!

Maybe you could start a petition amongst PotC fans for Disney to release a fabric line with all the fabrics from movies :(

ha ha ha...what cracks me up is faire goer's that go with commercial pirate prints and make bodice's and such...yelch...but that's just for the patrons...those who have been dedicated faire goers or reenactors strive to look more authentic (or have to be or their guild will cut their head off..lol). But those hello kitty skull and crossbones on a cincher makes me cringe....Yick! :lol:

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

:lol: :::CRINGE!:::

:P

I'm trying not to be a Nazi on the attire, but I don't want to be loose about it either. Hard to find that happy medium.

Aye, easy to spot the one who's making an effort and haven't the coinage for it but want to do this seriously compared to the tweens and teen look of half-arsed look. I've seem some of that look.

But anyway, back to the subject...

Good point, Hilde. I hate the idea of going with a waistcoat that is not exact. So far I can get the exact everything even if it will take me another 3 years. But it's possible and probable.

I've gawked many times at the clothing in the movies on 18th c period attire and gone hunting in books and online for the similarities. It's amazing, really. Films are more accurate in their attire than most reenactors I know (except the reenactor soldiers are more accurate, not the women where as the film soldiers are not accurate and the women are more closer to accuracy). I know I adore the whiteish petticoat of Elizabeth Swann's gold ceremony gown from Curse of the Black Pearl. I had the opportunity to see it up close and personal and I was highly amazed at the detail of the petticoat and the gown. The petticoat was a quilted linen with elaborate whitework. Gorgeous.

Worse comes to worse... I'll just become a Weaver and work towards making that exact fabric in the future.

Still haven't found it. Even went back to a local fabric store looking at more Upholstry and drapery fabrics among other fabrics. Madness I tell ye! ;)

~Lady B

;)

There's some _really_ fun pirate pirate prints available commercially, and for fantasy fairs which are well, fantasy, I don't think those are necessarily horrid :)

Of course, there is a difference between fun and pretty skull & crossbones prints etc and Hello Kitty skull prints or overexagerated kid prints.

I must honstly admit that for Elf Fantasy Fair and my Requiem LARP pirate (neither is supposed to be serious piraty stuff) I'm not averse to commercially available pirate prints.

If I were to go to a serious fair (which doesn't exist locally to me, or reacheable to me) then I wouldn't wear stuff like that of course :)

I guess that what I'm trying to say is: there's a time and place for everything if you know what I mean :huh: