ST. Augustine Pirate University

King's Pyrate

sapu_soon.jpg

Coming Soon!

ST. Augustine Pirate University is a fun FREE web site that refreshes your knowledge with a brief overview of various aspects of Pirateology.

At St. Augustine Pirate University we offer the student an opportunity to earn a free professional degree in their chosen field of piracy. Our degree programs are: Associate, Baccalaureate, and Master Degrees in Piracy, Buccaneering, Privateering, and Re-enacting. It is our hope that you enjoy your course of study while fulfilling the goal of obtaining your degree in piracy or associated careers.

We are almost up and running with our, start up, basic curriculum. Our plan is to become a repository for sharing knowledge of pirate information. We will host all areas of interest from basic history through detailed information of sail handling, navigation, modern reenacting, movies, books, and are open for content.

Of course we are not a sanctioned educational institution. We are an association of pirate enthusiasts who have established this center for pirate "Knowledge Sharing" in a format that measures your pirate knowledge and acknowledges your level, with a free diploma, as a way of peer recognition. We hope that you enjoy the process of refreshing your pirate knowledge and take pride in your accomplishment and that of your Brethren Pirates, Buccaneers, Privateers and Reenactors.

If you are a pirate enthusiast, historian, or have information you would like to share, join us and become an instructor in your area of interest.

Email: St. Augustine Pirate University

pirate_university@josephlosteen.com for questions and comments.

We will post the Site link here when we have the basic site completed.

Live Long and Plunder Well!

Joseph O’Steen

Commodore,

St. Augustine Pirate University.

pirate_university@josephlosteen.com

St. Augustine Pirate University is now open with our basic startup Curriculum. We hope you will visit us and have some fun while you brush up on your pirate knowledge, take the exam and download your free degree. We also hope that some of the you pirates will join us in sharing your knowledge with our pirate friends by becoming instructors.

pu_banner03.jpg

St. Augustine Pirate University

Learn Well and Live Long!

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Sailed thru ..nice layout. I'll stop back and spend some time.

Neet idea :rolleyes:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Ooh, sound absolutely, deliciously like fun...I will have to stop by.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Now, I appreciate this is a bit of fun, but since this IS Twill I have to ask:

What's your evidence for the answer to exam Q. 25?

(I know, I know, I'm a boring spoilsport twit, but it's something I've heard many times before without ever having seen any evidence. Since I'm keen to get to the bottom of it who better to ask than Pirate U.?)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Not to be nit-picky (why am I saying that, when, of course, I'm going to be nit-picky?)but a sword has a scabbard, a knife a sheathe. I really just wrote this so I could get to the next level in the Pub.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Now, I appreciate this is a bit of fun, but since this IS Twill I have to ask:

What's your evidence for the answer to exam Q. 25?

(I know, I know, I'm a boring spoilsport twit, but it's something I've heard many times before without ever having seen any evidence. Since I'm keen to get to the bottom of it who better to ask than Pirate U.?)

No hard evidence only a passage in John Reeve Carpenter's book "Pirates, Scourge of the Seas" 2006 Gusto Company, Barnes & Noble, Inc Publishing. page 62. "Walking the plank has become synonymous with pirate punishment of captives, but in fact it was very rare, and the only pirate who made his victims walk the plank was Major Stede Bonnet. "

Joe

Not to be nit-picky (why am I saying that, when, of course, I'm going to be nit-picky?)but a sword has a scabbard, a knife a sheathe. I really just wrote this so I could get to the next level in the Pub.

Technically you are correct.....see why we need knowledegable instructors...and editors...lol

Thanks for pointing that out.

Joe

Right-O. Well, it's not mentioned in any of the reports of Bonnet's activities from the time, and more importantly it's not mentioned at any of the trials of him or his men - even when they were listing the mean things the pirates did. Make of that what you will.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Stede Bonnet and walking the plank are also briefly mentioned by Phillip Gosse, in "The Pirate's Who's Who", but he sites no documentation---but hey, it's Gosse!

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

Interestingly, or at least to me (and probably Foxe), the first known illustration of "walking the plank" is present in the 1924 reprint of "The Pirate's Own Book", in fact, it's the first illustration in the book. I then referred to my 1837 copy, and the illustration isn't there. If you read the preface added to the 1924 reprint (Maritime Museum), it states that they added illustrations to the original from early 19th century sources. It seems odd to me that you would cave and add an engraving of what was even controversial in 1924, being "walking the death plank", to a classic 1837 pirate history. It doesn't give the original source of this illustration, but I've seen it used in several books published since 1924. I'm checking some of my early "Capt. Johnsons" now to find the original source of this illustration, which may actually have started the "walking the plank" enigma. Foxe? Any thoughts? Who cares?

Capt. William Bones

The last entry, I swear !!! I have found references to walking the plank, but all of them occur in the late 18th and early to mid 19th centuries, well out of the "Golden Age", and nowhere near Captain Bonnet's period.

Capt. William Bones

I'd be interested in the late 18thC examples BB. I know of only two genuine incidents of pirates making someone walk the plank: the Blessing in 1822 and the Vhan Fredericka in 1829.

I'm afraid I have no ideas on the early illustration, and don't even get me started on Gosse!

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

My Gosse comment was rather tongue-in-cheek. Let me get back to you on the other. Pretty hectic around here for a Sunday morning.

Capt. William Bones

Foxe,

Maybe I spoke out of turn. I believe I was referencing the often quoted and mutinous Gearge Wood, who in 1769, described walking the plank in his confessions to a priest in Newgate. I don't have the Newgate chronicles at hand, to check on this, and it probably doesn't matter. His supposed description in itself, would indicate that the practice was something out of the ordinary. Of course, any early evidence that this ocurred would be by word of mouth, but why, if the confession happened, would Wood fabricate such an ocurrence, and make the description of the act so detailed? He said this, reportedly, on the way to the gallows. There again, why would a priest fabricate such a confession?

By the way, I finally looked up your website on the subject, and see that you've used the very illustration I talked about above. As stated before, the illustration was not used in the first edition (1837) of "The Pirates Own Book". It was certainly drawn in that period, and the clothing would indicate the 1820s-30s. BB

Capt. William Bones

Ah yes, Botting (I assume that's where you found the information?). I did a quick search through the Newgate Calendar and there's no mention of a George Wood, so I don't know what Botting's source is. However, a websearch for Wood turned up a much better reference to Grose's dictionary (1785) - of which I have a copy.

Walking the Plank - A mode of destroying devoted persons or officers in a mutiny or ship-board, by blindfolding them, and obliging them to walk on a plank lais over the ship's side; by this means, as the mutineers suppose, avoiding the penalty of murder.

Still not pirates, still not GAoP, and still not Stede Bonnet, but a little earlier than the 19thC references.

Oh, and my Gosse rejoinder was somewhat tongue in cheek too. :huh:

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk