Getting dirty or how not look brand new

My pirate kit IS clothing. I wore it yesterday at the Burning of the Gaspee commemeration in Rhode Island. My slops have powder stains. My underbelt is sweat stained and showing signs of stretching. My shirt has a stained collar and frayed cuffs. The lining of my jacket has shrunk at a different rate from the shell, so it hangs funny. I think that is the difference. A costume will always look like a costume, now matter how you artifically age it. Make it out of good wool, linen, and 100% cotton. Use real leather without waterproof finishes for belts and gear. And then treat it as would have been treated on board ship. My shirts gets washed every 3 or 4 wearings, maybe more. My jacket gets washed when I'm out in the rain. My slops, once or twice a season. My hose have worn away at the heels and are fraying at the top.

What I see is people who take the time to artificially age clothing, but then treat it like modern clothes. Shirts washed every wearing and a clean shirt each day. Jackets and coats dry cleaned. They take the time to create a costume look, but wouldn't dream of wearing the same shirt for 3 or 4 days straight. To do this right, you need to be willing to ditch many modern notions of hygene. One of the things that ruins a look for me is to see someone who has taken the time to age the kit, but when they walk past, you smell fabric softener, and antiperspirant. Above and beyond ruining the image, that kind of clothing care works against the look you are trying to get.

Trust me, a hot July camping event, 3 or 4 days in 90 degree weather, chopping wood, coking on the fire, firing and cleaning weapons, and doing some swordplay, wearing the same clothes for the entire time and you'll get a far more authentic look thatn anything you can do with coffee grounds and sandpaper.

if you wnat to look like them, you have to live like them.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I suggest wearing your kit in the rain and walking through mud wiping powder and other grime from your hands and such along the way. Pack said air dried garb into luggage, carry in the car for the remainder of the week. Then decide you need it for another event at the last moment so throw it in the dryer with a dryer sheet to freshen it a bit and get out the fold wrinkles. Once at the next event jump from the long boat and be sure to fall backwards ensuring full saturation and sand in your pockets. After taking the shore find a wench to to pillage ...but on your way to said wench be sue to fall in the sand collecting additional dirt to unknowingly drop down her bodice. After that head to the beach in the kiddy section of a water park to dig for buried treasure for finer sand. Then in order to fade the clothes a bit jump fully clothed into the chlorinated water of a public pool. Air dry once again and now you are both dirty and have had your yearly pirate bath ...worked for me.

Edited by Fionntan Murtaugh
Fionnsignturea.png?t=1252109128

I suggest wearing your kit in the rain and walking through mud wiping powder and other grime from your hands and such along the way. Pack said air dried garb into luggage, carry in the car for the remainder of the week. Then decide you need it for another event at the last moment so throw it in the dryer with a dryer sheet to freshen it a bit and get out the fold wrinkles. Once at the next event jump from the long boat and be sure to fall backwards ensuring full saturation and sand in your pockets. After taking the shore find a wench to to pillage ...but on your way to said wench be sue to fall in the sand collecting additional dirt to unknowingly drop down her bodice. After that head to the beach in the kiddy section of a water park to dig for buried treasure for finer sand. Then in order to fade the clothes a bit jump fully clothed into the chlorinated water of a public pool. Air dry once again and now you are both dirty and have had your yearly pirate bath ...worked for me.

Damnation, ye fell twice and I missed both times??? Next time remember not to fall on my blind side....

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

not to sound disgusting, but real sailors washed their clothes in stale piss.

And where exactly did they store said "stale piss" ? :D

Just a sec, I can answer this one because it's gross.

“Throughout the sailing ship era, the ships’ decks, sides, masts, yards and sails were frequently set on fire in battle and buckets of urine were used to extinguish the flames…. In close action, ships were often known to set each other alight.” (Watt, Vice-Admiral Sir James, “The burns of seafarers under oars, sail and steam”, Injury: the British Journal of Accident Surgery, Vol. 12, p. 71)

"For a long time ships all carried piss tubs in various places, which not only served the purpose indicated but also provided ‘fire points’, to use the modern term. With the ever-present risk it was essential to have water supplies handy, and using urine instead of sea water saved work: filling buckets over a ship’s side is never easy and is especially difficult when an ample supply of water is suddenly needed to douse a fire. Urine somehow acquired a reputation for being better than water for extinguishing fires… (Thrower, William Rayner, Life at Sea in the Age of Sail, p. 82)

Admittedly, Thrower is not my favorite source, but there you are.

Speaking of urine...

“The principle cause of this morbidity [in July 1690] was once more the quality of the victuals; nevertheless, the Commissioners for Victualling appointed in 1683 continued in office. The naval victuallers were also required to supply the troops, and so corrupt was the food that deaths occurred among the soldiers even on the short passage to Ireland. But as usual the beer was singled out for particular condemnation; ‘the Men chose rather to drink Salt Water or their own Urine’. [A.G Finch] The Victualling Commissioners blamed it all on lack of money.” (Keevil, John J., Medicine and the Navy 1200-1900: Volume II – 1640-1714, p. 172-3)

And don't even let me get going about what some marooning and shipwreck survivors did. :D;)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Take yer slops get em damp and go clean off yer gas or charcoal grill or make yer wife happy and clean out the oven with it!!

You'll have plenty of grime and stains!!!

I have been noticing in the many pictures of people in their garb that so often it looks too new.

(nothing against those who are out there putting stuff together, you all seem to be doing a great job)

I am just wondering how many pirates would have slops that were still white, or not stained with at least 'tar' somewhere? or patched?

Are there any of you out there who have found good ways of distressing your garb?

Anyone ever try to simulate or actually give the kit some powder burns to simulate close combat?

I would guess that a pirate would want his stuff in good repair, not run around in rags if he could help it, but unlike today where a stain will get an item discarded, I would expect, an evident repair or a stain that just won't come out, would be the norm for the time period.

So, 'how about getting dirty? ' :lol:

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Chain Shot and I have authentic black powder stains on our shirts (we've been part of the cannon crew on the Aldebaran for two years in a row, and taken part in the battle at Ojai the same), and along with dirt and scuff marks, I have wax drips on one of my boots, cause I backed into a hanging candle and it drooled down my back and right leg ( it was after-hours at Ojai, and I had changed into a pyrate T-shirt, which now has wax blobs on it). As for my coat, it has never been washed, so is collecting a nice assortment of smells and stains, as is finally getting that really lived-in look. :lol:

Oh, and also, my coat is a little too big for me, so it looks like I stole some man's coat instead of having one made my own size. I kinda like that added "story."

Edited by Ransom

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Having just spent a weekend where our group fired near a 1,000 rounds of black powder ammuntion from blunderbuss to cannon, my question certainly isn't how to get clothes dirty nor how to smell bad! :angry:

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

• 1 month later...

I have been noticing in the many pictures of people in their garb that so often it looks too new.

(nothing against those who are out there putting stuff together, you all seem to be doing a great job)

I am just wondering how many pirates would have slops that were still white, or not stained with at least 'tar' somewhere? or patched?

Are there any of you out there who have found good ways of distressing your garb?

Anyone ever try to simulate or actually give the kit some powder burns to simulate close combat?

I would guess that a pirate would want his stuff in good repair, not run around in rags if he could help it, but unlike today where a stain will get an item discarded, I would expect, an evident repair or a stain that just won't come out, would be the norm for the time period.

So, 'how about getting dirty? ' :D

I used "Quick Filler" asphalt tar filler in small amounts on my slop trousers for that i've been working in the riggn' look. I know a guy wh actually shot a live round blunderbuss at his jacket. Or the other option is just wear your gear all the time like I do, that is if you don't mid the smell after working in the garden or doing some manual labour!

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

Many who attended the last lockhouse can attest to the interesting substances left by canadian geese. A large flock had recently spent the night on our field.....so the next day...when ever you died, you got an extra funny colored stain.....a stain which doesnt wash out to easy(and doesnt smell to good either). Personaly i agree that simply wearing you kit when doing near anything messy will give it a true lived in look. Dont wash it(though i did try to scrub the goose droppings out some), and you get a natural smell too......One of the most beneficial things was the rain storm at this years blackbeards festival(and all the mud that came with it), and simply camping out and firing weapons in your gear will do wonders. Also, eating in your gear will do great to...especially is you dont have napkins......one of my best looking stains....... is from cake........

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Workin' on a new sleeved waistcoat and pondering about a bullet hole with a touch of blood somewhere around it.

Would just slightly burning the hole be a bit proper and accurate or is that just a Hollywood farb?

~Lady B

ya have a pistol...why not just take it out back...and shoot it.... :D...then show off the results

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg