Early axes

Would anyone have access to some good period woodsmans axe photos or museum peices showing some of the styles from the GAop? I want to add one of these to my tool collection. I am looking for a full size felling axe, not the boarding axes or trade axes. Any help will be appreciated, along with any sources for a fitting modern substitute. Thanx!

Bo

You might wanna check out some of Eric Sloane's books..... OK... they are very early 1800's.... but some of his stuff is earlier......

just looking in the back of Diary of an Early American Boy (Noah blake's diary (1805)) that Eric Slone added conentary and explained.... he wrote a book A Museum of Early American Tools I haven't seen the book... but if it is anything like his other books, it would be worth tracking down (inter Library Loan... kind a thing..)

OK... it's 100 years later than the GAoP.... but it might be the closest you can get.......

This is an interesting Company that makes modern and replica historical axes.

http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html

(click "products" on the left side)

The link has a pdf booklet, that you can download a booklet about Northern European Axes... that has some "light" information

But click around their site too, as its pretty cool.

I met with them at a show in Germany Last year, and they were pretty nice folks.

Good Luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I don't know what you people are doing to me. I enjoyed that pun more than I ought.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

• 2 weeks later...