New shoe source...

I don't recall seeing this linked here, and if it has been, my apologies for repeat. They're calling these latchet-style shoes a closeout -- I haven't made up my own mind on it just yet. From the picture, they're clearly not straight-lasted...

I've had good dealing with Museum Replicas before, but has anyone tried these particular shoes?

MRL latchet shoes.

sig2.jpg

Hey Zeph,

Those shoes do look like they are crooked lasted (left and right lasted) and not straight lasted... But I also think they look a little off style-wise...

If you look at this...One set of shoes which are also crooked lasted, but look more correct... but a lot more pricey...

Or look at these shoes or maybe these shoes from Running Iron they look more correct and also look like the probably are actually straight lasted.

Also if you go back and do a search through the various shoe discussions in "Twill" and in "Plunder" for period pictures of shoes, you will see that the Museum Replica 17th century shoes, while they might be made decently (I've never dealt with them so I can't say), they really are just not quite "right" looking in my opinion.

On the other hand, you can't beat the price. Specially at the blowout sale price. :huh:

Michael_banner.jpg

I don't know. The squared toe of the MR shoes looks good. And they seem to be buff side out. Can't really tell if they are directional or straight lasted and can't see the stitching on the heel though. Compared with the Sara Juniper 17th C shoes, the latchets shouldn't attach in the way that they do (in an L vs in a straight line from the side opening) & they should probably have a single lacing rather than 2.

That said, for the price they are actually cheaper than buying a new pair of desert boots and converting them to faux latchets. Now if they only came in small enough sizes for the darned kids!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I've already talked myself out of these particular shoes -- I'll set the $50 aside toward a better, more correct set (and/or that Captain Jack hat).

Since the Museum Replica shoes are off a bit, I might as well get by with my converted dress shoes which are, really, off about the same way.

But if anyone does go for these, please let us know what you think...

sig2.jpg

Zeph,

I hope my post hasn't discouraged you. I think I may have come off harsher than I intended. If that is the case, please do accept my appoligies.

The Museum Replica shoes are one of the best options available to pirate re-enactors I have seen yet with regards to price (okay second best on price after the shoes Mary Diamond is/was selling), and while I think they look a little off, they do look more than good enough.

But if you are determined to get something spot on, then your plan to save up a more is applaudable. :o

Cheers!

Michael_banner.jpg

Michael--

Not discouraged at all -- just saving for the more correct ones, as you rightly surmised. Well, that, and all that moving into a new house and stuff... :o

I actually do have a bit of discretionary funding over the next few weeks, and unless the unexpected bill comes along, it really is somewhere between shoes and hat. Or, perhaps, setting aside for shoes or hat, if said funding doesn't stretch as far as I'd like...

sig2.jpg

I think they are a fine pair!

I know I'll be havin' a link to them for members of m' crew and others I know out there wanting pirate attire.

Thank ye, Nash fo' th' link.

Period authentic to the very specific or not, anything piraty helps really.

Better than wearing Dockers with skull and crossbones printed on shoes, with dad's shirt and some modern vest with a blazer and some cheesy hat. Trust me, I've seen it.

Again, thanks fo' th' link. It's a step closer to something a little more realistic.

~Lady B

:o

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...