Contraband Days

capnwilliam

Is anyone from the list planning to attend Contraband Days? Has anyone from the list been there in past years?

We were thinking about going, and wondering if anyone had any comments about the event.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Contraband Days commemorates Jean Lafitte and his Baratarians, and is held April 29 to May 11, with most of the real action scheduled for May 2 and 3.

It's held in Lake Charles, Louisiana: halfway between New Orleans, and Houston.

Capt. William

Sounds fun, but I'll be prepar'n me J-35 fer prowlin' the New England coast 'round then. If ye be a-goin', report back with th' stories.

Coastie04

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

alas,I too will not be makin' it-but will eagerly await any news or pictures ya mates bring back with ya.

Captain Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Contraband Days be a great festival - lots of pirates and wenches and activities. The people are friendly and it's well run. A good pirate gig to be sure!

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

First Mate Jan and I went to Contraband Days on Friday night. It was a lot of fun, but made no attempt at authenticity!

The opening gimmick is that the Mayor of the town has been a scoundrel and made the people work too hard, so Jean Lafitte and his Baratarians (anyone with a MOTOR boat who wants to participate) circles the beach while the town militia (wearing sort-of uniforms that actually date to about 1770) tries to drive them off firing 1/3 and 1/2 scale cannon and a few pistols at them.

At the appointed time, the boats land, Lafitte and his Pirate Queen come ashore, the Mayor is put on kangaroo court trial, convicted, and made to walk the plank into the drink. The town flag is hauled down and replaced with the Jolly Roger, and Lafitte declares that fun shall reigh until such time as he can be booted out of town.

The people are indeed very friendly, and the Buccaneers (yes, that's out of period, but that's what they call themselves) invited us to party with them afterward, which we did.

The people were a lot of fun! As far as wenches; well, I'm 51 and married, but what a bevy of beauties there were at the event (I can still look!) :D

All in all, it was lots of fun; but don't approach it as a "living history" event! It's a faire, not a historical reenactment.

Capt. William

:(

thanx Capt William for filling us in on the event-I live in oregon and never make it out of the area(northern half of oregon and the sw part of washington)so any info on event is appreciated.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions