And now for some real world piracy

Capn_Enigma

Pirate attacks increase worldwide

Pirate attacks worldwide jumped 14 percent in the first nine months of 2007, with the biggest increases off the poorly policed waters of Somalia and Nigeria, an international watchdog reported Tuesday.

Reported attacks in Somalia rose rapidly to 26 up from eight a year earlier, the London-based International Maritime Bureau said through its piracy reporting center in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. And some of those hijackings have turned deadly.

More here.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, my previous post about the "effectiveness" of the US (or any, for that matter) Navy is corroborated by this article on CNN.

Note in particular the sentence "Four other ships in the region remain in pirate hands, the Navy said."

Had it not been for the valor of the freighter's sailors, the Dai Hong Dan would have been the fifth.

banner.jpg

Occasionally I look at the ICC's weekly pirate attacks at http://www.icc-ccs.org/prc/piracyreport.php. This last week had 9 attacks, of which I'll post a couple of highlights:

19.10.2007: 0200 LT: Majunga harbour, Madagascar.

Four robbers boarded a sailboat. They cut the skipper's thumb and assaulted him. Then, they took hostage the skipper's wife and tried to strangle her. The skipper and his wife were injured by knives and received many wounds and fractured ribs. They stole some cash and properties and escaped.

22.10.2007: 0350 UTC: 12:29.5N-045:15E: Gulf of Aden.

While underway, a chemical tanker was pursued by seven boats with three persons in each boat. The boats approached the vessel from all directions making it extremely difficult for the vessel to manoeuvre. The closest the boats got to the vessel was 0.1 NM. The master managed to out manoeuvre five boats. The other two boats continued to follow the vessel. As the vessels, speed was greater than the boats the master assessed the situation and felt his vessel was not in any danger.

26.10.2007: 0410 LT: Nacala anchorage, Mozambique.

Robbers in two boats attempted to board a container ship at anchor. Anti-piracy crew activated fire hoses at the boat and the robbers aborted the attempt.

28.10.2007: 0216 UTC: 13:05N -050:24E, Gulf of Aden.

An undesignated distress was received from a chemical tanker underway. Thereafter, there has been no communication with the tanker. The owners and the piracy reporting centre have been unable to contact the vessel. Information from the coalition naval forces, in the vicinity, indicates that pirates have hijacked and sailed the tanker into Somali territorial waters. There are 23 crew on board the vessel.

So, long story short. Piracy is still a major problem in certain areas. Chances are, it always will be. I did read a few years ago about a company that was hired as private contractors by the U.S. to help reduce piracy in some of the world's hot spots. Haven't heard much about them recently, but their boats were fast, stable, and armed. Though not considered "privateers", they're pretty much the modern day equivalent.

Coastie :rolleyes:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Enigma, sorry to see you have such a poor view of our Navy. I thought it was particularly interesting that you failed to mention the 200 mile restricition and the fact that it was a North Korean ship, (which we have no political relationship with), that was in distress. The fact that U.S. Navy ships were en-route and arrived simultaneously with the crew's victory also slipped through youe rhetoric. The dangerous nature of the chemicals involved in many of the other cases further complicates things. These pirates are well aware of their stomping grounds and know how to avoid confrontation with naval forces. Bit this too you avoid telling.

I don't suppose you have ever served in the military, or that you do much of anything to contribute to making things better. Most people who make light of our service members are the ones who do nothing to support our country, but are the fist to complain and criticize when they don't like what is going on. Are you one of those?

If you cannot tell, I served honorably and proudly in the United States Navy. So next time you are exercising your freedom of speech, take a minute to think about those who pay for it.

Bo

next port, cutlasses, first blood.

I've heard several different accounts, which may be due to the fact that it was a NK ship or that the Navy is trying to keep a low profile or because the they finally got permission to enter the Somali area of influence. Very hard to say, but it sounds like there is much more of a story than is being reported. It is what we don't know that makes it interesting. I would like to know more about this one.

I learned a few things when I was young and seeing some of the world.

Never sleep on a navy ship without first stowing anything that could "walk away"

Never drink with merchant seamen to see who has to pay the total tab.

Semper Fi,

Apparently the U.S. Navy assistance in this case is helping in regards to North Korea and nuclear weapons:

Washington Times

November 1, 2007

Pg. 14

U.S. Navy Rescue Features In Nuke Talks

By Nicholas Kralev, Washington Times

The U.S. Navy's rescue of a North Korean vessel from pirates figured yesterday in talks between chief American negotiator Christopher R. Hill and his North Korean counterpart, who finalized plans for disabling the North's main nuclear facility.

A U.S. team was due in the reclusive state today to oversee the disabling process.

Mr. Hill, speaking to reporters in Beijing, confirmed that the nuclear negotiators had discussed an incident Tuesday in which the USS James Williams helped several North Koreans after their vessel, the Dia Hong Dan with 22 sailors and a cargo of sugar, came under pirate attack off the coast of Somalia.

Two gunmen died and three crew members were badly wounded in gunbattles as the North Korean seafarers fought off the attackers, a maritime official was quoted by wire reports as saying.

"Six gunmen were also seriously injured in Tuesday's heavy fighting," said Andrew Mwangura, head of the Mombasa, Kenya-based East African Seafarers' Assistance Program. The U.S. Navy confirmed that the wounded North Koreans had been taken on board the James Williams to be treated.

Asked about the incident in Beijing, Mr. Hill said he and North Korean chief nuclear negotiator Kim Kye-gwan had "discussed the events that took place off the coast of Somalia ... with the incident involving the attempted takeover of the North Korean vessel by Somali pirates and the intercession of the U.S. Navy vessel."

Other U.S. officials said it was standard procedure for the Navy to provide humanitarian assistance in such a situation and that the nationality of the North Korean sailors had not influenced the decision to intervene.

Nevertheless, the action appeared likely to have established good will at a critical stage in the negotiations to end Pyongyang's nuclear programs.

"The incident will have a positive impact as a result of the efforts by both the U.S. and North Korea to normalize their diplomatic ties," said an unidentified South Korean Foreign Ministry official quoted by the Yonhap news agency.

Mr. Hill said yesterday's talks in Beijing went smoothly and that the American inspection team was on its way to North Korea.

"We weren't negotiating. We were more comparing notes. We are at a phase now where we're talking a lot about nuts and bolts," Mr. Hill said, according to a transcript provided by the State Department.

"There are three facilities in Yongbyon, and there are some procedures that have been agreed on to take apart the equipment there," he said. "So we think that will begin actually this week. We've had two site surveys by some technical teams. So we know precisely what is involved in that and what some of the measures need to be."

Diplomats close to the negotiations said the heads of delegations in the six-nation talks on the North's nuclear programs were expected to meet later this month, and that the foreign ministers could meet in mid-December.

Pyongyang has promised to disable Yongbyon and declare all of its nuclear efforts and materials by the end of the year, and to begin dismantling its programs next year in exchange for political and economic incentives, including better relations with the United States.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

That is good news. You see, the point is that blaming the U.S. Navy for the problems or making un-founded accusations concerning ineffectiveness is like blaming the clerk at the gas station for the price of gas at the pumps. International policy from liberal PC pukes in the U.N. and other such inhibitors is where the problem stems from. Now that some of the restrictions are off, we will see how "ineffective" the Navy can be.

Bo

You see, the point is that blaming the U.S. Navy for the problems ...

That is exactly not the problem. If you re- read my post, you'll find that I wrote

...my previous post about the "effectiveness" of the US (or any, for that matter) Navy...

So WTF don't you just take your inferiority complex elsewhere.

banner.jpg

Yeah whatever. :lol:

Meanwhile, there seems to be a solution to another pirated vessel in the area:

U.S. Navy helps hijacked Japanese ship

Negotiations have started for the release of the Japanese tanker, anchored in Somali waters with 23 crew members from the Philippines, South Korea and Myanmar

banner.jpg

Somali pirates release third fishing boat

Somali pirates released a Taiwanese fishing vessel on Monday more than five months after it was seized, a U.S. Navy official said. It was the third such release in two days.

The pirates left the Ching Fong Hwa 168 in skiffs that took them to shore, said Cmdr. Lydia Robertson of the U.S. Fifth Fleet in Bahrain.

The ship had two Taiwanese and 12 Chinese crew members on board when it was hijacked almost 140 miles (220 kilometers) northeast of the Somali capital, Mogadishu in May.

Read more.

banner.jpg

• 1 month later...

Somali pirates threaten to kill hostages

Somali pirates who seized a Japanese tanker six weeks ago have threatened to kill the 22 crew members unless a $1 million ransom is paid, a maritime official said Monday.

The Golden Nori is carrying crew from the Philippines, South Korea and Myanmar.

"Somali pirates holding the Japanese ship are demanding $1 million," said Andrew Mwangura, head of the Kenya-based East Africa Seafarers' Assistance Program. "They are also saying we are going to kill the crew if our demands are not met."

Read more.

banner.jpg

Pirates release Japanese tanker

Pirates released a Japanese tanker and its 22 crew members off the Somali coast Wednesday and all the crew are unharmed, a U.S. Navy spokesman said.

The 6,253-ton chemical tanker Golden Nori was seized off Africa six weeks ago

The Golden Nori, carrying crew from Myanmar, the Philippines and South Korea, was seized in late October off the east coast of Somalia. One of the two South Korean crew members escaped and was rescued by a passing vessel in early November.

Read more.

banner.jpg

• 3 months later...

Pirates seize French cruise ship

PARIS, France (AP) -- Pirates seized control of a French cruise ship Friday off the coast of Somalia, France's Foreign Ministry said.

A ministry official said details about the attack were scarce, and it was not clear how many crew members were on board the ship or if there were any passengers.

The ship is in the high seas in the Gulf of Aden, off the coast of Somalia in the Indian Ocean.

More here.

banner.jpg

France talks with pirates holding yacht, sends troops

MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) -- France has made contact with pirates who hijacked a French luxury yacht off Africa's eastern coast with 30 crew members on board, the French foreign minister said Sunday.

About 10 suspected pirates stormed the 288-foot Le Ponant on Friday as it was returning, without passengers, from the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean. The pirates then guided the vessel down Somalia's eastern coast.

The hijacking comes amid a surge in piracy in the seas off the chaotic Horn of Africa nation, where a weak and impoverished government is unable to patrol its territorial waters. Pirates have seized more than two dozen ships off the country's coast in the past year, typically demanding high ransoms to free their hostages.

Read more here and here.

banner.jpg

Nice vessel...sail and all! Yahoo has the best photos. try the galleryFrench Pirates

However, today's piracy, I believe, is a bit off topic. It will be a sad say when 300 years from now when we have people re-enacting the glory al Qaeda terrorists and Taliban ...you know wondering about whether one has the right beard legnth or period correct kaffiyeh.

SHIP2-1.jpg

In those days, buccaneers /pirates were looked upon by the general population in the same way as terrorists are looked upon today. With all the torturing, disembowelling, "woolding" etc. of prisoners to make them reveal their money or valuable information, you would not expect anything less, though.

banner.jpg