A Pyrate Reception

Just wondering if anyone knows a good place to find enough stuff to outfit a party.

Bob the Swab and I got married at the PIP festival this year, and now my mom and my aunt want to throw us a party. However, neither one of them knows a Jolly Roger from a cutlass.

So...I have been given the duty of finding the items they need and reporting back. Only problem is--I have no idea of where to find the stuff required.

Anyone got any ideas about some stuff with skulls and crossbones on it (like tablecloths, napkins, etc)? We have some pretty good ideas for cakes and such, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

:blink:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

You can do a google search or check out a couple of these sires.

http://ferncanyonpress.com/pirates/locker.shtml

http://www.dltk-cards.com/cards/mpiratebirthday.html

Hope that helps

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

First off congratulations to you and yours!

I wrote this before in another thread but what the heck. When my good wife and I got married five years ago we had a pirate themed wedding. We decorated the hall to look like an ol'time tavern, threw a big party and got married in the middle of it. If I could figure out how to post pictures in the gallery I could show you.

The best place to start to look for ideas is NQG's Pyrate Primer that's where we got some of our best ideas to start with. If you go to your local Goodwill and Salvation Army stores you can find all kinds of things that can fit in to such a theme plus they're very cheap so you won't have to worry about the budget of if something gets broken. If you're going to have a cake my sister made us a great one. It looked just like a treasure chest and from a little bit of a distance most people thought it was just part of the decorations. You can use those gold foiled chocolate coins and other jewlery shaped candy at your local candy store to decorate it with.

I don't know whre you live but if you have a costume rental shop near you most of the time they know where you can get any accessories you might need. We used one down here in Charleston called Theatrics Unlimited, they were very helpful. In fact the lady who makes and mends the costumes designed and made my wifes dress. You may not want to go that far but, costume shops do have a lot more than just costumes to rent or sell, the ideas alone are worth a visit.

Anyway those are a few ideas to start with and if you or someone else can help me figure out how to post the pictures you can see for yourself how it worked out for us.

Best Wishes ta ya. Longarm

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

You can do a google search or check out a couple of these sires.

http://ferncanyonpress.com/pirates/locker.shtml

http://www.dltk-cards.com/cards/mpiratebirthday.html

Hope that helps

Scupper

Thanks so much Scupper. You are always a source for inspiration. :huh:

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

Your welcome Endkaos.

For center pieces you can use boxes and costume jewelry from an I Party or store like that.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Congrats to ya Capt. WE Roberts. If you search the Shindigz site, you could combine the luau, nautical, and kids pirate theme to come up with something unique. They have lots of stuff fer proms and such (big decorations), if some $$ could be spent on that kind of stuff. It does look pretty cool.

http://www.shindigz.com/

Mad Woman Cheryl

By Odin's mighty spear, I hereby snap and go berzerk!!!"

Well, yee-ha...I mean, arrgh! Thank'ee pyrates for makin me party shoppin a bit more tolerable. I've never been called on to find party stuff before. Heh, heh. I've already come up with a great idea for the pyrate party invitations, and I'll share it with you fine folks.

First, take a square piece of black paper, turn it sideways, so it looks like a diamond. Then, fold the corners toward the middle of the paper. Use a tiny bit of tape to secure and then either use a wax seal or hot glue a plastic coin on the outside to hold it together.

Before you seal it all up, you can use gold and/or silver gel pens to write on the black paper or you can glue a bit of torn parchment to the inside for the invitation information. For all of you perfectionists out there, you could fold up the invitation and get the exact measurements and cut out a square of parchment or construction paper to glue in the center of the black paper...but tearing is more fun.

The post office hates to read gel pens on black, so you could print out the addresses on those sticky white labels and apply them to the outside. This way, the envelope and the invitation are all in one.

These are fun to do, and the whole family can get involved. Fun, fun!

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

If your going to have kids at the reception organize a treasure hunt. Find or make a chest and fill it with some of booty you use to decorate with, anything kids might enjoy. ( temp. tattoos, stickers,flags, ect..) Hide the loot and make a map. To make it more interesting cut the mape into pieces and scatter them among the adults. It'll be up to the little hellions to coerce, bribe, or steal the pieces to get the entire map. Note: whomever gets the task of setting up the treasure hunt make sure they're around to help divide the spoils. Sometimes porch-monkeys don't get the concept of shareing the loot equally, and you don't need fights and fits breaking out at what should be a fun occassion.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

• 1 month later...

Forgot to post my outcome for my Pyrate Reception.

I found the best "parchment" looking paper and envelopes at Office Max. I printed the invitations on my computer, using the "Blackadder" font in my word processing program. I stamped a small anchor at one corner of the invitation. Then, I sealed it up, using a Celtic cross stamp and a gold "seal" sticker on the outside. I found all of those stamps and stickers at my local Hobby Lobby.

We wore our wedding costumes to the party, and everyone loved it. My mother had a table fixed up with a centerpiece basket filled with rum (tea in an old corked bottle), limes and salted pork. We also had parrot honeycomb decorations and old fishnets thrown over black tablecloths.

My mother and I tackled a fairly easy project of a PIRATE SHIP CAKE! It was so very cool. I'll try to post pics as soon as I get one. We also had a leather-like trunk filled with Hershey's nuggets and other foil-wrapped goodies to look like jewels and chunks of gold and silver.

We had black luncheon napkins and other die-cut napkins that looked like gold and silver stars. It was a fun time, and we got lots of nice things...and money. Woo-hoo!

Thanks to all of you for the links. Though I didn't get anything off of the websites, I found oodles of great ideas that I could make for much less cash!

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY! I finally got a pic of my pirate cake. Just click on my name to the left, right above the avatar picture to get a look at it.

Unfortunately, you can't see the teeny tiny Jolly Roger at the top of the tallest mast. Anyway, you can see the root beer barrels, Nestle Treasures treasure chests and a small wedding pic of me and Capt. Bob on deck. The cake was made out of chocolate fudge cake mix with dark chocolate and light chocolate frosting. If I can find some more pics from the family, I'll post them!

I've also got some great (and hillarious) pics from the reception, if I can figure out how to post them!

B)

Capt. WE Roberts

Forgot to make a note for all of you folks out there who are looking to decorate a Pirate Cake: You can use the white wedding doves that you can get pretty cheap and paint them with acrylic paint. That's what I did, since I couldn't find parrots small enough for my ship. I painted them bright colors and hot glued tiny feathers to their tails for a "parroty" look. B)

It worked great, and everyone loved the cake!

B)

Capt. WE Roberts

Thanks to all who gave me sites and good advice on the pyrate reception. We had a whole heap of fun.

Again, check out my pirate ship cake by clicking on my name just above my avatar. You can't see the pirate flag, but it's there. It was CHOCOLATE cake. Yum!

B)

Capt. WE Roberts