Opinions on a Waistcoat

Captain Pogue

I tried to sneak this in under My Garb to keep from starting a new thread. Mr. Grave generously kicked in his 2 pence, but I was hoping to get some more opinions. I'm starting to look at waistcoats. I've decided to go with a Reconstructing History pattern, 30 Helens agree RH has some of the best patterns. Yeah, quite a few pubbers...(oh hell you know what I mean) agree too. But the question is which one would go with what I have so far, I'm not sure where I fit in GAOP. I've tried to stay closer to the late GAOP period... (Now imagine a bunch of pirates wearing khakis swing dancing and GAOP appears on the screen at the end)

Alright I miscounted, there is another question. That question is; what color would work best? I've got black pants. I've got to be careful what color I choose because I don't want to cheapen the color by combining it with black pants... and I don't want to go for the Amish Pirate look... Brown is probably out of the question, because I'll be wearing belts that I want to stand out.

I'm trying to keep the basic clothing as PC as possible.

Any and all opinions are welcome. Some maybe laughed at or mocked, but it'll only be done in the privacy of my home :blink:

Thanks everyone, don't forget to eat your limes! :lol:

519868527_616fa8ed88_b.jpg

This is what is on my right leg.

493911443_0c0b5bc65a.jpg

And these are my new bootstraps.

814047196_4739998676.jpg

I read somewhere that the Amish are actually one group you can openly make fun of on the internet. :lol:

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

It is a bit hard to tell from the photo, but, from what I can see, your complexion, hair color, and the strong reddish tones in your holster would steer me away from red. A strong complimentary color would be green, of which I would recommend a mossy green, not hunter, which is too loud for my taste. This will go very nicely with an off white shirt - oh, how convenient! It appears you already have one.

For a late GAoP RH pattern recommendation ~ there is only one that I am aware of: 1700s - 1730s waistcoats http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index...=21&q=1&p=3&r=Y

Cut less full than early GAoP waistcoats, the above waistcoat shouldn't get in the way of your holster, if you are wearing the belt and holster on top of the waistcoat. From there, you just need to decide sleeves or sleeveless.

Hope this helps!

PS - Nice holster and boot straps!

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Yeah, red and black are a classic fashion combo...

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I'd love to do red, but that is a bit over done. I like the green idea, I can't think of any other green I'm planning for the outfit... Yet Blue is one of my favorite colors. What shades of Blue were PC?

Thanks, I'm planning on a new holster in the future. It'll have more of a saddle holster look to make it a bit more period mixed with a bit of Cossack cartridge holder for a flair of the exotic, yet period. Depending if I can get some silver caps for the tops of the cartridges...

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

It is a bit hard to tell from the photo, but, from what I can see, your complexion, hair color, and the strong reddish tones in your holster would steer me away from red.

Awh.... sence when did Pyrates worry about color compatibility...... heck... they wore whatever they could get thier hands on.....

Ok... the teal wool I got..... may not be the best choice fer me next bit O' garb....... :ph34r:

It will look great for my Bosse's jumps tho........

I'm cheap.... I work with what I can get...... so blues and greys just happened my way..... but bright colors are "period".... look at the slops contract specs..... Welsh red waistcoats........

Sure it's "garrish"......

So ? ..........

Pyrate........ :ph34r:

Patrick,

Gotcha on the red waistcoat. Not so much garrish being a problem, just the red and black being commonly worn. Yeah, I'm trying to carefully piece everything together. I'm not really taking my hair or complexion in to account, my wife probably is when she gives me feed back. But I'm approaching my outfit along the same lines as Mary Diamond, placing importance on looking good instead of just cobbling it together. As they really did... Not to say that your kit doesn't look good... Still waiting for the Queer eye pirate episode for my kit... Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. B)

I'll take a closer look at the Slops Contract to pull some other colors out. I'd love to have a red waistcoat though, just not with my black pants... just a too stereotypical...

Mary,

Thanks for the pattern suggestion. Yeah, I don't want anything too bulky since I will be wearing my belts over it. My wife likes the green suggestion too.

MrSnailGrave,

Thanks I made the holster, glad you like it.

Thanks all!

Pogue...

why not find a fabric that is historically correct or darn near close to it... that has red, green, blue and gold in it? Distress it...

Or... Get two fabric - blue and green... stain a couple spots on it with red like it's blood... and some green from grass.. and some tar... not too much of all.. but a little to add some "color" and "Flavor" to it.

Then ye got's a colorful pirate's waistcoat. B)

Otherwise, when you find the fabric.. you will know.. it will jump out at ya and you just CAN'T resist it no matter what. Even if you try to reason the price and all.

~Lady B

B)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Lady Barbossa, I like where your coming from. Does anybody know a good site to find period fabrics with patterns. I really want to keep the basic clothes PC . Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.